UK women are 'fattest in Europe'

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Glad to hear this, more lovely fat girls to shag, win win imo .....
  • DIESELDOG wrote:

It took me a fair few years but eventually I got there. I still struggle with my back so have to be very careful. But I guess my main point is the comment from Cambsnewbie, think yourself lucky you saw a fat lady in your gym. Say Hi next time you see her, given peoples attitudes I doubt she'll be back.

Love n hugs

DD

Believe me, huge bonus points to her for literally getting off her fat arse and trying to do something about it. My point was the irony of whilst she was 'working out' she was actually putting far more calories into her body than she could ever burn up by what she was doing. To me, it shows the huge lack of education and knowledge (and I don't mean specifically her) out there about what we eat and the consequences of what we do to ourselves. It also shows the power of advertising when this female has probably looked at the vending machine with a picture of Jessica Ennis on the side and thought, it it gives her a fantastic body, maybe it will work for me too. And I include myself in this too. Having tried for the last 15 years or so to eat 'healthily' I have only recently understood the link between too much sugar and fat in a meal together and not just the total calories..

It also frustrates me that the employees of the gym see this lady drinking these drinks, and not one has taken her to one side and said anything. Even in a gym there seems to be a conflict between the commercial world and the money the gym must make selling these drinks in a vending machine along with the chocolate coated flapjacks and the advice they give their users.

Oh, and I have said hello to her, getting to the gym at the same time as her and holding several doors open for her. She didn't say anything to me.. Too busy talking, phone in one hand and powerade in the other to be able to manage a simple 'thank you'!!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    giant man wrote:

Gross, you need help :shock: !
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    DIESELDOG wrote:

It took me a fair few years but eventually I got there. I still struggle with my back so have to be very careful. But I guess my main point is the comment from Cambsnewbie, think yourself lucky you saw a fat lady in your gym. Say Hi next time you see her, given peoples attitudes I doubt she'll be back.

Love n hugs

DD

Believe me, huge bonus points to her for literally getting off her fat ars* and trying to do something about it. My point was the irony of whilst she was 'working out' she was actually putting far more calories into her body than she could ever burn up by what she was doing. To me, it shows the huge lack of education and knowledge (and I don't mean specifically her) out there about what we eat and the consequences of what we do to ourselves. It also shows the power of advertising when this female has probably looked at the vending machine with a picture of Jessica Ennis on the side and thought, it it gives her a fantastic body, maybe it will work for me too. And I include myself in this too. Having tried for the last 15 years or so to eat 'healthily' I have only recently understood the link between too much sugar and fat in a meal together and not just the total calories..

It also frustrates me that the employees of the gym see this lady drinking these drinks, and not one has taken her to one side and said anything. Even in a gym there seems to be a conflict between the commercial world and the money the gym must make selling these drinks in a vending machine along with the chocolate coated flapjacks and the advice they give their users.

Oh, and I have said hello to her, getting to the gym at the same time as her and holding several doors open for her. She didn't say anything to me.. Too busy talking, phone in one hand and powerade in the other to be able to manage a simple 'thank you'!!!

Yep that's them ...........
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Watching last nights XFactor (yes I know but I was too feeble to wrestle the remote from my Mrs's 8 stone, 17 BMI grasp) I was struck by the chubby girl from Little Minx statements about her weight. To paraphrase ' I don't care if I'm fat, people will have to put up with me as I am' Well that's all well and good but what sort of message is that putting out to other young ladies? It's ok to be fat and unhealthy for all of your life (however long that may be)? I sypathise to some extent as she has been the subject of nasty comments. What makes me laugh listening to some young girls on the train the other day, all of them no strangers to cake and beer from what I could see, was the opinion that the sort of man they would only be interested in needed to be 'fit' with a 'six pack'. I nearly choked on my 'Big Mac'!!!
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Watching last nights XFactor (yes I know but I was too feeble to wrestle the remote from my Mrs's 8 stone, 17 BMI grasp) I was struck by the chubby girl from Little Minx statements about her weight. To paraphrase ' I don't care if I'm fat, people will have to put up with me as I am'

I'm mid-thirties and single and trying to find a partner that doesn't appear to spend her spare time eating cake is a pita. I've met a few with the 'this is me and it's your problem if you don't like it' attitude...well, fantastic love, and you'll still be single in 10yrs time then won't you! The thing is obesity seems to have almost acquired the status of disability in the minds of some people, in so far that it is poor form to draw attention to it. I'm certainly not looking to poke fun out of them but I'd like to be able to turn down someone's single friend because she's overweight and unattractive without being portrayed as some sort of heartless rotter.
  • Anyone else noticed the irony of this thread being in 'cake stop'?!?

