One reason why mudguards should be used on a club ride..

2»

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Lets be fair to Cuddles all those colours on a rainbow jersey will run at 40 degrees and a yellow will just fade after repeated washes with Bio powder.

Good job Cavs got the rainbow now! He never sits on anyones back wheel, at least not In the last 200 metres.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    tim wand wrote:
    Lets be fair to Cuddles all those colours on a rainbow jersey will run at 40 degrees and a yellow will just fade after repeated washes with Bio powder.

Good job Cavs got the rainbow now! He never sits on anyones back wheel, at least not In the last 200 metres.

so he's only wheel sucking for 99.999% of a 200km race then. Good example.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Cav will soon be used to getting sh*t out of stuff at 40 degrees-go Peta.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • I always thought people repeatedly riding without mudguards is like someone pissing on your shoes at the urinal. I don't piss on my own shoes, or their shoes, but through either laziness or pig-headedness, they piss on everyone elses.

If you can spend a few grand on a summer bike you can cobble together a winter hack for a few hundred.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I guess it's one of those debates along the lines of smokers, "I don't mind a bit of passive smoking so neither should you" as in "I don't mind a bit of passive spray so why should you mind a big line of cow s**t sprayed in your face and on your bike that you've spent the time to fit nice long mudgaurds to when I can't be bothered".

If people can't see the social side of fitting mudgaurds they probably never will, but for me cycling in a group IS a social event and therefore I do the social thing and fit mudgaurds, I also don't spit on people etc.. If I am on my own I can do what I want and get my best bike covered in crud and spend the next hour cleaning it (the roads get pretty covered in mud and other stuff here, so water is the least of my worries).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I persisted without mudguards for years - just because I didn't like the look of them really. I had a winter and a best bike - so no reason other than that really.

Then I crumbled and fitted them, and now regret my younger foolish wetter days. Its a much nicer ride without spraying water all over yourself, and unless its torrential - you wont get that wet on wet rides with guards.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It's just good manners
    +1

It can be a pretty miserable experience having one's face, eyes, glasses etc covered in grime kicked up by the wheel in front when out on a training run. For the sake of a few quid and a few minutes for fitting, mudguards in bad weather make everyone's ride a more pleasurable experience.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    jim453 wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

so he's only wheel sucking for 99.999% of a 200km race then. Good example.

I believe the term is WHOOOOOSSHHH!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Woooooooooshhhhhhhh!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Nuggs wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It's just good manners
    +1

It can be a pretty miserable experience having one's face, eyes, glasses etc covered in grime kicked up by the wheel in front when out on a training run. For the sake of a few quid and a few minutes for fitting, mudguards in bad weather make everyone's ride a more pleasurable experience.

And don't forget the long mudflap on the rear too! :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    In all my years of club riding most club runs I have been on no-one used mudguards. I've never had a problem getting kit clean after a ride and I tend to use glasses when riding to protect them from grit, mud or insects. How do people get their kit clean after a cross race in muddy conditions or after mountain biking if a bit of spray is a problem? I actually found it worse last winter when one of the club riders was using mudguards as the water was spraying my face rather than clearing my head. I think they should be compulsory when racing in the wet though, it can feel like you are being water boarded in a bunch of 60 with all that spray :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bloody hell Pross - how small are you ? I find a plume of rainwater off an unmudguarded wheel pretty much hits me in the eyes if I'm riding behind someone, so if theres surface water - I'm riding blind.

If you like that kind of thing - that's fine - but I wont be sitting on your wheel. And you'd have no spray off my wheel complete with long flap.

Isn't it like having a convertible car - if it rains - you'd put the roof on ?
    So for me - if its a rainy wintery day - I'll go out on the mudguarded winter bike. Much more comfortable.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    cougie wrote:
    Isn't it like having a convertible car - if it rains - you'd put the roof on ?

Nah you just drive faster, above about 65 mph the windscreen blocks anything that would have fallen on your head.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    cougie wrote:
    Bloody hell Pross - how small are you ?

6' 2"! I can honestly say I've never had a problem with spray from others on club runs. I am, however, hoping to get some Crud Roadracers for Christmas just to keep own backside drier and keep the worst of the muck off my bike.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Here's my take...

I have a winter bike that get ridden virtually permanently between November and March, full mudguards, it not only protects me but also people behind me.

My club doesn't have a policy on Mudguards, but most respect other riders and fit full guards if they will fit or crud guards.

I'm not too worried about my clothes getting splattered as it all comes out in the wash, but what really gets me is when you are going down a country sh!t encrusted lane and the rider in front without mudguards shoots a load of cow sh!t into your mouth, I do get pished off when that happens, and find it selfish if people do this and regularly ride every weekend with the club.

Simple ruling should be if you want to ride with the club in bad weather on Sundays, then bung some mudguards on, if your bike doesn't take them, then don't ride in a group when it's wet.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If it's wet I won't ride behind people if they don't have mudguards. Then again, I tend not to do too much group work becuase I prefer to do specific training on my own.

I bought some Crud Race 2s from Ribble (£21 I think) and I don't even realise they're on the bike; they're that good.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    What cougie said.
    I often ride alone, but it's nice not to get a wet arris.