Cycling deaths in London

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Cannot, apparently, be discussed in the London Assembly. Well, they could be, if Tory AMs hadn't walked out of the Assembly, thereby making it inquorate.

What a lovely bunch.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    This sort of thing needs to be shouted from the rooftops. The press should report that this has happened prominently to shame them publicly. Unfortunately it won't happen because they view cyclists as a scourge on the earth as bad as pdf files and immigrants.
  • ketsbaia
    It's not the first time they've done it, either. Wnakers.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ketsbaia wrote:

Tories? Surely not. They're known as 'the nice party' for a reason.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ketsbaia
    I'm waiting for one of their many sympathisers to come along and try to justify it.

*drums fingers*

*counts fatalities*
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Don't think even the Tories are pro-premature-death-of-cyclists though.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

So you're a sympathizer now too?! :wink:

They're vankers though...
    MTB/CX

• ketsbaia
    bails87 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

The London Assembly members (and I use this term in the widest sense) appear to be.
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Didn't they have some vaguely reasonable motive for the walkout?

I can't remember to be honest.
  • bails87
    No, they're wnakers and they want you to DIE!

Also, I heard Boris Johnson eats kittens. Throws them in a pan of boiling water. 'Land-lobsters', he calls them.
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    No, they're wnakers and they want you to DIE!

Also, I heard Boris Johnson eats kittens. Throws them in a pan of boiling water. 'Land-lobsters', he calls them.

I heard Cameron's bike helmet was dipped into a vat of child tears before it was sold to him. A specific request apparently.
  • ketsbaia
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Didn't they have some vaguely reasonable motive for the walkout?

Yes. They don't give a sh1t.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I'm waiting for one of their many sympathisers to come along and try to justify it.

*drums fingers*

*counts fatalities*
    It's Tory policy to encourage more deaths to reduce NHS dependency, pension costs, welfare payments etc and fits in with their general dislike of Johny Foreigner etc. I can only support them in their quest to reverse population growth.
  • ketsbaia
    CiB wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

*drums fingers*

*counts fatalities*
    It's Tory policy to encourage more deaths to reduce NHS dependency, pension costs, welfare payments etc and fits in with their general dislike of Johny Foreigner etc. I can only support them in their quest to reverse population growth.

I admire your honesty. :D
  • bails87
    They should just make every woman wear an Eric Pickles mask*. No more babies then.

*Masks should also be worn on the backs of heads....
    MTB/CX

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ketsbaia wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

*drums fingers*

*counts fatalities*

I admire your honesty. :D
    It was me wot put em up to it in the fust place. Don't tell anyone though. :wink:
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    Cannot, apparently, be discussed in the London Assembly. Well, they could be, if Tory AMs hadn't walked out of the Assembly, thereby making it inquorate.

What a lovely bunch.

Do you have a source for this... That sounds disgusting
  • bails87
    http://road.cc/content/news/48772-no-gl ... six-months
    No GLA debate on killer junctions and cycling safety as London's Tories stage [second] walkout in six months
    MTB/CX

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Before the lynch mob really warms up here is more information on why the walk-outs weren't about cycling, but instead coincided with the topic.

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2011/06/to ... k-out.html

Importantly it states "The London Assembly is not a decision-making body, it's a scrutiny body", so these meetings weren't going to enact something that day that we are now going to miss out on.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    davmaggs wrote:
    Before the lynch mob really warms up here is more information on why the walk-outs weren't about cycling, but instead coincided with the topic.

Importantly it states "The London Assembly is not a decision-making body, it's a scrutiny body", so these meetings weren't going to enact something that day that we are now going to miss out on.

Irrelevant. This is about the message their walk out sends. That's twice this year that a tory walk out has coincided with debates about cyclist safety. I find the timing to be incredibly insensitive given the recent spate of deaths in London. I urge you all to write to your tory representatives and express your displeasure:

http://www.writetothem.com/write?who=39 ... %2Fcontact

It's not good enough.
  • ketsbaia
    davmaggs wrote:

Why didn't they walk out yesterday, then?
  • bails87
    davmaggs wrote:

Bloody striking public sector workers.....

:wink:
    MTB/CX

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    ketsbaia wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

Email them and ask them, I am merely posting up what I could find after I decided to look into it following the uninformed rants that went up.

I suspect they walked out because it suited how the process works and worked around the timetable of the organisation, but we on the outside remain fixated on the title of the debate because we have an interest in it.

The subject of the debate is coincidental, and had been another interest group then forums for those people would have been demanding a hanging or two. Remember it is a debate, there was no outcome expected.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    davmaggs wrote:
    The subject of the debate is coincidental, and had been another interest group then forums for those people would have been demanding a hanging or two. Remember it is a debate, there was no outcome expected.

Presumably issues are debated in order to see if anything needs doing (i.e. legislation, cash, etc), not simply to fill a rainy afternoon. If the debate doesn't happen then there won't be any action.

Even without immediate action, debate can be useful in bringing issues to the public/politicians attention.

a serious case of small cogs
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Here's a reply I've had:

Thank you for your email. I apologise for some delay in replying, but I have been in an important meeting with the Army London District CO.

I did walk out with Conservative colleagues and the Independent Member from the Assembly Plenary, but it is not true to say, and we utterly refute all suggestions, that we in some way walked out today because of a lack of regard for recent cycle deaths.

All motions today, including our own, were lost by this action. All the parties who have conspired to deny the Conservative Group fair and equitable chairmanship of Assembly committees will have known that if they did so this time we would leave. But that did not stop them playing their games.

Given this, you must ask them why, given our stance on representation, they chose to ignore the democratic will of Londoners in favour of their own narrow advantage and scuppered debate on all motions before the Assembly today.

Good wishes

Richard Tracey JP AM
    London Assembly Member for Merton & Wandsworth

Regardless of their motives, the timing is very unfortunate. 2 cycling debates scuppered in 7 months. The second just a few weeks after 3 more fatalities.
  • ketsbaia
    davmaggs wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

I suspect they walked out because it suited how the process works and worked around the timetable of the organisation, but we on the outside remain fixated on the title of the debate because we have an interest in it.

I suspect they walked out because they don't give a flying fig about cyclist deaths.
  • It sounds like illegal strike action to me, deciding not to work without holding a proper audited ballot. As employees, funded by public money, they should have their own book thrown at them. I don't pay toad tax for them to play silly party politics.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I wonder whether the Labour members deliberately timed their motions to coincide with what they knew would cause the Tory members to leave, meaning they could undertake this bit of PR spin?

Then who are the people not taking cycling deaths seriously?

Why not simply table the motion to avoid any potential walk-outs? It cannot be that hard, unless you deliberately manipulate the process.

This thread sounds like a bunch of tin-foil-hatters with their fingers in their ears.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    It sounds like illegal strike action to me, deciding not to work without holding a proper audited ballot. As employees, funded by public money, they should have their own book thrown at them. I don't pay toad tax for them to play silly party politics.
    :lol:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    This seems to have a bit more info in

http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... ional.html
    FCN 9 || FCN 5