Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

One reason why mudguards should be used on a club ride..

anto164anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
My only point about this...

Mudguards should be used because..

..Mud splatters from the road stains my jersey.. Using the correct wash settings for my long sleeve jersey means that dirty mud splatters doesn't come out through the wash at 30deg.. I have a black long sleeve jersey, but with white patches, and it's now a black with mud splattered white sections.

Mini annoyance over.
«1

Posts

  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    I had to go to hospital after a non-mudguard incident meant a load of grit got in my eye and worked its way round so I could not get at it. It was freaking agony!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth trying biological powder if you normally use non-bio. I don't like to use bio but have a box that I use every now again when my fav tops get wiped with chain oil, blood, etc. Washed in bio and 40 deg makes a huge difference and I figure that the Earth will forgive me if the combo makes my lovely tops last longer and look nicer.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 21,108
    I always use one of those wife things, whilst slow to wash things it does seem to work well
  • pipipipipipi Posts: 332
    I'm not sure biological works too well on eyeballs. hope you're okay now!
  • jim453jim453 Posts: 1,360
    It makes you wonder how anyone ever finishes Paris-Roubaix.

    MTFU
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    They get paid...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • APIIIAPIII Posts: 2,010
    Think yourself lucky. I swear I broke a nail fitting a kmc quick link the other week.
  • jim453jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Evans_Stg7.jpg

    Mummy, the bigger boys have got all mud over my new jersey and I think I've got something in my eye.
  • Damn right. And he's wearing a helmet and gloves, the poof.
  • fish156fish156 Posts: 496
    The picture of Cadel is from a race. The OP's comment is regarding club rides. It's far nicer holding a wheel in wet winter training sessions when the group is kitted out with mudguards.
    It's also easier to get served cake & coffee when you're not so mud splattered. :-)

    anto164, you could always consider swapping clubs to one with $hit brown jerseys?
  • anto164anto164 Posts: 3,500
    joe2008 wrote:
    anto164 wrote:
    My only point about this...

    Mudguards should be used because..

    ..Mud splatters from the road stains my jersey..

    FFS you cannot be serious!

    You honestly think this is a 100pc serious topic?
  • You could always ride at the front...

    :D
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    At my club if it's winter and wet - any gits with no guards have to stay at the back.
    And if it's really pouring down the spray off a back wheel plumes perfectly into the eyes of the rider behind.
  • pottsstevepottssteve Posts: 4,069
    You mean you go out in the wet?!








    :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,038
    Are the 'mtfu' responses from non club cyclists then?

    I had to explain meself the other week on a perfectly dry sunny day why I had come out without fitting mine on.... I had been lazy that morning basically, no excuse really when fitting slightly modified sks blade/crud combination which take a minute to do.
    If I had responded mtfu I would have probably got chinned.
  • i dont have mudguards - if its bad enough for them - stay at home and hit the turbo
  • Tom ButcherTom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    My experience is at least half the people with mudguards don't have them long enough to protect the rider behind anyway - you really need them quite low with a flap to prevent spray hitting the rider behind.

    Personally on a ride up to an hour or so it doesn't bother me that much - if it's a long ride and it's wet then I'll just choose a different wheel to follow. Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue in our club or the locals turn up on the chain gang - I do have proper full length ones if only to protect myself as much as riders behind me.

    it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nevmannevman Posts: 1,611
    JGSI wrote:
    Are the 'mtfu' responses from non club cyclists then?

    I had to explain meself the other week on a perfectly dry sunny day why I had come out without fitting mine on.... I had been lazy that morning basically, no excuse really when fitting slightly modified sks blade/crud combination which take a minute to do.
    If I had responded mtfu I would have probably got chinned.

    thats one tough club there mate-forgetting the Carradice must be a capital offence?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

    Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 9,675
    edited December 2011
    My Crud MKIIs went on half way through October and they'll stay on until about April. It's just good manners, if you plan on riding with other folk. However as identified upthread, most guards out there are way too short to protect the rider behind anyway.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • jibberjimjibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I'm with Tom Butcher, I have yet to ride with anyone on a road bike who has mudguards which do anything at all to protect the rider behind, they simply don't go far enough around. Even ones with a flap that go most of the way only prevent the spray going right up into the face of the rider behind if you are right on the wheel - the sort of distance that's appropriate for a race, but not for a club run in the wet on the open road. Most people just have crud's etc (as they're road bikes won't take anything else) and they do nothing for anyone.

    People are always welcome on my ride mudguards or not, I just ride offset from the wheel in front.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,038
    nevman wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Are the 'mtfu' responses from non club cyclists then?

