Och - I think I'm turning Scottish

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Well I finally did it this evening and had a deep-fried Mars Bar. Well, that's not technically true as I only manged half of it...

Holey Moley - a greasy calorie-fest or what!? My stomach is complaining and I think I'm going to be repeating the experience for the next few hours.

Extra effort needed for my ride in tomorrow
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Pfft you're not properly Scottish unless deep fried mars bars are your main dessert choice to follow your daily chippy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Do you like your fizzy pop made from girders?Please pronounce "girders" in a Scots accent.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Do you like your fizzy pop made from girders?Please pronounce "girders" in a Scots accent.

Nope - not yet - though I do have porridge for breakfast everyday (though not with salt). I haven't started saying "outwith" yet. It's a long process to turn an Englishman from Kent (originally) into a Scot
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Thought you were only scottish if you woke up to a pint of buck fast and a 'brew'
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Nope - not yet - though I do have porridge for breakfast everyday (though not with salt). I haven't started saying "outwith" yet. It's a long process to turn an Englishman from Kent (originally) into a Scot

Only found out the other day that "outwith" is a Scots expression. Anyway, always thought that the folks from that part of the country spoke the best English in Britain.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I believe that a 'Glasgow salad with a Highland dressing' is the technical term for eating a bag of.chips in the rain up there?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    Never heard of "outwith" what context would it be used in?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Never heard of "outwith" what context would it be used in?

Easiest to say that it's used where others might say "outside of"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I think in many respects I've turned Scottish a long time ago, I've now lived in Scotland for far longer than I did in England and, for example, would always support Scottish teams playing against England. But although I know what outwith means*, and would use it without thinking, a lot of Scottish expressions sound really quite weird coming from someone whose public school accent stubbornly refuses to shift.

*just noticed the Chrome spelling checker doesn't
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    What'll see ya'll not go by ya. (no one knows what this actually means, including people from Fife).

I also stay in Scotland. At the moment I'm up the stair in ma beed.

Although I still refuse to eat sangwiches.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    What'll see ya'll not go by ya. (no one knows what this actually means, including people from Fife).

I think you'll find that it is "Whits fir ye'll no go by ye".

And we do know what it means. What is destined to be yours will not bypass you. Simple really.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Hud yer weisht.

What's brown and looks round the corner?

- A keek!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Bing sings and Walt disnae
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Outwith is just a Scottish expression :shock:
  • veronese68
    suzyb wrote:

I believe so, I've never heard it before.
  • suzyb wrote:

Deaf-fine-knightly :wink:
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    A few years ago we did the coast and castles bike ride southbound starting at Edinburgh. Having arrived at Waverley station I decided I needed to 'pay a call' before setting off. My route to the gents was blocked by a gate that wouldn't open when I pushed it. A station worker on the other side of the barrier shouted 'out the way' so I stepped back. He shouted again 'No, out the way' so I stepped even further back out of the way. At this point he walked across to the gate and opened it towards me and said 'See, it opens out the way'. :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Surely you're not properly Scottish until you get a chip on your shoulder about the English whilst at the same time moving to England to get a good job? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • daviesee
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Surely you're not properly Scottish until you get a chip on your shoulder about the English whilst at the same time moving to England to get a good job? :wink:

Nah. We just send down the rejects to wind you up! :wink:
  • daviesee wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I think Gordon Brown was a step too far.... :wink:
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Well I finally did it this evening and had a deep-fried Mars Bar. Well, that's not technically true as I only manged half of it...

Holey Moley - a greasy calorie-fest or what!? My stomach is complaining and I think I'm going to be repeating the experience for the next few hours.

Never found anywhere that sells the things - not sure I'd try one even if I did find them for sale.

I'll stick to a Big Mac with extra fries washewd down with a large coke three times a day.

-Spider-
  • -spider- wrote:

Never found anywhere that sells the things - not sure I'd try one even if I did find them for sale.

I'll stick to a Big Mac with extra fries washewd down with a large coke three times a day.

The chippy at the end of Dingwall High St :wink:

I wished I hadn't bothered - but there's some things you just have to try. When I worked in China (Guangzhou) for 6 months, I vowed I'd eat everything they put in front of me - which included most bits of most creatures in god's creation and, I'm sure, a few bits even he isn't yet aware of. Giant chickens' feet and congealed pig's blood for breakfast was perhaps the hardest (my constitution isn't quite as robust at that time of day), but sand worms, dried jellyfish, several types of birdsnest soup (including blood bird), fish eyes etc etc Really means I had to try the deep-fried Mars Bar once I saw it was for sale - infamous as it is.
  • First.Aspect
    daviesee wrote:

I think you'll find that it is "Whits fir ye'll no go by ye".

And we do know what it means. What is destined to be yours will not bypass you. Simple really.
    Why not just say that?
    Methinks the lady is not amused.
  • The other phrase that I never realised was a Scottish thing is do with time. If I tell a Scottish friend that I'll meet them at the back of 3, they know that I mean just after 3pm. If I say it to an English pal, they look accusingly at me for being late when I roll up at 5 past.
  • First.Aspect
    daviesee wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Last seen looking positively radiant on a beach. Oh, wait, it was the beach that was radiant.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    daviesee wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Some witty git once told me that the Scots are like having piles: if they come down then go back up again they're fine, but if they come and they stay down they're a pain in ar$e :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    -spider- wrote:

The chippy at the end of Dingwall High St :wink:

I wished I hadn't bothered - but there's some things you just have to try. When I worked in China (Guangzhou) for 6 months, I vowed I'd eat everything they put in front of me - which included most bits of most creatures in god's creation and, I'm sure, a few bits even he isn't yet aware of. Giant chickens' feet and congealed pig's blood for breakfast was perhaps the hardest (my constitution isn't quite as robust at that time of day), but sand worms, dried jellyfish, several types of birdsnest soup (including blood bird), fish eyes etc etc Really means I had to try the deep-fried Mars Bar once I saw it was for sale - infamous as it is.

Sounds delightful! I think I'll try the Mars Bar afterall.

-Spider-
  • Something "needs done" is another Scottish expression - instead of "needs doing" in English-speak.

"The bottom bracket needs done" for instance.
  • daviesee
    Methinks the lady is not amused.

Methinks the lady was quite happy to bide in Scotland, in preference to England.
    The "medication" may have had something to do with that though :wink:
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I believe that a 'Glasgow salad with a Highland dressing' is the technical term for eating a bag of.chips in the rain up there?

scottish salad = chips and baked beans
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png