Keeping A Record.

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
Does anybody keep a record of all their cycling via an excel spreadsheet? I would like to start one, just to look back on and see if any patterns emerge or see how my effort compares to other times in the year, or in other years. However i'm unsure what to include on my spreadsheet to get the most out of it, I don't have any fancy gear (power meters, HRM, Garmin) i have my Cateye Strada Wireless, so i know my distance and Average Speed, and can get elevation date from various websites but thats about all. Basically its more of a keeping tally excersize, but if anybody else does anything like this, any tips on layout and what to include would be a great help!

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Yep, got all my rides logged from the start of 2004 to present day :oops:

The fields I have are

Date
    Distance
    Route (Each route I do has a number so I can easily compare rides)
    Bike used
    Time taken
    Average speed
    Ave Hr
    Max Hr
    Elevation data
    Weather
    Notes, e.g. who I was out with, if I felt good or was knackered.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't even use a bike computer now. I do record my mileage and routes on a spreadsheet just to see what ive been up to.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Yep I keep every single mile in a Spread sheet, typically recording all the information that my Garmin produces plus a comments section, the spreadsheet is multi tabbed to allow for me to record my rides on all my bikes.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Don't use a spreadsheet, but I do record all rides in WKO+ and online with Garmin Connect. Both have the facility to record comments etc.
  • hi send me an email to leicester.cycles[at]gmail.com and I'll send you an xls spreadsheet you can use.....it also gives an impression of the energy and watts expended (but this isn't particularly accurate). regards alex
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I record everything on SportTracks.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    I'm a spreadsheet man. (Note: I'm not a spreadsheet, man.) Mostly I record stuff as others have posted, but at the end of each line I've got the cumulative average speed, to spot any long-term trends, as well as recording average and median distances per ride.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I log everything on the Garmin website, very handy comparing same routes and previous rides, plenty of useful info can be logged.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    used to keep a notebook but now just do it on garmin connect, very handy keeping track of progress.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Golden Cheetah for me - free, easy and no website to lose all your data. If I wasnt using an HR monitor or power meter though then a well planned spreadsheet would probably be enough.

I also like Strava, as that logs everything neatly but has the added advantage of 'segments' where you can log your performance of preset parts of your routes, and compare your performance to previous rides or others if you like. Its also free!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...