Round one to Cav

2»

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    RichN95 wrote:
    markmod wrote:
    :) Glad my vote made the difference. Well deserved winner I reckon!

It's good job you voted, it was very close:

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)

Notice I didn't say how many times I had voted :wink:

Wow the worlds gone crazy.... Pro cycling becomes a main stream sport! You can just imagine the bat and ball club (BBC) top 'nkobs' saying "why haven't we got any of this 'bicycle cycling racing' whatever it is, on our schedule?, some bodies head must roll!"
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    What an incredible end to a genuinely outstanding year for Cav. Absolutely made up for him - and I think (as with everything else he does) he really wasn't there for a runners up prize. A true cycling legend. Great for those involved that the world champs isn't ever too far from his thoughts.

Lastly - is it just me, or did he run up on stage and then literally grapple the prize off Charlton?!!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Yes bravo Cav, what a year for him.
  • markmod wrote:

Wow the worlds gone crazy.... Pro cycling becomes a main stream sport! You can just imagine the bat and ball club (BBC) top 'nkobs' saying "why haven't we got any of this 'bicycle cycling racing' whatever it is, on our schedule?, some bodies head must roll!"

To think they used to give the Tour of Britain a lousy highlights slot on Sunday Grandstand a week after the event. Nearly 50% of the vote is not bad for a sportsman who when it comes to free to view sports mainly appears on ITV4. The BBC don't deserve cycling and I hope ITV4 increases their coverage further still next year to leave the BBC with egg on their faces yet again.

This is great for cycling and shows how far the sport has come in a short space of time. Well done Cav; now let's hope he can have a good year with Sky.
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    Fantastic, or is it Cavtastic....

However, there was something missing......his lead out train....where were Martin, Eisel & Renshaw.... :wink:

haha, but if he hadn't won the worlds i don't think he would have won spoty, and he didn't have any of those guys there, i think next year we will see how good he really is with renshaw and gossey have their own lead outs but i bet cav still gets the most big wins
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    markmod wrote:

They've got a long way to go, by the way they wrote it up on the BBC Sport website:

"Cavendish won five stages of this year's Tour de France - including the final time trial in Paris - to clinch the green jersey awarded to the race's best sprinter for the first time."

As I recall, the final time trial was in Grenoble and CAV definitely didn't win it.

If this had said "Manchester United manager Arsene Wenger said he was very pleased that his Chelsea team had qualified for the quarter finals of Euro 2012", John Motson would have been sacked and there would be a public enquiry into the licence fee.

When I saw this last night, I thought "some pedant will email in and get them to change it." but it is still there now.

Ho hum, guess it'll have to be me then.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• koelln-cav.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    markmod wrote:
    :) Glad my vote made the difference. Well deserved winner I reckon!

It's good job you voted, it was very close:

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)
    Darren Clarke 42,188 (12.34%)
    Mo Farah 29,780 (8.71%)
    Luke Donald 23,854 (6.98%)
    Andy Murray 18,754 (5.48%)
    Andrew Strauss 17,994 (5.26%)
    Alastair Cook 13,038 (3.81%)
    Rory McIlroy 11,915 (3.48%)
    Dai Greene 9,022 (2.64%)
    Amir Khan 6,262 (1.83%)

Every post you make of late appears to be pointing out the pedantic elements. Correct and accurate yes, however I wonder if you have an imagination or care to hypothesize or get kicks out of legends and aspects jumping the border of reality.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Every post you make of late appears to be pointing out the pedantic elements. Correct and accurate yes, however I wonder if you have an imagination or care to hypothesize or get kicks out of legends and aspects jumping the border of reality.

Strange. What I took to be a humorous reply by Rich, you took as being serious. Perhaps he should have included a :wink: for you benefit
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    [deleted, already posted]

well done cav. he made some good points in his babbling speech too
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    is there anywhere online i can watch the cycling/cav feature on SPOTY? Im abroad so iPlayer doesnt work for me.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • tumblr_lwmtl3V0Bd1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice to see Cav paying tribute to his comic hero by wearing that suit
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Looks like they pasted his head onto someone else's body.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I see in that photo, Peta is using the classic 'cross the legs to reduce height' technique.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I see in that photo, Peta is using the classic 'cross the legs to reduce height' technique.

Or maybe she is busting to go to the ladies?

:D
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    Watched him win the green jersey in Paris. Had the young' un on my shoulders screaming "cav cav cav !".

It was only when I was in Paris I realised just how high profile he is on the continent. Massive pictures of him on the Champs Elysees and in all the sports shops. He, together with our other top cyclists, has done a lot to raise the profile of cycling and he clearly deserved to win SPOTY, 50% of the vote apparantly.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    pneumatic wrote:
    markmod wrote:

They've got a long way to go, by the way they wrote it up on the BBC Sport website:

"Cavendish won five stages of this year's Tour de France - including the final time trial in Paris - to clinch the green jersey awarded to the race's best sprinter for the first time."

As I recall, the final time trial was in Grenoble and CAV definitely didn't win it.

When I saw this last night, I thought "some pedant will email in and get them to change it." but it is still there now.

Ho hum, guess it'll have to be me then.

Sorted :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Nice to see Cav paying tribute to his comic hero by wearing that suit

and I used to wear a tie like that in the 1980s.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Squaggles wrote:
    Nice to see Cav paying tribute to his comic hero by wearing that suit

And I bet you cut a dashing figure of a man :roll:

Looks a great suit to me.