Do I need a Full Susser?

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    chez_m356 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I wonder if preference is linked to the size of ones obvious?
    or lack of size,which makes them turn into a giant phallus,with opinions to match :lol: not directed at you cooldad just wanted to use the quote
    That's like my obvious, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    styxd wrote:
    yes you can ride most on a long travel HT

Why? The worst kind of bike for any sort of riding.
    I'd be interested to hear your reasons for that?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd be interested to hear your reasons for that?

Hardtails are good cos they are light/agile/nimble/quick or whatever you want to describe them as. Put a 6 inch travel fork on the front and it ruins all these things. The head angle now changes drastically when the forks dives through the travel, its also now harder to pick the front wheel up for jumps/manuals/hopping things cos you have 6inches of travel to wade through.

Obviously lots of people must love them since there are plenty about.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    So on that basis, surely a good geometry rigid would be the ultimate trail center weapon yes ?
  • bails87
    Hmm, styxd, you're obviously just not a good enough rider :wink:
    MTB/CX

• styxd
    So on that basis, surely a good geometry rigid would be the ultimate trail center weapon yes ?

Well yes, if the trails were perfectly smooth.
  • bails87
    But if they're not perfectly smooth then suspension is good?
    MTB/CX

• DodgeT
    Be interesting to know if you've ever had a FS stxyd..
    I started mtbing about 20 yrs ago, went everywhere on a raleigh mustang rigid, scotland, peaks everywhere.
    Had a break, then got back into it about 10yrs ago, had a trek y3 FS. Had to stop riding cause of knee issues and sold the trek.
    Started again about a year ago, with a hardtail. Swore i'd never go FS again, big, heavy slow things in my mind, who needs it. Had 2 more hard tails since, no-one could convince me of FS.
    Then, one cold, icy day at Llandegla my mate offered me a go of his stumpy (ooh err) he''d got on demo. It was awesome. Fast, light, agile, comfy, everything was spot on.
    Sold the hardtail and bought a FS. Never looked back and never will go back.

But again, all depends on your type of riding.
  • DodgeT
    What is good is whatever you like. I like riding off road. Off road to me is trail centers through to the peaks, snowdon etc.
    For me, full suss is the answer.
    End of. For me anyway.

Stxyd obviously likes the more basic approach and thats fine, its his choice.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bit like DodgeT on this,

I had a Long travel HT for 2 years hit everthing didn't shy away from jumps, drops etc but as my confidence grew and my ability I found the HT had limits, I bought a 2nd hand Trance frame of ebay built it and loved it but soon out grew that.

Now on a Reign and I love it, I would say you can do everthing on both but the FS gives you more room for error.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • styxd
    But if they're not perfectly smooth then suspension is good?

Yes, hence why we have it on moutain bikes. Obviously how much depends on how unsmooth the trails are. 160mm of travel seems like a bit to much for a trail centre when you consider Cedric Gracia was racing downhill world cups on a 170mm bike not to long ago.
    Be interesting to know if you've ever had a FS stxyd..

Yes, I used to own an Orange and a Specialized when I used to ride downhill more. I've always ridden bmx/street/dirt though, so thats probably why I like hardtails.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Steve Peat was racing DH on a rigid not much before that ;-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is good is whatever you like

This is the crux of it. Ride what suits you, not other people.

I am lucky have a number of bikes, and sometimes the fun is in riding a trail on a different machine as it opens up new challenges. Fun and performance are two different things.

However, some aspects of perfomance allow people to enjoy stuff more than others. For me I like light, but strong kit. My Zaskar frame can take a 130mm fork - how many 3lb frames can do that? Combined with sensibly light and sturdy kit I have a comfortable bike that can do what I want for the majority of my riding, and hence is the bike I use the most.

But still love to hve a crack on the Goose form time to time!
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    i went from FS to HT and tbh i regreted it was fine on singletrack stuff but once in the lakes on rocky bridleways it was like rideing a jack hammer, and wasn"t much fun seeing all my FS mates off in the distance now im back on FS and would"nt change it again
  • bails87
    supersonic wrote:
    My Zaskar frame can take a 130mm fork - how many 3lb frames can do that?!
    My C456 :wink:

To be fair, that's probably about the only other one!
    MTB/CX

• 1mancity2 wrote:
    hmmmm... buttery, salted or sweet?

Yeah, sweet popcorn will do.. Please continue.

Yeah man!! :lol:
    NAH BBQ pringels (its all down to personal prefrence really)
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)