What do you think are the best...

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited December 2011 in MTB general
... MTB parts we have ever seen? I don't particularly mean in absolute terms, but is there anything that sticks out that at its time was so far ahead of the rest, or revolutionary in its concept? Stuff such as:

- Full bike
- Frame
- Forks
- Groupset

Well anything really! Don't forget to name the year if you can!

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    you supersonic.. dont know what year you were made but i will guess late 70s or early 80s..
    why no matter what the problem you have the knowledge to help and answer.. :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    indexed gears.

working disc brakes.

viable Belt drive.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    delcol wrote:
    you supersonic.. dont know what year you were made but i will guess late 70s or early 80s..
    why no matter what the problem you have the knowledge to help and answer.. :wink:

Late 70s, but I can confirm I don't work very well! Need a strip and service...

Actually, forget I said that haha!
  • Hope Disc brakes, which is why it's so sad.
  • supersonic
    For the list I made, I go for:

- The original Z2 Bomber circa 1997: showed the way to the rest with good stiffness, plush feel and damping that worked.

- Frame: Marin Mount Vision 1997: same as above - suspension that actually worked with a pivot position in a good place and solid construction.

- Bike: Saracen Nzyme 1999: the original £300 superbike - 24 speed, sus forks, alloy frame and V brakes were unheard of for this price.

Groupset: New Deore 2000 - it just worked. Just didn't need anything else!
  • Supertacky Minions. A-Mazing tyres.

The Shimano HT2 BB and crankset. Not sure when this was 1st introduced.

Disk brakes in general. Thank god we aren't still using canti/v-brakes... I enjoy being able to stop in the wet!

Lock on grips... I felt like a fag having to buy/borrow my mum's hair spray!
  • supersonic
    I remember when V brakes were a revolution ;-). Still not sure HT2 is better than Octalink lol.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    quick release wheels :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    the Maverick Speedball.
    Ok it was shoot but it opened up the essential dropper seatpost window.

The Scott Endorphin soft tail frame
    Amazing frame and still holds an element of desire too me.

apart from disc brakes, indexed gears, full suspension its gotta be the 29er :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Fork - Fox 36 Vanilla

Frame - Mount Vision or GT Lobo (a very nice early carbon frame)

Full Bike - Clockwork Orange (brushed alloy) I used to long after one of these as a youngster....or Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Groupset - 2011 XTR just stunning

Brakes - Magura HS 22
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Interesting there was an article in MCN on a similar thread about the 10 most pointless inventions. Things like single sided swing arms, v4 motors etc.

in the top 10 good things I'd say:
    - Propedal - I like the set and forget capability and find I hardly ever touch my rear shock, but I am constantly fiddling with my moco on a trail.

- bar ends - Some short stubbies on a flat bar makes a huge difference to the ride.

- disc brakes - another +1 for the idea of brakes that are disconnected from the rim.

- reinforced rims - strong light rims just take a load of hassle away from owning and using mtbs.

pointless inventions for bikes
    - saw cut rotors
    - press fit BB
    - aluminum chain rings
    - lefty suspension forks (same argument as single sided swing arm)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    2005 Ibis Mojo - the original full carbon super trail bike, and the HD and sl-r versions are even better :D

rockshox reverb - a adjustable seatpost that actually works all the time!!

shimano dynasis - ten speed wide range cassettes, that allow all the gears you need on a 1x10 setup with a full chain guide

wide bars - so much more control, its scary

superstar nano tech pedals, simply the best pedals ive ever used, outstanding

schwalbe nobby nics - a somewhat controversial choice probably, but imo there isnt a lighter, grippier, faster, long lasting tyre out there

bolt through axles - fox, shimano, maxle, x-12, whatever, why oh why is the qr still around on some trail bikes?!

disc brakes - self explanatory really

kashima coated fox suspension - i didnt think it would make much difference tbh, but shit a brick it sure as hell does along with the new seals, so much so i'll probably get my rp23 upgraded when i send it off for service!!
  • Grip shift. I loved it on my 91 Peugeot Altitude.

21 speed gears. Why do we now have 30 gears when they all cross over each other.

Toe clips. The cheap SPD.

