Och - I think I'm turning Scottish

2»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Never heard of "outwith" what context would it be used in?

Really? I use it a lot - not within the parameters being discussed = outwith

As for turning Scottish, am warming to matters tartan since my beloved Bristol City appointed the mighty Derek McInnes as manager.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Something "needs done" is another Scottish expression - instead of "needs doing" in English-speak.

"The bottom bracket needs done" for instance.
    See, now I'd understand that, but if someone said "I'll meet you at the back of three" I wouldn't have a clue!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Never heard of "outwith" what context would it be used in?

Really? I use it a lot - not within the parameters being discussed = outwith

As for turning Scottish, am warming to matters tartan since my beloved Bristol City appointed the mighty Derek McInnes as manager.
    Outwith the likesay, Ferguson, Shankly, Stein and Busby most Scottish managers are mince, ken.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Probably my favourite bit of outwardly unintelligible Scots (or more accurately Doric) is the Aberdonian in a shoe shop who is trying on shoes and wishes to ascertain which shoe is which. So he asks " Fit fit fits fit fit." Seriously that makes sense to an Aberdonian.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Wtf are you people gibbering about? Or should that be aboot? I went out with a Glawegian girl (lass) when I was about 18 and I don't remember any of this. Mind you I may have had other things on my one track mind. Where's the "drifts off in a haze of fond memories (mammaries)" smily?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Wtf are you people gibbering about? Or should that be aboot? I went out with a Glawegian girl (lass) when I was about 18 and I don't remember any of this. Mind you I may have had other things on my one track mind. Where's the "drifts off in a haze of fond memories (mammaries)" smily?
    These days we refer to Glaswegians as Weegies and Glasgow itself is known as "The Weege" as in "Ahm gaun to The Weege this weekend"