When do entries for the Fred Whitton open?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I need to make a note in my diary!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Does it not say on the website? Its usually some time in January.
  • rodgers73
    The site is a bit vague -

"The 2012 Fred Whitton Challenge will be held on Sunday 13th May. Details of how to enter will be on this website in early December"

Given that it sells out so fast I was hoping to find out the date entries could be booked etc.
  • styxd
    Pretty sure it was early January last year.
  • The Fred Whitton is normally done by drawing the names 'from a hat'. I think you normally have about a week to enter and then they publish a list of successful entrants online.
  • rodgers73
    Ah, ok.

That's an annoying system!
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Ah, ok.

Why is it annoying? seems fairest way to me.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • styxd
    is it your first time doing the FW?

If so, I think you can mark your envelope as a "first time rider" and you're likely to get a go since they reserve a certain amount of places for first timers.
  • rodgers73
    DaveMoss wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Ah, ok.

Why is it annoying? seems fairest way to me.

Yes, its fair. Cant argue with that.

But also annoying in that I'd be happy to log on 1 minute after entries open and take my chances. The lottery idea seems to remove the possibility of me being able to incease my chances of getting an entry (although the new rider idea seems useful).
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not sure that 20 million* Olympic ticket applicants would agree with the concept of a lottery system for ticket allocation.

*made up number.
  • You should try getting Glastonbury tickets then :roll:

You have to pre register with photos and all your details, but they let loads more pre register than there are tickets available. So when tickets go on sale it's still a bunfight and pure luck if you can get em :(

Names out of a hat is probably as fair as any other system :|
  • rodgers73
    Yes, that sounds a bit rough. Especially as the best result that you can expect is that you get to go to Glastonbury - nightmare! :wink:
  • :lol::lol: I can still smell the toilets :shock: :(
  • rodgers73
    Still no sign of entries opening...

:-(
  • styxd
    Its there on the website now, entries open 01/01/12 and must be in by the 12/01/12
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Ah, ok.

Previously it was first come first served via postal entry. This meant that local entrants like me, had a major advantage as we could hand deliver entries, or rely on local post getting our entries in earlier. Much as it suited me very well (for selfish reasons) I think the new system is much fairer. I haven't ridden it since 2007 so am girding my loins for another crack and an attempt to get under 7 hours 30m.
  • rodgers73
    styxd wrote:
    Its there on the website now, entries open 01/01/12 and must be in by the 12/01/12

The swines, they must have changed it in the last 24 hours. Just to make me look stupid!
  • Does anyone that has done the event before know whether or not you can register on the saturday or is it only on the morning of the event?
    Thanks
    Rick
  • Yes you can register on The Saturday. I would advise that you do and get a fast getaway on Sunday morning.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Thanks for that Mechanic
    Will travel up on the friday from taunton now if i get on.
  • styxd
    Registering on the Sunday only takes 5-10 minutes or so depending on what time you intend to set off
  • Anyone going up to do the fred whitton 2012 from the south west ?
    If so has anyone got room for another nutter to share the costs?
    Rick Allison
    Taunton
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Have sent off my registration for the Fred challenge which opened today. Let's hope I get a place. Never been to Cumbria before so will be interesting to see & ride.
  • nickwill
    hatone, if you've never been to Cumbria before,prepare yourself for a treat or a shock. Hardknott is the most intimidating climb in the UK and arguably in Europe. The route is as beautiful as it is challenging, and is in my eyes the best and most exciting sportive in Britain! Fingers crossed that i get an entry this time!
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Hardknott is the most intimidating climb in the UK and arguably in Europe.

It is a long time since I rode Hardknott, and Wrynose, and I`m sure that this statement will cause some debate --what about the south side of Bwlch Y Groes for instance, or Park Rash.... :)

Anyway hopefully I`ll get my entry drawn out too !
  • nickwill
    JamesB wrote:
    Hardknott is the most intimidating climb in the UK and arguably in Europe.

It is a long time since I rode Hardknott, and Wrynose, and I`m sure that this statement will cause some debate --what about the south side of Bwlch Y Groes for instance, or Park Rash.... :)

Anyway hopefully I`ll get my entry drawn out too !
    I haven't ridden the Bwlch Y Groes but last time I rode Park Rash I felt that it was easier than Hardknott. It's steep but not quite as relentless or long.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Hardknott is the most intimidating climb in the UK and arguably in Europe

+1
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    List is now out and I`m IN :):)

just a wee bit of hill training to do now :(

good luck to all others who`ve got an entry and sadness for those who haven`t
  • I'm In also!

That Shore Road is gonna get some hammer over the next few weeks!
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    I'm in again, this will be the 4th time. Yahoo!
    Now I just need to think about what I need to do to be able to get up Honister and Hardnought's without getting off. :D
  • had mine returned, stating entered too late, despite sending special delivery the morning the post offices opened after new year

ah well :cry: