Jeremy Clarkson shocker

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    There would be more than a touch of irony if one day he suffers a life threatening accident and has his life saved by a public service paramedic riding a bike.

The reference to suicide victims was a bit sick in light of the Gary Speed tragedy. Hopefully his relatives weren't watching.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I saw a phrase - on here I believe, that went something like

"Offended? So what? Nothing happens, move on".

What's the problem. Man says something. Some of us see it and think it's vaguely funny, or maybe not funny at all, then go and clear the kitchen after dinner and forget about it.

Some other people then decide that we all need to know how offensive they find someone saying something that's not really that funny, but wasn't unfunny either, and that something must be done to prevent such offensive things being said in future.

Blimey. Offended? Tough. Nothing happens.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Carl_P wrote:
    There would be more than a touch of irony if one day he suffers a life threatening accident and has his life saved by a public service paramedic riding a bike.

I think it would be kinder to just put him out of his misery? Nobody's watching.

There should be flip-book of people who shouldn't be saved:

1. Clarkson, obviously
    2. James Martin
    3. Simon Cowell (just to restore some normality to TV)
    4. Noel Edmunds and Mr Blobby (I'm assuming they'd be in the same car when Blobby hilariously causes a blobby-based car crash)
    5. Jeremy Kyle (?) - not sure about this one, he could be a genius or a tw@t.
    6. Cameron, Brown, Mandleson etc
    7. Phone-hacking journalists
    8. Theo Pathetis. There's just something about him. A bit shifty? Apparently he owns Rymans. Doesn't like to talk about it though.

Can't think of any more at the moment.
  • CiB
    You missed off Milliband (D and E), Prescott, Surralexfergerssunnn, and the woman who drives at 35-40 mph on my way into work when I'm in the car despite it being a straight rural A road with an NSL and no real bends to speak of for 7 miles.
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Carl_P wrote:

I think it would be kinder to just put him out of his misery? Nobody's watching.

There should be flip-book of people who shouldn't be saved:

1. Clarkson, obviously
    2. James Martin
    3. Simon Cowell (just to restore some normality to TV)
    4. Noel Edmunds and Mr Blobby (I'm assuming they'd be in the same car when Blobby hilariously causes a blobby-based car crash)
    5. Jeremy Kyle (?) - not sure about this one, he could be a genius or a tw@t.
    6. Cameron, Brown, Mandleson etc
    7. Phone-hacking journalists
    8. Theo Pathetis. There's just something about him. A bit shifty? Apparently he owns Rymans. Doesn't like to talk about it though.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Piers Morgan? Or can we lump him in with those phone-hacking hacks?

Oh, and speaking of print media, how about the Daily Fail's chief bigot Richard Littlejohn?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • CiB wrote:
    Surralexfergerssunnn.

A few more cup fixtures versus Palace should see him off via sheer embarrassment. ;)

David
  • GiantMike
    This could be a big book. Might need an app instead.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a loolk at this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15977813

Karen Jennings, Deputy General Secretary of Unison, starts wittering on at 2:08 in the vid. I don't think she helps her case here !! Who is going to sack him ? Bedder 6 ? The company which he partly owns ? The BBC ? oh, he doesn't work for the BBC.

Engage brain before opening mouth.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CiB wrote:
    I saw a phrase - on here I believe, that went something like

"Offended? So what? Nothing happens, move on".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg

People who give a sh1t about what he said need to grow up!
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Carl_P wrote:

If anyone thinks actively pursuing the idea of bumping him off is a bit extreme, you can always employ the old "it's just a joke, like on Top Gear" defence;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

:)

David
  • His obituary has already been written.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Of course, to be fair he was entirely right about Mexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15630892
    Imbecile wrote:
    Talking about the strikes over pension changes, Mr Clarkson also said: "I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

Oh dear oh dear :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Of course, to be fair he was entirely right about Mexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15630892
    Imbecile wrote:
    Talking about the strikes over pension changes, Mr Clarkson also said: "I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

Oh dear oh dear :lol:

Clarkson? Work? Don't see how the dross he churns out can be described as real work! Do me a favour! :roll:

David
  • oh get a life! and accept Clackson's comments in the manner they were intended!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610
    Are the offenders grevously insulted when Jordan gets her wasps out and talks about sex too? No, seriously cos it is exactly the same thing!

Jesus, it was the best 5 mins of the one show I ve ever seen! Get a life and a TV remote!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • GiantMike
    ddraver wrote:
    .... when Jordan gets her wasps out and talks about sex too?

Filthy b!tch
  • Nope : sorry : Clarkson is a complete kn*bhead : his remarks were insensitive, inaccurate, intentionally misleading and downright offensive.

1. People in Syria are indeed being executed for doing precisely what he condemns in the UK
    2. Striking is not illegal or irresponsible per se : the right to strike was won less than 100 years ago in an age when children were still being sent down mines and up chimneys : when the child mortality rate in Jarrow when the townspeople marched on London was 25% dying before the age of 5 yrs old.

Our freedoms are very new, very precious and very vulnerable and men and women in the very recent past died for them.

I do not need completely uniformed vacuous comments from Mr J Clarkson who is well known for his political views which are somewhere to the right of Joseph Goebbels shoved down my throat thank you very much. I don't wish him any harm but if he had been a Muslim preacher for instance the Daily Mail would have been calling for him to be tried for inciting violence and deported.

You can't have it both ways!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,941
    Clarkson... a one trick pony with an act well past its sell by date.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • CiB
    Running Man you might be top of the tree in the Stats (chapeau to that actually) but you can't compare Muslim Hate-Preachers to a middle-aged buffoon carrying a reputation invited onto a comfy TV chat show and responding to what sounded very much like an open invite - "So Jeremy - what do you think of the strikers?".

It would have been cause for complaint if JC hadn't lived up to his billing and responded instead along the lines of "I'm quite sure they have a valid point and I wish them well in their efforts to force a govt U-turn".

As for the comment about suicides stopping trains; I've had the misfortune to twice be stuck on a train for some hours due to a jumper. The mood both times after spending a whole Sunday afternoon in a stationary train somewhere near Rugby whilst the apparent necessity to 'carry out a full investigation' is completed chimed quite closely with what Clarkson said about them. Suicides affect those that they leave behind deeply and for a long time, but for the rest of the country that sort of death is a mention in the local paper that makes us pause long enough only to wonder if the victim was known to us personally, before moving onto the bonkers letters section. JC - not as mad as he's being portrayed.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just to help you all out, I think I've detected something that has maybe bypassed a few posters here...

... I think there's the teeniest possibility that he didn't really mean it
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610
    Wahey!! 3 pages guys!

(what's the name of the law about internet forums always ending up with Nazism)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bompington wrote:
    Just to help you all out, I think I've detected something that has maybe bypassed a few posters here...

How dare you bring sensible reasoned comment into the thread. The muppets at Unison are supposed to be taking legal advice over it too apparently.
  • bompington wrote:

Was it perchance "just a joke, like on Top Gear" (copyright S.Lee, 2009)? ;)

David
  • Actually, scrap all of the above comments. I think we're missing the real issue here, which is: it's all Wiggle's fault.

;)

David
  • CiB
    ddraver wrote:
    Wahey!! 3 pages guys!

(what's the name of the law about internet forums always ending up with Nazism)

Allow me...
    Arrogant nazi prick. Bear in mind that he is simply being honest in publicly stating the views of a substantial number of other well-off, arrogant nazi pricks.

If it was a joke then he would have couched it in a jovial manner.
    Godwins Law, IIRC.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    If you work for the BBC aren't you public sector anyway?
  • Point taken Cib but again you can't have it both ways : "we" know Clarkson is a buffoon but there are plenty who'll find him believable and credible and that's what worries me. In the same way while we know someone preaching religious intolerance is a buffoon there are many who are all too ready to embrace them.

And it's not long ago Clarkson topped a poll of people to be made prime Minister if my memory serves me right ....

At that point I shall be leaving the country and heading for a life of freedom in Iran .....

Sorry if I'm sounding serious and sincere but history teaches us that freedoms get eroded by stealth and not by daylight robbery. It's too easy and simplistic to write Clarkson off as a loose-mouthed fool ... the drivel he spouts has enough of a thread of attractiveness to give it currency.

As for suicides and trains I'd want to be sure that the person allegedly committing suicide wasn't pushed or thrown especially if it was a friend or relative : wouldn't you?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • And thanks for the nod to the Stats :o
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • CiB wrote:
    Running Man you might be top of the tree in the Stats (chapeau to that actually) but you can't compare Muslim Hate-Preachers to a middle-aged buffoon carrying a reputation invited onto a comfy TV chat show and responding to what sounded very much like an open invite - "So Jeremy - what do you think of the strikers?".

It would have been cause for complaint if JC hadn't lived up to his billing and responded instead along the lines of "I'm quite sure they have a valid point and I wish them well in their efforts to force a govt U-turn".

As for the comment about suicides stopping trains; I've had the misfortune to twice be stuck on a train for some hours due to a jumper. The mood both times after spending a whole Sunday afternoon in a stationary train somewhere near Rugby whilst the apparent necessity to 'carry out a full investigation' is completed chimed quite closely with what Clarkson said about them. Suicides affect those that they leave behind deeply and for a long time, but for the rest of the country that sort of death is a mention in the local paper that makes us pause long enough only to wonder if the victim was known to us personally, before moving onto the bonkers letters section. JC - not as mad as he's being portrayed.

I do think you're missing Running Man's point somewhat.

You're portraying Jeremy Clarkson as a sort of loveable buffoon who cannot be compared to a religious fanatic. Now I know we both know that Clarkson is an idiot, just like we know the religious fanatic is an idiot.

But the point is, there are people who are ignorant and misguided enough to believe them. I know you'll argue that no-one is silly enough to believe Jeremy Clarkson, but people are clearly stupid enough to believe various religious crazy folk so it stands to reason that someone might equally be influenced by Clarkson, in my view. The other point is context - people watch comedy expecting jokes like that, fine, I don't think people watch the One Show really expecting that.

I appreciate however that it seems to be getting out of hand - he should just apologize then forget about it.

Your other point is quite childish too 'I've had the misfortune to twice be stuck on a train for some hours due to a jumper.' ! No-one likes train delays but I think it's a price we can all afford to pay so the police can establish the circumstances to pass onto family members etc.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,225
    Sorry if I'm sounding serious and sincere but history teaches us that freedoms get eroded by stealth and not by daylight robbery. It's too easy and simplistic to write Clarkson off as a loose-mouthed fool ... the drivel he spouts has enough of a thread of attractiveness to give it currency.

Is one of those freedoms 'Freedom of Speech'?

Isn't restricting Clarkson or anyone from saying things an example of one of those erosions of which you speak.

Freedoms extend to all lifestyles and moralities, not just yours.
    Twitter: @RichN95