edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Peter

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I think you'd soon get lost...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • force starve the fatties!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You have to take your shoes off first, and there's usually an age limit !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    England........................The new Texas.

to be fair you only need to go down the local high street and see just how big( No pun intended) the problem is...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There was a woman on the radio last night defending the obese, she roughly said - " You're expected to exercise as well as diet but It takes 35hrs of walking to lose one pound in weight, where can you find that amount of time !".
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Bozman wrote:
    There was a woman on the radio last night defending the obese, she roughly said - " You're expected to exercise as well as diet but It takes 35hrs of walking to lose one pound in weight, where can you find that amount of time !".

Is there an emoticon for banging my head against the wall?
  • DIESELDOG
    There is but it doesn't work on this forum.

Usually just (headbang)

Oh well...

Love n hugs

DD

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bozman wrote:

Erm... nobody expects anything, love.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Erm... nobody expects anything, love.

Utter crap from what I assume was a blimp shaped woman trying to defend her crappy lifestyle,take-away diet and couch potato snacking attitude. These are the kind of people that think fat makes you fat,that eating 2 large portions a day is good and sugar coated cereals are great for breakfast (if they have any at all)

Obesity isn't hereditary either,which is usually another excuse. "I weigh more than my car because my parents were 4ft5 and 46 stone between them" No no no no no

YOU WEIGH MORE BECAUSE YOU'RE LAZY! I see people in the gym on a daily basis who are well into the higher BMI figures,do they exercise? NO, they make a half assed attempt at using the cross trainer or maintaining 4.5kmhr pace on the treadmill then walk around glugging from their water bottles. I've even seen people with 500ml bottles of coke.

It's not just women either men are as equal. A comedian once stated that " The UK is only good at sports in which sitting down is a part of" I can't remember who it was,but if you read into it. The meaning is much deeper.

/endrant
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    force starve the fatties!

Forced stationary bike powered TVs.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Utter crap from what I assume was a blimp shaped woman trying to defend her crappy lifestyle,take-away diet and couch potato snacking attitude. These are the kind of people that think fat makes you fat,that eating 2 large portions a day is good and sugar coated cereals are great for breakfast (if they have any at all)

Obesity isn't hereditary either,which is usually another excuse. "I weigh more than my car because my parents were 4ft5 and 46 stone between them" No no no no no

YOU WEIGH MORE BECAUSE YOU'RE LAZY! I see people in the gym on a daily basis who are well into the higher BMI figures,do they exercise? NO, they make a half assed attempt at using the cross trainer or maintaining 4.5kmhr pace on the treadmill then walk around glugging from their water bottles. /endrant

+1
    I could not agree more.

BTW I like the BBC but do they really need to tell us things we all know?
  • Pep wrote:

YOU WEIGH MORE BECAUSE YOU'RE LAZY! I see people in the gym on a daily basis who are well into the higher BMI figures,do they exercise? NO, they make a half assed attempt at using the cross trainer or maintaining 4.5kmhr pace on the treadmill then walk around glugging from their water bottles. /endrant

+1
    I could not agree more.

BTW I like the BBC but do they really need to tell us things we all know?
    [/quote][/quote]

Swear to God, I saw a huge woman a couple of weeks ago at my gym do about ten minutes on a cross trainer and then walked for about 20 minutes on a treadmill at an incredibly slow pace. During this she drank TWO bottles of Powerade and not the zero carb version!!! I heard her tell someone she was rehydrating with essential minerals and vitamins so she could work out harder and longer!! If it hadn't been so tragic I'd have laughed...
  • train journey from Carlisle last week - had to put the arm rest down to protect my seat from the oouzing fat crossing the divide, from the early 20's girl - who then got out 2 family bags of crisps and 3 cans of Carling, as a 'snack' - it was 10 am! on Sunday morning for christ sake! unplesant - as was the view of the pixelating tattoos on her regrettably uncovered arms!
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    ^^^^ I'd like a go on that too
    Peter
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Swear to God, I saw a huge woman a couple of weeks ago at my gym do about ten minutes on a cross trainer and then walked for about 20 minutes on a treadmill at an incredibly slow pace. During this she drank TWO bottles of Powerade and not the zero carb version!!! I heard her tell someone she was rehydrating with essential minerals and vitamins so she could work out harder and longer!! If it hadn't been so tragic I'd have laughed...
    Ahh powerade,19grams of carbs,14grams of sugar for the pleasure and 100mg of salt to help her hold water. No wonder she's huge :roll:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I don't think there's actually a problem. So there are more and more fatties around. Makes the slim gorgeous ones (like my wife) even more desirable.

If there is a problem, it's the low standards of the men who shag then, thus perpetuating the fat mum = fat kids cycle of lard. Almost all of these obese disgusting fatsters have a partner. The headline should read 'UK men have the lowest standards in Europe'.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    GiantMike wrote:
    If there is a problem, it's the low standards of the men who shag them, thus perpetuating the fat mum = fat kids cycle of lard. Almost all of these obese disgusting fatsters have a partner. The headline should read 'UK men have the lowest standards in Europe'.

I think you will find that booze plays a massive part of this..........Beer goggles and all that.

I would suspect that most of these fatties have been very lucky in getting some poor ole p*sshead who's had a great night on the lash to give them a rumble....Shocking i know but i dont make the rules.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    train journey from Carlisle last week - had to put the arm rest down to protect my seat from the oouzing fat crossing the divide, from the early 20's girl - who then got out 2 family bags of crisps and 3 cans of Carling, as a 'snack' - it was 10 am! on Sunday morning for christ sake! unplesant - as was the view of the pixelating tattoos on her regrettably uncovered arms!
    Some people would pay good money for that.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    GiantMike wrote:
    I don't think there's actually a problem. So there are more and more fatties around. Makes the slim gorgeous ones (like my wife) even more desirable.

Yeah, but more thin ones would keep her on her toes. :wink:
    GiantMike wrote:
    If there is a problem, it's the low standards of the men who shag then, thus perpetuating the fat mum = fat kids cycle of lard. Almost all of these obese disgusting fatsters have a partner. The headline should read 'UK men have the lowest standards in Europe'.

The study found that 22% of British men are obese. Beggars can't be choosers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ...yet still none of them will shag me. FML!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DIESELDOG
    Oh I hate being serious...

I actually feel I have to stick up for some of the fatties, (note I said SOME).

Quite a number of years ago I was one of those fatties, after having my daughter I lost all of the weight gained fairly quickly. However then a back injury prevented me from being as mobile and active as I had once been. Feeling increasingly fed up with my expanding waistline I withdrew into my own world and before long weighed in at around 16 1/2 stone.

I would not go to the gym for fear of being the fat one huffing and puffing on a tread mill drinking copious amounts of Powerade, (which incidentally I really like), being ridiculed by other users. You don't have to speak to someone for them not to know you're extracting the urine out of them. A raised eyebrow and pitiful look is enough to put people off returning.

So I sat at home and moped. At the time where I lived, (no car, couldn't drive, no bus service), made it pretty impossible to get out and about, (very rural sticks, no footpaths so not safe to try and walk the mile or so to a bridleway with baby in buggy), this all went on for a few years.

In the end I decided I HAD to do something, but back injury meant cycling, swimming and your usual low impact exercise was out of the question. So I took to walking, up and down my staircase, inside, every 20 minutes. Food was never a problem, never been a fan of processed crap, (apart from kebabs when I'm too drunk to taste them), so I wasn't overeating or sitting stuffing my face with crisps and popcorn.

It took me a fair few years but eventually I got there. I still struggle with my back so have to be very careful. But I guess my main point is the comment from Cambsnewbie, think yourself lucky you saw a fat lady in your gym. Say Hi next time you see her, given peoples attitudes I doubt she'll be back.

Love n hugs

DD

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    I withdrew into my own world and before long weighed in at around 16 1/2 stone.....

....In the end I decided I HAD to do something...

..It took me a fair few years but eventually I got there.

Love n hugs

DD

But I think you've proven the opposite to your intention. You decided something HAD to be done, did it and lost the weight. Most people don't make this decision, get lardy and do nothing about it then get obese.
  • DIESELDOG
    I know where you're coming from but having been there, the point I was trying (and failing) to make was that I was too embarrassed to go to the gym, (back issues allowing), or even try and get out and about for fear of people looking and inwardly commenting.

Does that make sense? :?

Love n hugs

DD

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I had a BMI of 19-21 until I was 42. In fact, as a teenager, it was nearer 17, so I was technically underweight, and heartily sick of being accused of anorexia which really annoyed me as I've always loved my food, and ate what I wanted. I actually struggled to put on the weight to get into nurse training. It was just the way I was built. Clothes shopping was, bizarre though it may seem, pretty tough, because it was difficult to find tops which fitted my non-existent bust.

