Reba RL 100mm or Fox Evolution 32 Float RL

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
As above, assuming cost isnt an issue, which is the better fork? (im leaning towards the fox ATM)

Cheers

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    You get the RS fans you get the Fox fans, out of the two I would have the Fox. But they are both cracking forks..money no object take a look at the DT Swiss XRM forks.....niiiice....lighter and long service intervals.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    From the point of view of the Cube's you're looking at there are a couple more upgrades to the Race around the drivetrain. Maybe not enough to warrant the £90 on their own though.

Have you looked at a 2011 Cube LTD Team. Reba fork and similar kit elsewhere but less that £700 from Winstanleys.
  • I know, did look at that, but due to tax break I will get, Im going on cycle scheme as I will pay less than that for the Race!

But I have used both Recons & Rebas before, and always wanted fox, just never seemed to buy any on their own due to the rather large difference in price, but £90 is nothing really. But, im no expert in this area, so dont know how both these current models preform
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The reba is lighter and more adjustable, and is the better fork.
  • Pudseyp
    Sorry are you looking for a bike with forks or a fork on it's own ??

The Reba is a great fork but if you can pick up a DT for similar money that's what I would have lighter and the same adjustability as the RS.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:

In your opinion ;)

Not everyone wants the pain of having to setup dual air on top of rebound etc. I bet the average rider couldn't even tell the difference if put through a blind test between the forks.
  • No, I have a choice of two bikes, one with the Reba, one with the Fox.
  • Pudseyp
    No, I have a choice of two bikes, one with the Reba, one with the Fox.

At the end of the day its your choice, two good quality forks that are comparable with each other...you have the core RS lovers and the fanatic Fox fans..go with what you like as if you base it on opinions of people on here you will never decide !!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I know, did look at that, but due to tax break I will get, Im going on cycle scheme as I will pay less than that for the Race!

Careful of the small print. You are only leasing the bike and the recommended payment is now 25% of the purchase price (approx £250 in your case) at the end of year 1 if you want to buy the bike. Some schemes are though more generous and allow you to keep leasing the bike and then buy it after a few years when it is 'worthless'

PS Either bike will be great - I've a 2011 Race sitting in the next room waiting for santa to let me use it!
  • Yea, looked into that,

As im higher rate tax, its quite a decent saving on the bike over the initial 12 month period. I can then pay 7% (£70) to lease for a further 3 years, after which point they retain the 7% and I keep the bike.

I think ill end up going with the Race (Fox forks) as its what my heart tells me! (Head says Rebas!)
  • supersonic
    Briggo wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

In your opinion ;)

Not everyone wants the pain of having to setup dual air on top of rebound etc. I bet the average rider couldn't even tell the difference if put through a blind test between the forks.

This is the thing: I think they would notice a difference in the possibilities! Especially the adjustable low speed compression damping. Dual air is a doddle really!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Reba. It really is a superb fork, bags of adjustability and easy to service.
  • supersonic
    Looking at the rest of the bike specs though, they are very similar - though the Race gets better hubs. Wouldn't be enough to sway me from the cheaper Reba equipped Pro though - could always sell the wheels, buy an even better set and then have a lighter, bike for the same money as the Race ;-)
  • i dont think the Reb is the dual air one on the Pro you know!
  • supersonic
    All Rebas should be Dual Air - the only one I know that isn't was one made for Specialized.
  • I know I "should" get the Rebas, but I honestly think I will always look back and wish I had got the Fox's if I get the Rebas
    as I have always wanted a pair (even if they are not quite as good!) Where if I buy the fox's I dont think ill ever see people on the trail with Rebas and think "dam wish I had got them"

I think this just comes from been a tarts roadie at heart!!
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I know I "should" get the Rebas, but I honestly think I will always look back and wish I had got the Fox's if I get the Rebas
    as I have always wanted a pair (even if they are not quite as good!) Where if I buy the fox's I dont think ill ever see people on the trail with Rebas and think "dam wish I had got them"

I think this just comes from been a tarts roadie at heart!!
    Then get the Foxes and forget the Rebas.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    Might as well have named the thread "which of these looks best and will impress my mates most" lol ;-)
  • Nah, ill only be riding with a couple of mates, who have much higher kit than me, its more a personal thing I pine after them.

I honestly wanted to decide with my head and get the Rebas, but cant seem to do it!
  • Pudseyp
    Like I have said what ever you choose they are both decent forks...I have Fox on my Giant and they are brilliant, my mate has Reba's and he says there the best forks he has ever had...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You will look more of an idiot any day of the week if you buy a product that is worse to impress yourself.
  • Pudseyp
    You will look more of an idiot any day of the week if you buy a product that is worse to impress yourself.

But a Fox fork is still quality and will do its job as well as the Reba...
  • supersonic
    But it won't. The Reba is smoother and more adjustable, lighter, easier to service... the Fox is good. The Reba is great. The Pro/Factory forks compete better.
  • You will look more of an idiot any day of the week if you buy a product that is worse to impress yourself.

That's the thing with Fox - they are the Alfa Romeo of the bike world...
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    But it won't. The Reba is smoother and more adjustable, lighter, easier to service... the Fox is good. The Reba is great. The Pro/Factory forks compete better.

In your opinion of fact ? icon_wink.gif
    Smoother ? more adjustable.....yes...lighter marginaly..I think its more of brand loyalty...I have had more Fox than RS and they have been fit for purpose and I have never had any problems..you have had great experience with RS and will choose RS over Fox..

There will always be considerations, price, performance and yes looks...it would be a boring world if we all chose the same.
  • supersonic
    Nothing to do with brand loyalty, but the fact I have ridden both forks and concluded that for myself. As I said, the higher end stuff compares better. This is not Fox vs RS, but that fork vs the other.
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    Nothing to do with brand loyalty, but the fact I have ridden both forks and concluded that for myself. As I said, the higher end stuff compares better. This is not Fox vs RS, but that fork vs the other.

I was generalising....
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i really dont get how so many people can say rockshox are so much better than fox, i have both, comparable models, revelations and 150mm float rlc's, and imo, the fox's are better, smoother, easier to adjust, yes they need servicing more, but in my experience atleast, the same is true of some rockshox forks, get what you want imo, the differences are negligible at best, i prefer the fox's because they offer a more supportive ride, without compromising small bump compliance imo, each to there own
  • Pudseyp

That's the thing with Fox - they are the Alfa Romeo of the bike world...

Are they ?? utter shite....

Have a look at all the premium brands of bikes (over a grand) and compare how many come with Fox Forx as standard....and how many premium FS bikes have RS cans near zero....so my friend your talking bollox
  • supersonic
    i really dont get how so many people can say rockshox are so much better than fox

But not many people are saying that - got to look at the forks in question.