Training after knee op

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
Hi

Had my knee op last monday and to be honest, over a week later my knee is responding better than I thought. However, I know I can't rush back in to cycling or running but am looking for advice from others who've had the same op (cartilage removal).

How long should I wait before gingerly clipping back in and using the trainer? I know light resistance will be the order of the day but after that, I'm sort of stuck.

Advice appreciated.

Darren.

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    dg74 wrote:
    Hi

Had my knee op last monday and to be honest, over a week later my knee is responding better than I thought. However, I know I can't rush back in to cycling or running but am looking for advice from others who've had the same op (cartilage removal).

How long should I wait before gingerly clipping back in and using the trainer? I know light resistance will be the order of the day but after that, I'm sort of stuck.

Advice appreciated.

Darren.
    Speak to your physio.
    try rollers or turbo on one legbetter than nothing then when you get full range of movement back do light work on rollers.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My last cartilage op was a bit more aggressive then the first two, and I was 50 by then, so the recovery was a bit slower. The good news was that my surgeon said I could try the bike whenever I felt like it, and I found that as long as I was spinning the pedals I found cycling to be the least uncomfortable thing I could do. I kept a record of what I was able to do and when; seems it was 4 weeks before I was back on the road.