    I had to explain meself the other week on a perfectly dry sunny day why I had come out without fitting mine on.... I had been lazy that morning basically, no excuse really when fitting slightly modified sks blade/crud combination which take a minute to do.
    If I had responded mtfu I would have probably got chinned.

    thats one tough club there mate-forgetting the Carradice must be a capital offence?

    You'll have to forgive the slight dramatic licence I used :wink: It doesnt always get down to fisticuffs at the roadside.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    You wanna see my guards Jibberjim - flapped to the nth degree. (ducktape is brilliant for this)

    There's no spray off those in the wet.

    I'm sure I've seen clubs with rules about their mudflaps and approved designs ? But most of our guys extend their guards with bits of plastic bottles.
  • Coach HCoach H Posts: 1,092
    cougie wrote:
    You wanna see my guards Jibberjim - flapped to the nth degree. (ducktape is brilliant for this)

    There's no spray off those in the wet.

    I'm sure I've seen clubs with rules about their mudflaps and approved designs ? But most of our guys extend their guards with bits of plastic bottles.

    Damp Proof Course is great as a mudflap (tip from Monty Dog a couple of winters back).
    Easily fitted, easily replaced, easily reduces spray to a minimum.

    If you are antisocial enough to not bother fitting guards you are antisocial enough to ride on your own.
    I dont buy this "they dont fit" excuse as I have full SKS Blumels fitted split at the brake bridge and secured using a 75p Al strip. Took about 1/2 an hour longer to fit guards than normal.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Could be worse...

    20081224112244_tortazo-bicicleta-barro.jpg
  • jibberjimjibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I will not fit guards to my race bike, just a waste of my time, if you don't want to ride with me, don't ride with me, and I wouldn't ride with a club that has such a rule (I now expect my club to have a vote at the next AGM requiring mudguards) but I respect the right of everyone else to choose differently, but please don't lecture people, it's only anti-social if the social rules of the group require it, if your group doesn't, then it's fine.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • SBezzaSBezza Posts: 2,173
    jibberjim wrote:
    I will not fit guards to my race bike, just a waste of my time, if you don't want to ride with me, don't ride with me, and I wouldn't ride with a club that has such a rule (I now expect my club to have a vote at the next AGM requiring mudguards) but I respect the right of everyone else to choose differently, but please don't lecture people, it's only anti-social if the social rules of the group require it, if your group doesn't, then it's fine.
    +1 to this.

    Surely in the winter with wet roads, you would perhaps choose clothing that didn't have much white in, or perhaps older stuff you don't mind getting stained. I have the crud mudguards and I am yet to fit them to either of my bikes, just can't be bothered to be honest. I have a washing machine that cleans my clothes pretty well :wink:
  • Coach HCoach H Posts: 1,092
    jibberjim wrote:
    I will not fit guards to my race bike, just a waste of my time, if you don't want to ride with me, don't ride with me, and I wouldn't ride with a club that has such a rule (I now expect my club to have a vote at the next AGM requiring mudguards) but I respect the right of everyone else to choose differently, but please don't lecture people, it's only anti-social if the social rules of the group require it, if your group doesn't, then it's fine.

    [pedant mode on] Jim, correct me if I am wrong but you are not racing on it now or the near future are you? If not it is currently a training bike and a wet weather training bike at that, therefore it would not be a waste of your time [pedant mode off]

    No-one is lecturing anyone. What is happening is an online discussion between people with differing ideas is taking place. It could be argued (but is not currently) that you are lecturing people to not expect mudguards on wet club runs.

    I believe it takes relatively minimal effort to fit full guards for winter when you consider the social and maintenance payback
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jibberjimjibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Coach H wrote:
    [pedant mode on] Jim, correct me if I am wrong but you are not racing on it now or the near future are you? If not it is currently a training bike and a wet weather training bike at that, therefore it would not be a waste of your time [pedant mode off]

    My "wet weather training bike" and the bike I race on are the same thing, and I will be racing for certain on it before the winter ends, although not until feb, but I may well race on it before. But it's still a waste of my time - as I don't need mudguards to protect me from the wet and mud because I dress appropriately, and so do my ride companions, so there is no social penalty for me.

    And no you weren't lecturing, we're just on a forum, it's a discussion as you say, unfortunately some people do, even ones who wouldn't ride with me ever, so it's pretty irrelevant to them. Lots of people disagree about the socially acceptable way to ride - some people think it's unacceptable to never do a turn or to wear replica kit - there's never a place for lecturing, you just choose to ride with others. You can have very strong words where safety is concerned, but for other things, just suck it up and pick another group to ride with next time.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • I like to use a "winter bike" with mudguards on as they help keep the bike clean. I do most of my riding alone so keeping others clean is not too much of a consideration.
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • t.m.h.n.e.tt.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    helmet vs no helmet

    mudguards vs no mudguards

    *gets popcorn*
Sign In or Register to comment.