Sat Nav

2»

Comments

• Does anyone know if you can download some GPX files that are better than others?

I was told that some will offer the turn by turn directions and that some may not because of the way that they are made, is this correct?

Many Thanks
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Not sure. They have all worked fine for me so far.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can download some GPX files that are better than others?

I was told that some will offer the turn by turn directions and that some may not because of the way that they are made, is this correct?

Many Thanks
    In GPS parlance, we often talk about Routes and Tracks. Routes are a series of waypoints that specify how to get from A to B (or A to A for a circular route). A track is a record of data points that shows where you have been and is typically recorded as you ride or walk at a specified interval, e.g. every 2 seconds or every 10 m.

For example, I have a circular route that is 20 miles long and contains 100 waypoints. I use the route to navigate the circuit and I record a track as I go. When I get home, I have a track that contains 1200 data points because I configured my GPS to record a data point every 6 seconds and it took me 2 hours. The other way to look at it: a route is what you are going to do. A track is what you have done.

Most of what you find on the net are tracks. That is, people upload a GPX that has all the data points for something they have already ridden. I don't know how that would work for navigation. My GPS (Viewranger) notifies me when I get within a certain distance of the next waypoint. That would be very annoying if I was to use a 1200 point track! If it worked at all. I don't know exactly how the Garmin works in this case. I haven't invested in one yet.

Typically I will download a track from a site like gpsies.com, load it onto my PC and re-trace the track as a series of waypoints, placing the waypoints on the map at important points, like where a direction change is required or the trail forks, etc. I then load my route onto my GPS and head out. It has worked quite well for me so far.
  • Lots of good advice guys.

Got lost about 6 times yesterday just around the local area! Trekking through more fields, avoiding peoples back gardens, not knowing which way is which in the woods... One day I will learn not to mutter 'this way will be more exciting!' and just go the easy route instead...

A map and a compass would be a huge help in hand. I'm sure. But as pointed out above, having to stop and get it out every 5 mins could be a bit of a chore. And I do like to wander off the track a lot too. So find myself changing direction constantly as I go backwards and forwards.

A GPS could potentially make it so much more easy and enjoyable, just to be able to see an arrow that says, 'look dude, it's this way!'

Just comes down to budgets now I think...and maps are a lot cheaper!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Riding buddies. Find people who ride in the area and know places. e.g. this forum's Rides section is a good starting point.

That's how I generally learn places. I find I ride with many different people over time who know different trails and I build up a good knowledge of the area by riding regularly. Many trails I'd never know were there just exploring myself.

Once I've got the feel of the area I can explore more and whilst I may not be quite sure where I'm going I find interesting trails and know the rough direction to the nearest road/path/etc that will get me back. Then I can show others the stuff I know, they show other people, and so on.

That way there's less need to follow a map to navigate.
  • Totally agree that there's no substitute for local knowledge, and when you're looking for good trails, there's trails out there you'd never find via a map. But part of the fun for me, is the explore. Getting lost. Having to wade through a big river and over a wall to get a glimpse of hope, rather than turn back to endure the same 4 miles of boggy fields you've just descended.

Some form of reliable navigation just makes it that little bit easier...
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    dpaulett wrote:
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can download some GPX files that are better than others?

Many Thanks
    In GPS parlance, we often talk about Routes and Tracks. Routes are a series of waypoints that specify how to get from A to B (or A to A for a circular route). A track is a record of data points that shows where you have been and is typically recorded as you ride or walk at a specified interval, e.g. every 2 seconds or every 10 m.

For example, I have a circular route that is 20 miles long and contains 100 waypoints. I use the route to navigate the circuit and I record a track as I go. When I get home, I have a track that contains 1200 data points because I configured my GPS to record a data point every 6 seconds and it took me 2 hours. The other way to look at it: a route is what you are going to do. A track is what you have done.

Most of what you find on the net are tracks. That is, people upload a GPX that has all the data points for something they have already ridden. I don't know how that would work for navigation. My GPS (Viewranger) notifies me when I get within a certain distance of the next waypoint. That would be very annoying if I was to use a 1200 point track! If it worked at all. I don't know exactly how the Garmin works in this case. I haven't invested in one yet.

Typically I will download a track from a site like gpsies.com, load it onto my PC and re-trace the track as a series of waypoints, placing the waypoints on the map at important points, like where a direction change is required or the trail forks, etc. I then load my route onto my GPS and head out. It has worked quite well for me so far.

very good explanation there
    I use mine slightly different as I download a track put it on the Dakota and have it overlay on the map
    I then just follow the line on the map, a quick glance down to make sure of turns coming up etc and have never got lost yet(famous last words lol)
    like you I find the constant beeping telling you to make a turn very annoying when using a route unless its as you say just for major route changes forks in trail etc, but I don't use this method now
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    If you have a smart phone, Endomondo can be useful for tracking your wearabouts.

I have used this in combination with a map several times. It is useful in confirming where you are against where you think you are.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Also, gvSig Mini Maps on android is (very catchily named) and useful, you can preload sections on there too, I'm sure.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."