Crudcatchers MK2

2»

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Went for a short and muddy ride this morning, running CrudRacers mk1 on my Boardman Team and Conti 24mm tyres. Had to stop 3 times to find a stick and scrape out the mud that got trapped between the tiny clearance between the tyre and the inside of the guard (front and rear). My bike computer has also been sent back under warranty so with nothing to tell me how fast (or how slow) I was riding, together with constant scraping noise dragging against the tyres it felt like a long hard slog!!! No way 25mm tyres will fit so i reckon I'm gonna go back to race blades, not ideal but got to be better than this mornings ride... :roll:
    With all the mud on the roads at this time of year round here that is why I have a winter bike with full guards. Roadracers are great for autumn and spring when it is just rain to contend with and do extend the time I use the best bike. As has been said before they are the best solution for keeping dry on a bike with little clearance. The best solution is a bike with enough clearance to use full guards. :wink:
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Eugh, absolute nightmare trying to fit these on my Planet X SL with 25mm Contis - ample clearance on the front but just ain't gonna happen on the back.

Why must mudguards be so damn difficult? Had a total nightmare getting SKS ChromoPlastics fitted to my hybrid last winter too.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's not the fault of the mudguards; it's the manufacturers fault for not making your frame with adequate clearance. But why would they? The Planet X SL is hardly a touring bike, is it? It's all about clearance ....
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    giant man wrote:
    It's not the fault of the mudguards; it's the manufacturers fault for not making your frame with adequate clearance. But why would they? The Planet X SL is hardly a touring bike, is it? It's all about clearance ....

It's not a touring bike and that's fine - but it is sold as a winter trainer...
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    They are wobbly and rub from time to time - all a bit heath robinson however, they are worth persevering with as they keep your feet, bum, back, and I think the chainset much cleaner and drier than would otherwise be the case.

They are a sod to fit - I cheated - brought my bike into the company bike park area where two colleagues who had been through the pain of fitting them helped me out big time!

Peter
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The clearance on my Spesh Secteur drives me mad. I bought the bike when I first got into road biking and read things like "ideal for touring and spending all day in the saddle" and "has fixings for mudguards" and so naively I assumed the bike would be good in all weathers and take mudguards. How wrong I was and that is not the fault of Crud. I use Cruds because they are the only set that work and even then just about...with 23mm tyres (which is annoying because I would ride 25mm). The Cruds do bounce about and rub every now and then which kind of feels a bit rubbish...but I won't blame Crud because it is that or nowt.

These look to be worth a go but they were announced months ago and I haven't seen them on sale yet:

http://road.cc/content/image/43166-sks- ... ng-pairjpg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I read somewhere that the SKS Race Blade Longs should be released in the UK in Jan 2012 (a bit late for many ) :(

I'll just have to resort to the Singlecross with full guards, and MTFU to get up those hills! The Boardman looks to be relegated to turbo duty :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    I fitted these in September to my 2010 Allez,the clearance is minimal so they invariably clog up when going through mud,but I think theyr'e a great product if you use the bike in wet conditions.
    Here's what they look like fitted to my Allez,as you can see the clearance is negligible,23c tyres fitted.
    I like how the rear guard protects the front mech from spray & muck etc.
    P1000667-ALLEZ-REAR.jpg
    I doubt I could run 25's with the guards fitted
    P1000665-ALLEZ-FRONT.jpg
  • I fitted MkII Cruds to my Roubaix last month and am very impressed. Yes, they do make a bit of noise from time to time and, out of the box, they seem like something out of an Xmas cracker but, the fact is, I bought my bike to ride in good weather and it is a bonus that I can fit this well-engineered/designed foul weather protection to extend my riding over winter. I don't think anyone suggests that Cruds equate to 'proper guards' but they are 90%+ as good and I'd much rather spend £20ish on them than £500 on a winter bike with its associated maintenance and storage issues.
  • greeny1
    greeny1 Posts: 106
    Another satisfied customer had mine on a month now, no rubbing easy enough to fit, plenty of clearance but I have a big bike (lanky bugger). Have to maybe adjust the bands every week or so, this takes seconds but otherwise great coverage and at a good price. Can get them for £20. I highly recommend them to anyone!
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Would the giant defy mudguards fit on other bikes.
    I have 25mm tyres and the new set have been no problem at all.
    Look good and keep the mud away from me, set once and have not needed adjusted and no rubbing.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mud............... all this talk of mud gumming up your mudguards ?!?!
    Where on earth are you guys riding ??

