WTF was the point

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
The woman two doors down and her son built a snowman today, quite a good one. Yet it didn't last long. 3 teenagers coming past, took a detour from the normal path so they could knock the snowman down.

wtf was the point in that. Do they just not think that some little kid (usually) will have put time and effort into building that and may get quite upset that it's destroyed. Or do they just not care.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Some people just want to watch the world burn :(
  • Scum. Sub human scum.

I must confess though...

I was round a mates during the last lot of snow here in 'tha' London and whilst hanging out of his balcony smoking, we noticed a load of young trendy types on his development building an enormous snowman, in what seemed to us at the time a very smug manner. Over a few more ales, we became more and more incensed at their smuggitude, and so much later on, after several further ales, we went outside and laid waste to their handiwork - finishing the job, as I recall, by chucking a shoe each at it in the manner of mafia hitmen sending a message (the shoes we found discarded nearby).

In hindsight, it was probably a rather churlish, unnecessary act, but you must understand that at the time they did seem really really smug.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    What were you smoking, PCP?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yes, we were smoking PCP. What are you, my mother?! :oops:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Its health and safety gone mad. They had to push it down before it fell down on someone.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Didn't you hear, Christmas has been banned, they were the Winterval enforcement officers making sure no-one has any denominationally-specific merriment. Snowmen also have the problem of being white, racist innit.

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Scum. Sub human scum.

I must confess though...

*evidence of scum like behaviour*

Wow, I hate to pull a W1 on you, but that was quite hypocritical ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bails87 wrote:
    Snowmen also have the problem of being white, racist innit.

Hey! That's a point. Not about snowmen but about snow itself. Snow is white - snow is racist. Until we get black snow I think we should........

BAN SNOW, BAN SNOW, BAN SNOW
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why don't people ever make snow-women?

Sexist I tell ya.
  • Why don't people ever make snow-women?

Sexist I tell ya.

Because kitchens are too hot for snow?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    bails87 wrote:
    Didn't you hear, Christmas has been banned, they were the Winterval enforcement officers making sure no-one has any denominationally-specific merriment. Snowmen also have the problem of being white, racist innit.

Keep trying, eventually someone will bite :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    rjsterry wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Keep trying, eventually someone will bite :wink:

In all seriousness, The Daily Mail has banned Winterval. :D
    MTB/CX

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Just cr*p people. Some areas have higher densities of them than others, but there are always some wherever you go. Makes me tired.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Rolf F wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Snowmen also have the problem of being white, racist innit.

Hey! That's a point. Not about snowmen but about snow itself. Snow is white - snow is racist. Until we get black snow I think we should........

BAN SNOW, BAN SNOW, BAN SNOW

We get quiet a bit of yellow snow round these parts
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    You never kicked over a snowman when you were a kid?
  • SimonAH
    No. Really no.

I was into construction not destruction - still am.

• bails87
    I still think 'subhuman scum' is a bit strong for knocking a snowman over.

I can only assume gallywomack's post wasn't a serious one :wink:
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641

maybe "over-exuberant and mischievous child" would be more apt.
  • Had a similar one last year when me and the kids (5, 3 and 2 years old) made a snowman in our front garden, a couple of scrotes in their mid teens jumped over the garden wall and started to smash it up. I was making diner at the time and ran out while they were still in mid destruction, forgetting that I had a big FO kitchen knife in my hand I kept shouting whats the F***king point. They both fell over themselves trying to hop back over the wall. I sheepishly retreated back inside with a cheery hello when I saw the look of fear on my neighbours face as he was putting out his bins.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • bails87 wrote:

It's an Alan Partridge quote from 'I'm Alan Partridge', he comes out with it during some 'banter' with that other DJ after his car has been daubed with grafitti.

For my part, I'm probably slightly to the left of Partridge on matters of law and order... :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

It's an Alan Partridge quote from 'I'm Alan Partridge', he comes out with it during some 'banter' with that other DJ after his car has been daubed with grafitti.

For my part, I'm probably slightly to the left of Partridge on matters of law and order... :wink:

:lol:

Given you admitted to doing it yourself, I didn't think you actually meant it.
    MTB/CX

• Rebuild the snowman around a bollard. Watch 'em try to kick it down.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better still hide some anti-personnel mines inside, the snowman will at least go out with a bang....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    There is no point Suze - people like that lead sad and pointless lives only brightened by p*ssing other people off - unless of course your neighbours are really really smug
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Better still hide some anti-personnel mines inside, the snowman will at least go out with a bang....

Simon

Someone I know swears that he got his revenge on a cat that used his flowerbed as its litter box by burying blown-up balloons in a few likely spots
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • SimonAH

maybe "over-exuberant and mischievous child" would be more apt.

Actually I'd have to go somewhere in the middle.

I hate people making excuses for vicious behaviour. Mischevious and over-exhuberant can be applied up to about age seven or eight - after that children understand right from wrong and it simply becomes a choice of "nasty little fecker in need of a clout", "nasty little fecker who's parents are in need of a clout and a discussion on parenting skills" or "nasty little fecker who's entire neighbourhood needs bulldozing as the moral compass in the area has been so systematically downgraded over several generations that this sort of behaviour has actuall become acceptable"

For smashing snowmen you may freely substitute throwing stones at trains, cars and windows. Keying paintwork. General vandalism. Intimidation of the vulnerable etc etc. All extensions of the same moral malaise.

In the car on the way back from the airport last night I was listening to an interview with a chap who has produced a genetically modified drought resistant sourghum that has the potential to save millions of lives - and end untold suffering. He was born in a dirt poor, one-room, mud floored hut in Ethiopia to illiterate parents and knew starvation as a child. No, he was not 'rescued' by a Daddy Warbucks but acheived everything on the back of his, and his parents, hard work and determination. Just sayin' in case we get all socio-economic here (I do seem to stir it with a stick sometimes)

• rjsterry
    Giraffoto wrote:

Simon

Someone I know swears that he got his revenge on a cat that used his flowerbed as its litter box by burying blown-up balloons in a few likely spots

Like this a lot :lol:

Agree with SimonAH on this, it starts with kicking over a snowman, then a bit of graffiti or setting fire to a wheelie bin - still pretty minor, but soon someone is dropping concrete blocks off a motorway or railway bridge 'for a laugh'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    The slippery slope argument?

Hmm..
  • rjsterry

Hmm..

Less slippery slope, more adaptation. If a particular form of anti-social behaviour (a phrase now hijacked by ASBOs) occurs frequently and is not challenged, then it will become accepted. The next step up the ladder then seems less extreme compared to the background, and is not considered as serious, and so on.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Hmm..

Less slippery slope, more adaptation. If a particular form of anti-social behaviour (a phrase now hijacked by ASBOs) occurs frequently and is not challenged, then it will become accepted. The next step up the ladder then seems less extreme compared to the background, and is not considered as serious, and so on.

Not necessarily.

You only notice when there's a positive correlation like that.

I know plenty of people who went around egging people on Halloween and kicking down snowmen as teenagers and they're now perfectly respectable and law abiding.