Isn't it too many cake stops that has created this problem???

Maybe it's just my warped sense of humour!
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    :D That's why I posted it in here. :D
    Peter
  • Aaahhh... Like your thinking!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

Believe me, huge bonus points to her for literally getting off her fat ars* and trying to do something about it. My point was the irony of whilst she was 'working out' she was actually putting far more calories into her body than she could ever burn up by what she was doing. To me, it shows the huge lack of education and knowledge (and I don't mean specifically her) out there about what we eat and the consequences of what we do to ourselves. It also shows the power of advertising when this female has probably looked at the vending machine with a picture of Jessica Ennis on the side and thought, it it gives her a fantastic body, maybe it will work for me too. And I include myself in this too. Having tried for the last 15 years or so to eat 'healthily' I have only recently understood the link between too much sugar and fat in a meal together and not just the total calories..

All 120 of them? Fair play to saying Hi, wish I'd had that at the gym I went to, but if no response was forthcoming I'd either add to the ignore list or think that maybe someone needed to feel a little more welcome.

Manners cost nothing, yet they get you a long way.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • dilemna wrote:
    Why is it that rich or wealthy people are rarely fat/obese? Most seem to be the benefit scroungers / disability / low income sort of people which would make you think little money to spend on excessive amounts of food so eat less and not become fat / obese?

Oh dear , WALOB
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    dilemna wrote:
    NHS treatment for fatties / obesers should be a sewn up mouth but with an opening to get a straw in, pair of running shoes and a bicycle.

And presumably idiots should have to wear mittens when they are allowed to use the internet in case they type something moronic?
  • DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

Except for lo/cal. of course :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    England........................The new Texas.

Just as well they didn't include the Scots otherwise the figure would have been even higher.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Carl_P wrote:
    England........................The new Texas.

Just as well they didn't include the Scots otherwise the figure would have been even higher.
    They couldn't find the Irish! They were probably all in the pub :lol:
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    dilemna wrote:
    Why is it that rich or wealthy people are rarely fat/obese? Most seem to be the benefit scroungers / disability / low income sort of people which would make you think little money to spend on excessive amounts of food so eat less and not become fat / obese?

The worst kind of food is the cheapest. Take a visit to your local 99p shop or Poundland. Tinned veg, tinned meat, biscuits, crisps, sugary drinks, chocolate, cakes, sweets, crap cereals. All lovely and cheap. Then pop next door to Iceland and stock up on oven chips, pes, etc... You can probably feed a family of 4 or 5 for well under £100 a week. You'd be feeding them absolute crap though.

Compare that to our family food bill which is predominantly fresh fruit and veg, fish, chicken, dairy, pulses and a couple of bottles of vino and a few treats and you're paying nearly twice as much.

The better off are able to afford gym memberships, home exercise equipment and, to b e blunt, are often better educated. I've known people who simply do not understand that a diet consisting of frozen pizza, full fat coke, alcopops and chocolate is akin to an express train to type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
  • dilemna
    GiantMike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    NHS treatment for fatties / obesers should be a sewn up mouth but with an opening to get a straw in, pair of running shoes and a bicycle.

And presumably idiots should have to wear mittens when they are allowed to use the internet in case they type something moronic?

Is that what you wear then? Or could it be because you can't get your fingers inside gloves?
  • Squaggles wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Oh dear , WALOB

While his tone is a little ott there have been studies which bear out a link between lower income households and obesity, the crucial factor being those with higher incomes tend to be better educated which includes knowledge about what a healthy diet is.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    hstiles wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

The worst kind of food is the cheapest. Take a visit to your local 99p shop or Poundland. Tinned veg, tinned meat, biscuits, crisps, sugary drinks, chocolate, cakes, sweets, crap cereals. All lovely and cheap. Then pop next door to Iceland and stock up on oven chips, pes, etc... You can probably feed a family of 4 or 5 for well under £100 a week. You'd be feeding them absolute crap though.

Compare that to our family food bill which is predominantly fresh fruit and veg, fish, chicken, dairy, pulses and a couple of bottles of vino and a few treats and you're paying nearly twice as much.

The better off are able to afford gym memberships, home exercise equipment and, to b e blunt, are often better educated. I've known people who simply do not understand that a diet consisting of frozen pizza, full fat coke, alcopops and chocolate is akin to an express train to type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Wrong.

One bullet, one deer, = several meals. Not very Deer then.

Trouble is there being a lack of "I shot it I'll eat it, I'll feed the street mentality. Sorry, I'm going back to get my gun.

L n H

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • GiantMike
    dilemna wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Is that what you wear then? Or could it be because you can't get your fingers inside gloves?

Oh dear. I think you're fuelling the moronic fire with more moronic comments.....

Man A: "Sir, you have the manner and bearing of a mountain goat, but without the ability go go uphill very fast"

Man B: "Er no, that's you that it"

Come on man, get a decent insult in, not some half-baked reference to gloves which doesn't make comedic sense.

I await your hilarious repost (as in a response, not just a re-post).
  • GiantMike
    Squaggles wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Oh dear , WALOB

While his tone is a little ott there have been studies which bear out a link between lower income households and obesity, the crucial factor being those with higher incomes tend to be better educated which includes knowledge about what a healthy diet is.

Correlation or causation? There's a correlation between the number of lights I turn on in my house and the outside temperature, but not a causation.

Did these studies conclude that the cause of obesity was not being a rich or wealthy person.
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    I hate to see all these bloaters around it really annoys me but there seems to be a clear link between education and social class, not easy to break I suspect.
  • People need educating at a young age into understanding the benefits of healthy diet/lifestyle; it's no good trying to bully them into it when they're older.

I would hazard a guess most people who have a healthy lifestyle have been "sporty/active) from a very young age.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • GiantMike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Oh dear. I think you're fuelling the moronic fire with more moronic comments.....

Man A: "Sir, you have the manner and bearing of a mountain goat, but without the ability go go uphill very fast"

Man B: "Er no, that's you that it"

Come on man, get a decent insult in, not some half-baked reference to gloves which doesn't make comedic sense.

I await your hilarious repost (as in a response, not just a re-post).

I trust that you are actually waiting for his hilarious 'riposte' ? :roll:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    dilemna wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Lol there's nothing gross about it you fool, I happen to go for girls with big t*ts and a88es, what' wrong with that, in this world of 'everything stick thin must be good and healthy and that's the way it should be'. Ridiculous.
  • GiantMike
    Cyclopath wrote:
    I trust that you are actually waiting for his hilarious 'riposte' ? :roll:

That's the spirit. Chapeau, Sir.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Love how fattist cyclists are.
  • GiantMike
    giant man wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Lol there's nothing gross about it you fool, I happen to go for girls with big t*ts and a88es, what' wrong with that?

Big tw@ts and abcesses? You'd love Boston.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    There are all too obvious links to household income, social status and health issues and it is not just obesity - heart and liver disease too. Truth is people, in general, with less money take part in less activity, buy cheaper processed food and drink/smoke more suggested links include low self esteem. Education plays a part but so does the social divide, in countries where there exists a narrower band of income from top to bottom (e.g. Scandinavia) there are less issues with inactivity and obesity - but then they all drink too much and have high suicide rates... being overweight is addictive for some in the same way that some fourmites are addicited to the endorphins and adrenalin of exercise. I for one don't have a problem in my family with weight but one branch does depsite the fact that they all have medical or law degrees and are in some cases are highly respected in their fields, so education is not everything there is some genetics too.
  • DIESELDOG wrote:
    In the end I decided I HAD to do something, but back injury meant cycling, swimming and your usual low impact exercise was out of the question. So I took to walking, up and down my staircase, inside, every 20 minutes. Food was never a problem, never been a fan of processed crap, (apart from kebabs when I'm too drunk to taste them), so I wasn't overeating or sitting stuffing my face with crisps and popcorn.

Love n hugs

DD

Good post. Hats off to you for deciding something had to be done and then actually doing something about it. A few of my work colleagues are overweight but seem to be of the opinion that there's a magical "owt for nowt" solution (which is how fad diets and Marjorie Dawes types [1] are able to make a fair few bob out of gullible and/or desperate folk) to weight loss and carry on eating the same old rubbish and using their cars for obscenely short journeys, etc., etc., rather than opting for sensible eating and/or some sort of mild exercise.

David

[1] "Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust....", etc. ;)
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal