When do entries for the Fred Whitton open?

2»

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Good luck to all those that got in. Don't undersetimate the course and if the weather is anything like last year it makes this event a real battle. I was near hypo coming off the winlatter in the cold and wet. Somehow all that pain and misery quickly disappears and I strangely wish I was doing it again. Road racing prioirities this year and for the forseeable mean a time of 6.48 and about 40th will be my best and only showing at the Fred.

Enjoy.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    I'd forgotton about above Whinlatter and losing feeling in both hands.
  • Do we get an email confirming entry? my phone only loads up the first page of riders names. dagnammit
  • Cancel that. just phoned up to find that i got a place, my first one. i will admit i am a bit daunted but very excited!!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I never got a place this year again :cry: . Managed to get in last year when I raised £250 for charity but raising money for another charity this so that option is out. Still I have done the last 6 years in a row but wanted to beat my best time as I have been training harder than ever recently.

Its a great event and truly duanting and Hardknott at 100miles is hard but the feeling at the top if you make it is fantastic. Good luck everybody!
    Brian B.
  • had mine returned, stating entered too late, despite sending special delivery the morning the post offices opened after new year

ah well :cry:

I sent mine on the 4th and got the same letter.......sounds bloody fishy to me, did the local postie die or something
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    had mine returned, stating entered too late, despite sending special delivery the morning the post offices opened after new year

I had the same message and I sent it first class on Jan 3rd.
    They obviously did get the entry in time, shame they couldn't print out a decent reply, the one they sent just made me a little angry.
    If they had just said "Sorry, you didn't get a place" I wouldn't have minded.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    speshsteve wrote:
    had mine returned, stating entered too late, despite sending special delivery the morning the post offices opened after new year

I sent mine on the 4th and got the same letter.......sounds bloody fishy to me, did the local postie die or something
    It really is the luck of the draw. I'm in, but some of my friends who have been regulars on the event missed out this year. It used to be first come first served which favoured local riders but the new system is much fairer. A look at the entry list supports this and there is a really wide geographical spread.
  • Nickwill wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

It really is the luck of the draw. I'm in, but some of my friends who have been regulars on the event missed out this year. It used to be first come first served which favoured local riders but the new system is much fairer. A look at the entry list supports this and there is a really wide geographical spread.

I get it, just disappointed although I take issue with how an "Online" entry system would favour local riders? 1st come 1st served as per marmotte, dragon etc etc does make for the most transparent and fair entry with everyone clear if they are in or out.

Anyways good luck to everyone who got in, looks like a cracking challenge/day out and I'm very jealous :P
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Really bummed as I didn't get my entry either, other than an returned SAE... I guess they're more keen to have those who are sponsored...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    speshsteve wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

I get it, just disappointed although I take issue with how an "Online" entry system would favour local riders? 1st come 1st served as per marmotte, dragon etc etc does make for the most transparent and fair entry with everyone clear if they are in or out.

Anyways good luck to everyone who got in, looks like a cracking challenge/day out and I'm very jealous :P

Sorry. I probably wasn't clear. It's always been a postal entry, but local letters arrived first so tended to win out on a first come first served basis. The thing with this event is that it predates all the other UK events and it has kept a rather old fashioned quality. I rather respect that! Hope all those posters who've got an entry are already training with Hardknott in mind! It's a great day on the bike!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Back cycling to work most day's, 50 miles last Sunday few hills. 43 the Sunday before similar terrain. Tommorrow? at least 60 miles with a few more hills.
    Also got the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in Edinburgh 15th April, so got to keep the running going too!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I was going to do a climb up wrynose today but it was far to windy for that. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see. The duddon valley is the shitest spot to be when you've got a head wind.
  • I've got a training route I've been doing round here that has 106ft ascent per mile, a bit less than the 112 ft/mile of the FWC but a good start. I'll get over and climb the real FWC climbs sometime soon.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I've got a training route I've been doing round here that has 106ft ascent per mile

sounds a bit like my MTB route last weekend .....3400 ft climbs over 26 miles :)
    Most of my training routes 30 miles types are 15 m / km on road, ie about 80 ft / mile
  • Crossers
    Crossers Posts: 23
    If you are one of the unlucky few thousands whom didn't get an entry to the Fred Whitton. Why not do the Chris Walker instead. Trust us, this is only a tad easier. Or should we say a little less harder! www.chriswalkercyclechallenge.com