Remember when Vino won LBL in 2010?

2»

Comments

• hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Tusher wrote:
    You'd think that Mrs Kolobnov would have noticed an extra 100,000 euros in the joint account, or her husband's account.

He's probably a seasoned hand at sneaking a extra couple of bikes in the house. So, 100k euros in used notes would be a doddle to hide.
  • hstiles wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    You'd think that Mrs Kolobnov would have noticed an extra 100,000 euros in the joint account, or her husband's account.

He's probably a seasoned hand at sneaking a extra couple of bikes in the house. So, 100k euros in used notes would be a doddle to hide.

Those 500 Euro notes are great aren't they
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • On that video, at 7.40 see him kiss his chain.

He may have offered Kolobnev the money being nervous to get a big result to prove people wrong, but he would have beaten him even if he hadn't. Also Kolob was likely on drugs at that point.

Vino has legendary status in any case regardless.

x610-5.jpg

e8405acc746c57e335b8d938f5ce6f29-ge-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    On that video, at 7.40 see him kiss his chain.

He may have offered Kolobnev the money being nervous to get a big result to prove people wrong, but he would have beaten him even if he hadn't. Also Kolob was likely on drugs at that point.

Vino has legendary status in any case regardless.

Frenchie -- does cheating matter to you at all? Is it all just about style?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    astana26707_wideweb__470x306,0.jpg

CHAMPION
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fulls ... est%20News
    This puts it into perspective IMO - the fact that his account was hacked just like the News Of the World (ie Murdoch) has done with phones is frankly far worse than gifting someone the win.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Hasn't this sort of thing historically gone on behind the scenes, and no one batted an eye lid until now?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    You ve got to wonder if all the post Tour Crits will exist if they crack down hard on is - that is exactly the same thing (albeit a much smaller prize)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,126
    Ms Tree wrote:
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9912&status=True&catname=Latest News
    This puts it into perspective IMO - the fact that his account was hacked just like the News Of the World (ie Murdoch) has done with phones is frankly far worse than gifting someone the win.

People are assuming there has been a hacking solely based on claims Vino made before this story broke. There are many ways these emails could have made it into the hands of this magazine that don't involve breaking the law.
  • Here we go. Back when Cyclocosm did his 'how the race was won'. He said that looking back, after the revelations, he stands by what he said.

http://vimeo.com/11286958
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Who cares what Cyclo said?

The question still stands does the cheating matter to you? Drugs/money -- does it all pale in comparison to a cool attack?

Does it matter at all?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,794
    I'd say buying is different to doping.

But that's just me.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's the selling of a major race I have more of a problem with. Vino buying one - well he wanted to win so he made an offer - whilst it doesn't sit entirely easily with me to some extent I can relate to that - I find it harder to relate to someone selling a monument.

I still think it's more likely Kolobnev knew he was cooked though and was just making the most of the position he was in - guarantee a second place and pick up some extra money.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I'd say buying is different to doping.

But that's just me.

Ironically most of us are quite happy with the idea of Vino buying a race - thus 100% guarenteeing victory.

However, Vino doping to improve his chances of winning is a major insult to the sport....

(Yes, I know it's spelt wrong!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Kolobnev's been dropped from Katusha for 2012.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    So Kolobnev and Vino both doped (looking that way for Kolobnev) and they both may have race fixed; sounds like a couple of professionals to me.
    They get paid to do a job and even though it's not "right"; it is Professional Racing!

Notice the "Professional" in that sentence and not "Amateur". They are paid to do a job; end of.

I'm afriad it's like liking Leopards but hating the spots. It is what it is. Just got to suck it up and enjoy the ride! :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • vino+1.jpg

I'm not sure it's possible for Vino to go down- or up- in my estimation any more. Just look at him!
  • jerry3571
    Wow! You need new glasses! ;)
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • I might be reading the thread wrongly but do I detect some sympathy for this man?

Vino is as bad a Ricco in my opinion, few have done as much to make the sport we love a mockery than him and I only wish he would retire and stick to it.
  • rick_chasey
    I might be reading the thread wrongly but do I detect some sympathy for this man?

Vino is as bad a Ricco in my opinion, few have done as much to make the sport we love a mockery than him and I only wish he would retire and stick to it.

I want to know if Kolobnev got the cash or not.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    jerry3571 wrote:
    So Kolobnev and Vino both doped (looking that way for Kolobnev) and they both may have race fixed; sounds like a couple of professionals to me.
    They get paid to do a job and even though it's not "right"; it is Professional Racing!

Notice the "Professional" in that sentence and not "Amateur". They are paid to do a job; end of.

I'm afriad it's like liking Leopards but hating the spots. It is what it is. Just got to suck it up and enjoy the ride! :wink:

-Jerry

Where do you draw the line, or don't you? Say in next year's TdF Andy takes a hammer to Cadel deciding that's the only way to win, it's OK, he a professional paid to win at all costs regardless of rules? Or are there clearly defined acceptable forms of cheating? We're not talking about a bump in a sprint, or accelerating when someone's dropped a chain, we're talking drugs and cash payments, it's really not alright.
  • jerry3571
    edited December 2011
    Cycling is all about how much you can get away with. It's all part of the game; deals done between riders, deals done between Managers, doping and anything else. Most riders want to win as they want to, because the Team wants to, because the sponsor will pull out if they don't see results.
    All these are the only factors which matter. Doping Control can pick off riders when they are caught out by a new test or if a Team/Rider screws up so Doping will continue until there are 100% fullproof tests which will never happen.

Hoping for a time when this sport is clean and fair is like wishing for world peace; it ain't going to happen.It aint right but it's all we got. Shrug your shoulders and hope for better times and enjoy the racing.

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Bakunin
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Cycling is all about how much you can get away with.

That is pure lunacy...too much holiday punch?
  • jerry3571
    Bakunin wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

Ah, the cry of a Newbie!!

Read about 10-15 books on cycling- Rough Ride and Willy Voet's book are good starters then read Procycling for about 15 years and then the news that comes out of here and other cycling sites and then join the dots. It's an ugly picture.
    Sorry mate; no happy ending I'm afraid.

I personally enjoy literally the racing and all the underhand stuff too. It's like "Chess on Wheels" (thanks Duffers) with a 1960's spy thriller. That's professional cycling.

At least the riders don't catch trains as they used to in the olden days. :wink:

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Bakunin
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

Ah, the cry of a Newbie!!

Read about 10-15 books on cycling- Rough Ride and Willy Voet's book are good starters then read Procycling for about 15 years and then the news that comes out of here and other cycling sites and then join the dots. It's an ugly picture.
    Sorry mate; no happy ending I'm afraid.

I personally enjoy literally the racing and all the underhand stuff too. It's like "Chess on Wheels" (thanks Duffers) with a 1960's spy thriller. That's professional cycling.

At least the riders don't catch trains as they used to in the olden days. :wink:

-Jerry

Thanks for the advice -- but not really needed though. I'm a lot of things, but newbie isn't one of them.

I was taken with the sentence -- "Its an ugly picture." Yes, it is ugly -- doping, cheating, and incompetence have made it so. Wins may be gifted, yet buying them makes me cringe.

I can't celebrate a disaster. Today's cycling is not the same as it was in the 40s, and Kimmage's book (which you cite) is a counterpoint to everything you like.

I'm pessimistic, but not cynical like you.

I never could stomach pro wrestling...
  • jerry3571
    I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet except you seem to be upset about things. I have an attitude of that these problems have exsisted for well over 100 years and nothing we say or do will stop it.
    It's Human nature at the end of the day. The amount of scandal seems to depend on how much Press and Anti Doping Authorities want to find. If they try harder, they will find more problems but new bike riders will come into fill the gaps of any Doping Bans.
    Only the most careful or well informed Teams will have a fairly trouble free exsistance and god knows what goes on there to acheive that.
    I think that it's all wrong but there is little that can be done about it and that is the nature of the beast. Just got to suck it or be angry, disassappointed, frustrated and all the rest. What else can you do?
    There will be no Nirvana.

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cheating in a sport? What about racism? Corruption? Violence? That's just the way it is, right?
  • Bakunin
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet except you seem to be upset about things. I have an attitude of that these problems have exsisted for well over 100 years and nothing we say or do will stop it.
    It's Human nature at the end of the day. The amount of scandal seems to depend on how much Press and Anti Doping Authorities want to find. If they try harder, they will find more problems but new bike riders will come into fill the gaps of any Doping Bans.
    Only the most careful or well informed Teams will have a fairly trouble free exsistance and god knows what goes on there to acheive that.
    I think that it's all wrong but there is little that can be done about it and that is the nature of the beast. Just got to suck it or be angry, disassappointed, frustrated and all the rest. What else can you do?
    There will be no Nirvana.

-Jerry

Yes, we would probably be much closer than one would think.

But I don't do "human nature" and I think that the sport can be fixed.

There may be no Nirvana -- but I think it is worth a shot to try.