Move south, it's far more civilised :wink:

Ok, I know it's in the name, so it somewhat implies that that's what they're used for, but really !? If there's so much mud on the roads that it's clogging your guards, find another route. (Or, dare I say it, gt your MTB out)

A better name would be sprayguards.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MattC59 wrote:
    Move south, it's far more civilised :wink:

Naaah, it's not a North South thing - there's no mud here either (though East Yorkshire does get pretty muddy to be fair).

Incidentally, whilst SKS type guards are, in most respects, less of a compromise than Crud Racers, the SKS's don't protect the mech as well as Mk2s. So, in that respect at least, Cruds are better than proper guards.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hi greeny1 where can you get these for £20 please?
  • http://www.wittons.co.uk/product_info.p ... B00435NFKA

not sure what delivery costs are as I didn't look that closely

*scrub that, that webshite just redirects and won't accept the request*
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Thanks anyway hulla - anyone else know where ?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    just put mine back on, took them off earlier this year and left them as a complete unit, was amazed that they just slipped back into old position straightaway took less than 15 mins for both! Did get rid of those fiddly little nuts that hold the struts to for/uprights and used cable ties instead, much quicker and more reliable
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I fitted my "second" pair last week and it took roughly 30/40mins, "second" because halfway through last winter I tore mine off in a fit of rage - purely down to mud getting caught between the crud and the tyre, if you cycle down country lanes you'll pick mud up where the farmers pull out of fields etc, it kept happening and in the end I snapped, it must have looked like a scene from Faulty Towers!
    I'm avoiding country roads as much as possible at the mo, if it happens again, I'll just put up with a wet arse and shitty shoes.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    livin in t' country, i get this a lot as well, constantly looking for puddles to ride through to clean inside of guard, the other thing that works is pressing the front guard lightly against tyre, cleans a lot of the residual mud away
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • greeny1
    I got mine about a month ago. Just typed in google and ranked them in order of price. The lowest was twenty pound and so many pence if i remember correctly. Just took the print out into Evans who priced matched it for me! 20.94 at velo kit when ive just searched now. Evans or possibly your LBS should price match it!
  • greeny1
    also £21 on amazon with free delivery if you can wait a few days! Well worth it IMO. Cant see why people moan about them. I was sceptical untill I got them and not had any bother thus far. Very pleased
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    I'm another surprised at people having problems with mud. I ride on single track country roads through farming areas and very rarely end up with proper mud on my bike. It is usually covered in muddy, watery stuff but nothing that creates a build up on the tyres :?

I'm looking to get a set of the Roadracers soon and will do the 4mm allen key test recommended by Mr Crud. Shouldn't have a problem as I ride 23mm tyres and it is an older bike (pre-oversized frames) so will hopefully have a bit more clearance.
  • rolf_f
    Pross wrote:
    I'm another surprised at people having problems with mud. I ride on single track country roads through farming areas and very rarely end up with proper mud on my bike. It is usually covered in muddy, watery stuff but nothing that creates a build up on the tyres :?

To be fair, it will depend on where you are. The stickiness of mud depends on the grain size of the particles, what they are made of and what the water content is. Sandier, coarser muds will be a lot less claggy than very clayey, silty muds. And that is down to geography.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    It's clay in my area (and I've done soil mechanics as part of my degree :lol: ).
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

To be fair, it will depend on where you are.

ie. road or field.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Ran Mk2 Cruds with 25mm tyres last winter, found that cycling through a puddle usually clears away any mud build-up
  • rolf_f
    Pross wrote:
    It's clay in my area (and I've done soil mechanics as part of my degree :lol: ).

Well you shouldn't need any explanations then! :P
  • Fitted mine last night. Admittedly i got help by a friend but it took the grand total of 15mins to fit them without a single modification.

I put tape on all of the contact points and it actually didnt touch the frame on the back wheel due to the rear mech so i didnt need to do anything there. The rear guard also missed the chainstay bridge at the bottom so it didnt need trimming there either.

Worst bit was fiddling with them brushes near the rims.

1st ride tonight, bet i have jinxed it.

Oh the bike is a Trek 1.5
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    fitted crud 2s yesterday 2 my winter bike(carrera TDF) they work like a dream,£21 off ebay bargain......