SPD. Better than toe clips.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Still not sure HT2 is better than Octalink lol.

Better:

Wider bearings moving stiffness more into the frame shell.

Wider bearings in general mean the axel has a wider footing than can come from a shell unit.

No need for a crank puller, so no more cross treading the screw in.

Axel combiened to make 2 piece, again improveing stiffness if done correctly.

Pre-loading and locking to the axel is much better than 2 bolts holding each side on (same as aheadset system, no need for threads, and problems coming from that)

Not against Octalink but square taper - in refit of crank means they are in exactly the same place meaning nothing to adjust when it comes the the front mech.

Easy fitting of chain devices.

No so good:

Pre-load - always room to get this not quite right reducing life.

Sealing may not be as good as the bearing is more exposed.
  • supersonic
    Some interesting and well demonstrated points and products.

I don't always buy into the 'stiffer is better' argument, and certainly believe that many riders (especially lighter ones) can't tell any difference anyway. This is why QR 9mm is still here, and why I like Octalink as it is still fairly stiff, and the bearings last much longer. Hardly any weight penalty either.
    Pre-loading and locking to the axel is much better than 2 bolts holding each side on (same as aheadset system, no need for threads, and problems coming from that)

HT2 works that way ie two small 5mm bolts, but GXP and some others still use a gert big crank bolt that preloads and fits via an interefrence fit.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    29er so good

Tubeless tyres.... less ag, lighter, run lower pressures with no pinching

dropper seat posts.... makes so much difference to adjust your seat posn on the tech sections on the fly then boost it back up to pedal up stuff
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ohhhh fark i left out the santa cruz blur 4x :shock: i still dont think that there has been a similarly good value, all-round ripper since, and why santa cruz refuse to revive it is beyond my comprehension, a carbon blur 4x would sell by the truck load
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I can't remember years sorry, but:

Original XT SPD's
    The threadless headset (Dia Compe Aheadset)
    UN 52 Bottom Bracket
    Rapid Fire Plus Shifters
    Nike Poobah shoes
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I've just realised how old I am with that post.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Shimano XT765 groupset introduced 2002 or so I think. The first groupset where everything worked like it was supposed to and still looks great. Plus it had the best crank standard ever OCTALINK.

Lock on grips first saw them in about 2000 they cost a mint but worked and have never gone back to throttle grips since.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR from 2004 the first full suss that seemed to work in every gear sat down or stood up.

Rockshox Rebas from 2004 first reliable air fork that didnt go down every 5 miles and meant the shock pump could be left in the shed.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    Plus it had the best crank standard ever OCTALINK.

Yay!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Plus it had the best crank standard ever OCTALINK.

Yay!

Loved my XT HT1 crankset like a blooming fool I fell for the HT2 and ebayed my still spinning smoothly after 3 years crankset + BB and bought a new external bearing crankset which appeared to be a money making machine for bearing manufacturers. :x
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I think the original magura hydro rim brakes deserve a mention, in a time of cantilevers these were a revelation and surely laid the foundations for the disc brake revolution we have today.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    GT LTS frame - one of the first decent working downhill full suspension frames.

The first marzocchi suspension forks with the seperate brace - they were so damn cool, and probably still some of the plushest forks ever.

ZZYZX forks - because I always wanted some.

Original RS Boxxers - Because, in my opinion, they were the first proper downhill fork.

Lock-On grips - No more sliding around on the handlebar

Riser handlebars - I remember when these were a bit of a rariety, thankgod their not now.

Specialized Brain suspension system - in my view, a great idea that should have carried on.

Quick release in general - safe explanatory

should do for now I think, there are plenty more though
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    replaceable mech hangers.... no more having to mess around bending them back or worse having to replace a perfectley good frame...
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    lots of the main ones covered, but I will add another one for disc brakes - whilst I missed their invention I still remember the impact my first set of simple Shimano disc brakes made to my riding.

I would add the crudcatcher and neoprene fork / RRP mud sheild thing (and however came up with the old innertube version before-hand).

Air suspension.
  • light weight strong helmets glad i had mine on today when i come off on wet wood bridge and slammed down on my side
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lycra
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools