Remember when Vino won LBL in 2010?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2011 in Pro race
And we all boo'ed?

This might make you boo more. Or less, depending

http://www.swissinfo.ch/fre/nouvelles_a ... d=31709572

He may have paid Kolobnev €100K to not bother contesting the final.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Is that cheaper or more expensive than the drugs?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Kolobnev must be a damn good actor then.. He is cooked at the finish.. Worthy of an Oscar for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8GI3yUPOdM
    cartoon.jpg
  • pottssteve wrote:

It's more expensive than the €20k prize money :shock:

http://www.letour.fr/2010/LBL/COURSE/us ... ulier.html.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Doobz wrote:
    Kolobnev must be a damn good actor then.. He is cooked at the finish.. Worthy of an Oscar for sure

Good bargaining from him then.
  • Doobz
    Doobz wrote:

Good bargaining from him then.

lol for sure.. :wink:
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    pottssteve wrote:

It's more expensive than the €20k prize money :shock:

http://www.letour.fr/2010/LBL/COURSE/us ... ulier.html.

I'd guess in the grand scheme of things, most pro cyclists have no idea what they monetary prize is for a race. I tend to think it's irrelevant for the most part. You earn your money via salary and endorsments.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    iainf72 wrote:

I'd guess in the grand scheme of things, most pro cyclists have no idea what they monetary prize is for a race. I tend to think it's irrelevant for the most part. You earn your money via salary and endorsments.

And selling races. :wink:

It helps explains why Kolobnev is always the bridesmaid and never the bride.
  • rick_chasey
    You saying Boogerd sold his races?
  • andyp
    I hadn't considered it until you mentioned it. Given how often he threw away a winning position though, it might be the logical explanation.
  • andyp
    Email discussion between Vino and Kolobnev now published;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/emails- ... -published
  • rick_chasey
    Only in cycling...
  • That's pretty funny.

And we have Vino nominated for something or other to do in the Kazak government.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The Earth is round and God sees everything
    Well that's ok then.

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 21006.html
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Not the first time and certainly won't be the last - how many rainbow jerseys have been 'bought' over the years...
  • rick_chasey
    UCI say they're going to investigate?

C'mon.

It's entirely unpoliceable.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

C'mon.

"C'mon, all you have to do is bowl three no-balls, it's entirely unpoliceable!"

Makes you wonder how that newspaper got the emails, though.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

C'mon.

*no idea what that baseball reference is*
  • afx237vi wrote:

Excellent point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

C'mon.

*no idea what that baseball reference is*

Cricket, not baseball: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15573463

Not saying Vino or Kolobnev necessarily broke any laws by fixing the result, but I think you're always straying into dubious territory when large sums of money change hands, and I think the Pakistani cricketers probably had similar thoughts of "who's ever going to find out" before they bagged the cash.
  • rick_chasey
    Cycling's not that binary though.

It's less about who's going to find out, and more, where do you draw the line.
  • Doobz
    edited December 2011
    Ignore me.. I only just got back in so missed the CN story etc...
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi

McQuaid seems to think they broke a rule, so the line might be clearer than we think, at least in sporting terms.

With regards to cycling not being as binary as a sport like cricket, I think it can be sometimes, especially these days when you can gamble on absolutely anything. In most races these days you can bet on things like "will rider X finish the race: yes or no" or "who will place higher on the stage: rider X or rider Y". If that's not wide open for corruption, I dunno what is.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    afx237vi wrote:

McQuaid seems to think they broke a rule, so the line might be clearer than we think, at least in sporting terms.

With regards to cycling not being as binary as a sport like cricket, I think it can be sometimes, especially these days when you can gamble on absolutely anything. In most races these days you can bet on things like "will rider X finish the race: yes or no" or "who will place higher on the stage: rider X or rider Y". If that's not wide open for corruption, I dunno what is.

The one where he didn't get his cut?

On a more serious point about gambling, surely that's the fault of the bookies that take these bets. Horse Racing which has grown with betting has proper rules to govern non-triers. But if you're dumb enough to take bets on things which an individual can control, frequently without effecting the outcome of the contest then you deserve to get shafted.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    dougzz wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

This has been going on for ages - Dean Downing is fully open about buying criteriums on Real Peloton...With greater professionalsism comes greater sums, that's all

That said, I don't like it really as I like to think the people I'm watching are working for great and noble sportsmanship reasons...but maybe I'm just young and naive

2230419887_18b416fc16.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    ddraver wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

This has been going on for ages - Dean Downing is fully open about buying criteriums on Real Peloton...With greater professionalsism comes greater sums, that's all

That said, I don't like it really as I like to think the people I'm watching are working for great and noble sportsmanship reasons...but maybe I'm just young and naive

It was revealed a few days ago that Vino had had his e-mail account hacked. As he said himself we don't really need gutter press in cycling i'd rather just talk about the racing. Looking forward to TDU starting in Jan.

This has gone on in cycling for years, at least since the 60s and i'm sure sooner as well. They even have the phrase "buy people's wheel". It's part of the sport. Didn't know the rainbow jersey had been bought in the past though
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Watching the last 5k on youtube Kolobnev looks cooked to me - from some way out. Maybe he knew that and thought second is the best I can get here - I'll take the money and agree to work with Vino rather than risk losing a podium spot and end up with nothing. That'd make sense for both of them and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I can't see that throwing such a big race makes sense even for 100k - you win big races you can command bigger wages - and it's a lot of money to take someones word on.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If Vino did indeed pay for this victory - I'm not condoning or excusing it in any way, but should point out that he probably only upgraded from second to first. It's not like he bought off the entire peleton. He did a lot of work to be in the position to win in the first place. And he might have won without the payoff anyway if Kolobnev was as cooked as people say.

The whole thing is wrong - but I think some of the press make it sound like he bought the win from everyone and if he hadn't, wouldn't have had any chance to win, etc.
  • andyp
    sherer wrote:
    It was revealed a few days ago that Vino had had his e-mail account hacked. As he said himself we don't really need gutter press in cycling i'd rather just talk about the racing. Looking forward to TDU starting in Jan.

This has gone on in cycling for years, at least since the 60s and i'm sure sooner as well. They even have the phrase "buy people's wheel". It's part of the sport. Didn't know the rainbow jersey had been bought in the past though

And who revealed his account had been 'hacked'? Why, Vino himself. :roll:
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Pokerface wrote:
    If Vino did indeed pay for this victory - I'm not condoning or excusing it in any way, but should point out that he probably only upgraded from second to first. It's not like he bought off the entire peloton. He did a lot of work to be in the position to win in the first place. And he might have won without the payoff anyway if Kolobnev was as cooked as people say.

The whole thing is wrong - but I think some of the press make it sound like he bought the win from everyone and if he hadn't, wouldn't have had any chance to win, etc.

I know professional sportsmen and women aren;t necessarily noted for intelligence, but to pay someone a 6 figure sum to throw a race you could have won, exchange details of the whole sordid affair via e-mail and then fail to delete them beggars belief.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    You'd think that Mrs Kolobnov would have noticed an extra 100,000 euros in the joint account, or her husband's account.