Spin Class.................

2»

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    JGSI wrote:
    Back to Spin classes....training methodologies and nutrition for road and track going a little off topic?

Attendees in Spin classes are by and large:
    non cyclists
    wish to be 'entertained'
    wanting to lose weight but have spent the last 5 years failing
    :wink:

You are completely correct but failed to notice that it was a responce to our down-under mates comments. However some of the stuff in there may help them loose weight as well, plus this is a cycling forum mate and is not really aimed at non cyclists :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Back to Spin classes....training methodologies and nutrition for road and track going a little off topic?

Attendees in Spin classes are by and large:
    non cyclists
    wish to be 'entertained'
    wanting to lose weight but have spent the last 5 years failing
    :wink:

You are completely correct but failed to notice that it was a responce to our down-under mates comments. However some of the stuff in there may help them loose weight as well, plus this is a cycling forum mate and is not really aimed at non cyclists :)

ah yes, but as someone who regularly attends spin classes, I also have the attention span of a newt :wink:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    Xommul wrote:
    if people need speed then try sets of very fast spinning, if its leg strength then hows about low cadence and hard gears with hill sprints and single leg drills.
    Spinning fast with limited resistance won't make you fast on a bike. Likewise low cadence and hard gears has nothing to do with strength (not that it matters anyway).

I recommend pedaling with as many legs as you have available.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ck_cycling

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ad_cycling

Hoy, Hoy :!:
    Not entirely sure what your point is.
  • Ron Stuart
    Alex, my point.......

Extract from Aussie fact sheet: “In sprint events, athletes generally use large gears which take enormous amounts of power to get going! With fixed gears, cyclists are forced to continue to pedal, even when slowing down. Speeds of 40-60 km/hr are common in endurance track cycling events.”
    This requires power training the simulation of low revs and high loading as well as cadence training very high revs at lower loading.
    Nearly all top sprinters (fast on bike) use resistance training, combined with high cadence routines. The trackies also do a lot of weight training to improve their explosive qualities.
    Endurance riders in general have in recent years progressed away from large gears and low cadence to higher cadence and a very well known Lance Armstrong was an excellent exponent of this technique.
    But like in a lot of sports these techniques need to be practiced to be made perfect.
    The Aussie fact sheets elude to this, another extract here: “Sprint track cyclists generally focus on short high quality repetitions with long recovery, as well as strength training to build lean body mass.”
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've only ever done one spin class but I really enjoyed it - they didn't do any press ups etc on the bike - just intervals - some out of the saddle stuff - seemed to go down well with everyone.

What I did find slightly embarassing was that I was the only one with a pool of sweat on the floor afterwards but hey, I put that down to being fit enough to put more effort in than the others there !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A pool of sweat is a badge of honour - in my classes its always the fittest people that sweat the most.

(I can break into a sweat just looking at the spin bike !)
  • Ron Stuart
    cougie wrote:
    A pool of sweat is a badge of honour - in my classes its always the fittest people that sweat the most.

(I can break into a sweat just looking at the spin bike !)

Lance Armstrong is a sweater but someone told me it was his fear of needles that did it :shock:

Joking aside it's usually a healthy sign, I sweat like mad in the spin classes but not because of the needles, no I just always have. My wife doesn't glow (lady sweat) but gets redder and redder until she flakes out. :oops:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    Alex, my point.......

Extract from Aussie fact sheet: “In sprint events, athletes generally use large gears which take enormous amounts of power to get going! With fixed gears, cyclists are forced to continue to pedal, even when slowing down. Speeds of 40-60 km/hr are common in endurance track cycling events.”
    This requires power training the simulation of low revs and high loading as well as cadence training very high revs at lower loading.
    Nearly all top sprinters (fast on bike) use resistance training, combined with high cadence routines. The trackies also do a lot of weight training to improve their explosive qualities.
    Endurance riders in general have in recent years progressed away from large gears and low cadence to higher cadence and a very well known Lance Armstrong was an excellent exponent of this technique.
    But like in a lot of sports these techniques need to be practiced to be made perfect.
    The Aussie fact sheets elude to this, another extract here: “Sprint track cyclists generally focus on short high quality repetitions with long recovery, as well as strength training to build lean body mass.”
    I'm well aware of the demands of track cyclists.

The key word in the opening statement is "power", not strength (they are not the same thing). In endurance cycling (which is anything as short as say an individual pursuit), the two (strength and power) are unrelated. In sprint cycling, differences in strength account for less than 1/4 of the variances in power output.

