That London - don't go there!

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hackney is full of middle-class kids living out an 'alternative' lifestyle until they can afford to move to Surrey or Kent.
    Thought that part was confined to Shoreditch?...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    clarkey cat wrote:
    Hackney is full of middle-class kids living out an 'alternative' lifestyle until they can afford to move to Surrey or Kent.Thought that part was confined to Shoreditch?...

Nope. Shoreditch is full of City sorts.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hackney is full of middle-class kids living out an 'alternative' lifestyle until they can afford to move to Surrey or Kent.
    Thought that part was confined to Shoreditch?...

Hackney, Shoreditch, Peckham (Broadway Market!?)
    http://hackneyhipsterhate.tumblr.com/
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    I went to Peckham Rye the other day.

As I came down the stairs I was tripping over Phil and Ted buggies and weak-looking men wearing Camper shoes.

It was like being in Islington but with more nail bars.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    clarkey cat wrote:
    Hackney is full of middle-class kids living out an 'alternative' lifestyle until they can afford to move to Surrey or Kent.Thought that part was confined to Shoreditch?...

Nope. Shoreditch is full of City sorts.

Really..?
  • I went to Peckham Rye the other day.

As I came down the stairs I was tripping over Phil and Ted buggies and weak-looking men wearing Camper shoes.

It was like being in Islington but with more nail bars.

I used to get the train on the line that goes from Bromley, via Catford, then up through Nunhead, Peckham Rye, & Denmark Hill towards Blackfriars - the people getting on would get progressively more likely to wear desert boots and work in the meeja as the stations ticked by.
  • clarkey cat
    Really..?

I'd say so, yes. Haggerston, London Fields, Hackney, Bethnal Green I think has a far higher proportion of middle class kids that just love a 'house partayyy!' i.e., hipsters. - but Shoreditch is such prime real estate now I doubt whether anyone but City sorts can afford to live there.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Rolf F, you appear to have forgotten what it is the duty of anyone not from London to do.

1) Swagger about like Richard Ashcroft in the Bittersweet syphony vid, this includes ramming cyclists in your way and shouldering them to the side.
    2) No-one who commutes in London is fast, they are too busy looking at themselves in shop windows.
    3) It is your solemn duty to ride faster than everyone, especially if they are fully lycra'd up and going in the same direction. You should add insult to injury by getting off your bike at junctions, examine it carefully and loudly state "it doesn't have the usual speed, must be a brake block rubbing"
    4) Openly laugh passing their fish and chip shops.
    5) If anyone comments you are in their way you must state, "Sir/Madam, I am not from here, therefore you should be more respectful of guests in your city". Any further comments should be replied with "Your lungs are full of pollution and you have no quality of life, therefore the depression you are experiencing is no doubt holding your speed back resulting in your lack of ability to pass me". Any further comments should result in you telling them to politely fnck off.

:mrgreen:

London - meh, only worth visiting for the Paul Smith sale shop. Apparently he has it in London as the people there are all really poor owing to the overinflated house prices. :D
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.