Fast forward to my 40s, and a combination of the menopause and a devastating virus which led to six years of battling chronic fatigue with various degrees of success, and I was nudging a BMI of 29 (Although I was told that I 'didn't look it' and 'looked healthier' than when I was thin and younger). I can easily shop for clothes, and continue to cycle, run, swim and go to the gym as regularly as I can. The weight's dropping off at a steady pound a month, but another relapse of chronic fatigue can see me with only enough energy to work, whilst my metabolism grinds to a halt.

Which is my problem and I'm working on it. But, having been both thin and fat, it's socially far easier to be plump. No-one envies you. It's easier to buy clothes. And there's a clubbish delight in others getting you to eat 'bad' food that's echoes getting you to drink 'just another'.

And oddly enough, I didn't have the confidence to go to a gym or run when I was thin, now it doesn't bother me. But I would applaud any one who was obese and at least made it out the changing room.
  • DIESELDOG
    Tusher wrote:

And oddly enough, I didn't have the confidence to go to a gym or run when I was thin, now it doesn't bother me. But I would applaud any one who was obese and at least made it out the changing room.

The flip side. It works both ways. Thank you.

Love n hugs

DD

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    @DD Powerade ? Really?
  • DIESELDOG
    ^^^ Yes, I like it as a drink, nothing about it being a "Sports Drink", I just like it.

Anything wrong with that?

Love n hugs

DD

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Well is the blue or the red?
  • DIESELDOG
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Well is the blue or the red?

Well spotted, I am A MUFC girl, not a MCFC, always have been always will be.

Still doesn't detract from the fact that I should have been made more comfortable in gymnasiums than I thought I would be. Maybe I would have lost the weight a damn bit sooner if I wasn't being sneered at and ridiculed? Hence my rather ill thought out point.

There are some on here that know me, and will know what happened to me on a very personal level. Which is why I feel very strongly about this weight issue, but lets just say, I am here, still conscious of my weight, still not happy with it , (I'm 5' 8", I weigh 11.00st) just weighed myself to get an accurate reading. Earlier this year I was under 10st, Crap I looked ill!! But I was really chuffed, not quite sure why.

My BMI at the moment (whatever that is is) now equates to 23.2, which falls in to the "Normal" zone, but do I feel healthy and slim?

NO I FUCKING DON'T

So please do excuse me for feeling bitter about the "Statistics", it really is about your own personal body, and I DO appreciate the fact that I have done a complete turn around . Because according to some of the "Statistics" I am not only Overweight, I am Morbidly Obese"

As you can probably gather, weight is something that I'm a tad bothered about, I watch what I eat, what I do, how I do things, even down to how I move at work.

Sometimes though, I just give up.

Love n hugs

DD

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Why is it that rich or wealthy people are rarely fat/obese? Most seem to be the benefit scroungers / disability / low income sort of people which would make you think little money to spend on excessive amounts of food so eat less and not become fat / obese?

NHS treatment for fatties / obesers should be a sewn up mouth but with an opening to get a straw in, pair of running shoes and a bicycle. Any car should be crushed. Fatness is a life style choice. If one is a feeling a bit down, do something that occupies you so you are not, but don't stuff your face with choclit, crisps or cake. And for crying out loud do some regular hard exercise.

Was filling the car with diesel yesterday when I heard shouting. It sounded like "Mars bar!" I looked around the garage forecourt and then saw an immense bloke in a Ford Fiesta roll up right next to the kiosk payment window and shout and point to the cashiers inside "Mars bars, Mars bars!". This guy was absolutely frikking huge, he was like a beached whale. He was practically lying down in the driving seat with his stomach totally obscurin the steering wheel. I have never seen anything like it. God only knows how he managed to drive safely. As I went by to pay inside, I couldn't help but give a sharp intake of breath and a "Jeeeesus Christ!" unfortunately slipped out. Then one of the cashiers took out to him 3 huge Mars bars, a large family pack of crips and a huge bottle of Coke. As I went back to my car fatman shouted at me "It's 'cos I am disabled!" No, it's not. Disability or not, you are a fat greedy b*stard. He has probably been given disability status as he weighs about 45 stone. I struggle to imagine how he gets in and out of his car let alone all his other domestic duties. Unbelievable. And there are lots like him, male and female slobs.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.