Sprinters do some strength work in the gym, yes. To a point, since you only need so much and more can be counterproductive. They also do acceleration work from low speed, as well as at high speed. But these are loaded efforts, not high cadence minimally loaded efforts, or relatively low loaded low cadence work that one might do on a spin bike.

In other words, they are working at high power outputs. You ain't going to do that twaddling about in a big gear or spinning your butt off with limited resistance on a spin bike.
  • Ron Stuart
    Alex, I'm going to give it one more try and if that don't work then Ciao for now.

Nobody here especially the source information is suggesting power and strength are the same thing they don't exist together on my post and come from two separate entries from the Australian Institute of Sports document relating to Track Cycling.
    You write and underline loaded efforts, well you are just repeating my own previous explanation of the self same thing and that was simulation of low revs and high loading same thing, different words.
    The whole point about Lance Armstrong’s high revs low resistance was to point out that for endurance riders it has been a successful technique for many particularly on more mountainous stages (long climbs) to knock off the resistance and rather more spin your way up.
    The body needs to adjust to new cadence methods and it has been found that what may suit one rider doesn't necessarily suit another but under pinning all of this is the need replicate conditions that aim to meet these goals.
    Lastly in all the spin classes I have attended over the last eight years the instructor has always emphasized the need on high cadence routines not to spin-out they suggest for sprints to add more resistance as the revs go up to avoid what you glibly refer to as "spinning your butt off"

Lastly Alex, maybe as it's getting near Christmas you might like to ask Santa if you could have one of these DVD's from the fastest man in the world.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjiNmYqdrE what a Muppet eh! Spinning his butt off
    :lol:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    Alex, I'm going to give it one more try and if that don't work then Ciao for now.

Nobody here especially the source information is suggesting power and strength are the same thing they don't exist together on my post and come from two separate entries from the Australian Institute of Sports document relating to Track Cycling.
    You write and underline loaded efforts, well you are just repeating my own previous explanation of the self same thing and that was simulation of low revs and high loading same thing, different words.
    The whole point about Lance Armstrong’s high revs low resistance was to point out that for endurance riders it has been a successful technique for many particularly on more mountainous stages (long climbs) to knock off the resistance and rather more spin your way up.
    The body needs to adjust to new cadence methods and it has been found that what may suit one rider doesn't necessarily suit another but under pinning all of this is the need replicate conditions that aim to meet these goals.
    Lastly in all the spin classes I have attended over the last eight years the instructor has always emphasized the need on high cadence routines not to spin-out they suggest for sprints to add more resistance as the revs go up to avoid what you glibly refer to as "spinning your butt off"

Lastly Alex, maybe as it's getting near Christmas you might like to ask Santa if you could have one of these DVD's from the fastest man in the world.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjiNmYqdrE what a Muppet eh! Spinning his butt off
    Thanks for the schooling in physiology and training techniques.

I note Cav's training is not on a spin bike but a trainer with a specific high resistance load. The efforts are for development of his anaerobic capacity. He is also not pedaling all that fast, just at a high power output, like he should when doing this sort of work.

Armstrong's cadence was not particularly high (more commentary fueled myth). It was just at a higher power than others.

There are almost no commercially available trainers with sufficient inertial load to simulate a low cadence high force effort you get from doing them on a bike (standing starts, seated and standing sprints from a low speed). You need a 30kg flywheel, big air blades and double reduction gearing to get remotely close.

Cadence is a red herring. It's effort level (power) that matters.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Thanks for the schooling in physiology and training techniques.

I note Cav's training is not on a spin bike but a trainer with a specific high resistance load. The efforts are for development of his anaerobic capacity. He is also not pedaling all that fast, just at a high power output, like he should when doing this sort of work.

Armstrong's cadence was not particularly high (more commentary fueled myth). It was just at a higher power than others.

There are almost no commercially available trainers with sufficient inertial load to simulate a low cadence high force effort you get from doing them on a bike (standing starts, seated and standing sprints from a low speed). You need a 30kg flywheel, big air blades and double reduction gearing to get remotely close.

Cadence is a red herring. It's effort level (power) that matters.
    ]

Ciao :(
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    If you go to different classes every instructor has their own routine so you get a diiferent class at different venues...A class in Bury (which is my fav Venue) even does a body pump with weights/spinning combo class..Another in Salford Quays at one time had a big screen rolling road projection...You can simply spread for choice of class around if you like variety of technique
    jc