Appropriate attire

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Off to the doctors tomorrow. Apres work.

Question. Do I turn up in lycra?

No real option of changing when I get there.

Or is that a bit full on? Turning lycra'd and sweating.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    what type of doctor?

psychiatry?
  • Most doctor's ought to be impressed by your dedication, but it might depend on what your complaint is and if the doctor is likely to have to examine it.

As an aside I was in the doctor's the other week and met a neighbour who wanted to know what was wrong with me. She was quite insistent so in the end I told her that I'd always wanted a 9" penis. Her eyes widened as she exlaimed "Really?". "Yes", says me, "so I wondered if the doc could take a couple of inches off".....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    Ha ha, no, it's re the aforementioned nosebleeds and other irritating things that I really should get checked out.
  • Most doctor's ought to be impressed by your dedication, but it might depend on what your complaint is and if the doctor is likely to have to examine it.

As an aside I was in the doctor's the other week and met a neighbour who wanted to know what was wrong with me. She was quite insistent so in the end I told her that I'd always wanted a 9" penis. Her eyes widened as she exlaimed "Really?". "Yes", says me, "so I wondered if the doc could take a couple of inches off".....

If I had that ailment, I would simply fold it into thirds.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    I went to see my doctor about my kleptomania...

Take a chair, he said.
  • So, I call my local doctor and say "Are you my local doctor?", to which he replies, "Well sir, it rather depends upon where you're ringing from".
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    There is nothing inappropriate about turning up in lycra.

Providing of course that you don't wear trade team kits, national kit, Grand Tour jerseys or World Champion stripes.

You haven't earned the right to wear those.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • clarkey cat
    I went to see my doctor, whats the matter he said.

Prodding myself on my knee, my toe, my head and my shoulder in turn I complained - it hurts everywhere I prod myself.

A broken finger, he diagnosed.
  • Lycra is a must. As somebody who eschews full lycra, I can tell you that cycling somewhere and then wondering around in normal clothing is a recipe for looking like an unaccountably sweaty mess and attracting looks of horror from passers-by. At least the presence of lycra explains the sweating.

During the summer I stopped off at a kebab shop on the way home to pick up dinner for the wife and me (I know how to treat a lady). A policewoman came in while I was waiting for my order, looked me up and down in a half-concerned, half-suspicious manner, and asked me if everything was alright. I think she thought I was a crystal meth addict or something. I just gestured wearily at my bike leaning against the window and she nodded, clearly relieved (albeit still slightly perturbed at the sheer extravagance of my perspiration).
  • I told my doctor of my insatiable appetite for snooker balls. “Last night for instance I ate 6 reds, 4 blacks, 2 browns and a yellow. This morning for breakfast I had another 3 reds, 2 blues and a pink”

“That’s your problem”, said the doc, “not enough greens”…..
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Bibs under or over jersey?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • I went to the Doctor's last week...

Doctor I said, "I can't stop singing Tom Jones Songs".

He replied, "that's not unusual".
  • clarkey cat
    I phoned NHS Direct recently... 'I've been feeling like a pair of curtains' I complained.

'Pull yourself together!' they barked, unhelpfully.
  • I went to the doctor with a cucumber up my nose, a carrot in my left ear and a banana in my right.

The doctor reckoned I wasn't eating properly.

• During the summer I stopped off at a kebab shop on the way home to pick up dinner for the wife and me (I know how to treat a lady). A policewoman came in while I was waiting for my order, looked me up and down in a half-concerned, half-suspicious manner, and asked me if everything was alright. I think she thought I was a crystal meth addict or something. I just gestured wearily at my bike leaning against the window and she nodded, clearly relieved (albeit still slightly perturbed at the sheer extravagance of my perspiration).

I was hoping that this was going to turn into a joke... :roll: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    *sighs*

• During the summer I stopped off at a kebab shop on the way home to pick up dinner for the wife and me (I know how to treat a lady). A policewoman came in while I was waiting for my order, looked me up and down in a half-concerned, half-suspicious manner, and asked me if everything was alright. I think she thought I was a crystal meth addict or something. I just gestured wearily at my bike leaning against the window and she nodded, clearly relieved (albeit still slightly perturbed at the sheer extravagance of my perspiration).

I was hoping that this was going to turn into a joke... :roll: :wink:

Mind you.....I was hoping that for very other post in this thread.... :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Though my blood pressure is perfectly normal now, it used to be excessively high (the wonders of getting fit again!) and my doctor still insists on me popping in for a check up every 3 months. She does early morning (7:30 onwards) appointments so I usually drop in on the way to work in full lycra... this doesn't seem to phase her one bit... throws the receptionists though, every time!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Whyever not? Do it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I always go to the GP in lycra, buggered if I'm going to walk all the way there and all the way back and then get on the bike to ride to work...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I wouldn't dress in lycra just to see the doc, but if I was wearing lycra anyway, I wouldn't bother changing.

I went to see my doctor the other day because I had a steering wheel stuck down my trousers:
    "Doc, you've got to help me. It driving me nuts!"
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wouldn't dress in lycra just to see the doc, but if I had an appointment with the nurse...

FTFY
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I went to the Doctor and said 'I've hurt my arm in several places'

He said well don't go there anymore.

I do wear my lycra to the dentist. He quite likes bikes too so always asks me where I've been riding, where am I going etc.
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Most doctor's ought to be impressed by your dedication, but it might depend on what your complaint is and if the doctor is likely to have to examine it.

If I had that ailment, I would simply fold it into thirds.

Never very good at maths were you Greg, what you meant to say was times it by 9 :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    You should make a point of stuffing an item of fruit down the front of your bib shorts, just for the ladies.
  • Actually went to the doctor the other day complaining about some days after riding i felt like a teepee and some days felt like a wigwam.

He told me not to worry too much, i was just too tense.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    So, how did it go, Rick?
  • rick_chasey
    I'l let you know.

Within reason.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    A young women visited her eye doctor complaining of failing eyesight.
    The doctor sat her in front of a standard eye chart.

Doctor: “Can you read the bottom line?”
    Girl: “No.”
    “Can you read the centre line?”
    “No.”
    “Can you read the large top line”
    “No.
    “Can you even see the chart?”
    “No.”
    The doctor is clearly frustrated and whips his penis out of his pants. “Can you see this?”
    “Of course!”
    “Well, there’s your problem – you’re cock-eyed!”
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I'l let you know.

Within reason.

we just want to know what the doc thought of your clothes, we don't care about your health...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]