Training advice for 2,500km charity ride please

Smallers
Smallers Posts: 7
Hello all,
In April 2012 I'll be cycling from Central Portugal, where I live, to Bridlington, East Yorkshire, where I was born, for charity. I'll be using a hybrid bike with panniers and camping en route. I'm using a road bike and my hybrid for training and my local roads are all hills, which is a bonus.

My goal is to cover 100km per day minimum with no rest days, thus covering the journey in 25 days or less. My current plan is to be out 4 days per week increasing my distances by 5km each new week doing 2 longer rides and 2 shorter rides. I have less than one years cycling experience, so after 3 weeks of training for this event my 2 longer rides are at 60km and my shorter rides are at 40km.

Am I heading in the right direction and at my training peak, at about 2 weeks before the event in April, what should my training distances be and how often?

Looking forward to what more experienced cyclists have to say. :D

Andy

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Lots of miles and building up gradually.

Have you thought about some tribars for the bike. Gives you another position to ride in and cuts your aerodynamic profile down, and can be quite comfy.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    It would also be worth doing some blocks of back to back longer rides to get used to what you'll face on the ride.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • I did Gibraltar to Skagen (Denmark) April-june 2000, most of my training was spinning - evrey day - sometimes twice and a few practice runs fully loaded to test bike & kit (tent, stove etc) . Cycle all you can, so you can almost cycle in your sleep. Test your gear and work out what you can & can't eat in good time. Make sure you have a stupid low gear. I develpoed a blister on my sitbone after 3 weeks - more painful than childbirth but I cycled on. REad about it all on my very out dated home page http://hem.ektv.nu/~ekt034371/
  • Great advice, thanks folks, it all helps. I'm already getting out more than anticipated and have bought a turbo trainer for days when work takes over. I'm going to buy some butterfly bars for more hand positions and comfort, Cougie. Liz, what a great journey, Gib to Skagen. I used to live in Viborg and go back every year. One of my next goals is to cycle there.

Thanks again,
    Andy