Heart Rate of 214bpm?

mikeradar
mikeradar Posts: 43
So I paired a new garmin premium HRM with my edge 800 yesterday and did a 3 minute interval.

The max HR I hit was 214bpm. Is this abnormally high, and what does this mean?

I also took resting HR, and that was 50bpm.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Resting HR sounds right, were you over excitied about using the HRM feature of the 800? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It means that either you have a maximum HR of at least 214 bpm or you got dodgy reading from your HRM (which is not uncommon at the start of a ride unless you wet the contacts).
    More problems but still living....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be very surprised if you got to 214bpm in one three minute interval ?

The HR doesnt jump so you should see a steady rise up to that level. If you dont see that, then its just a blip.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Was it on the road, or on the turbo. If it was on the road it could have been a flapping jersey that caused the readings. On some descents with some of my jerseys I get readings of 200+ when obviously no where near that.

HR is individual but what sort of age are you (not that I would expect anyone to hit 214 bpm in 3 mins as Cougie has said)
  • The Garmin Premium HR straps can be prone to giving bad readings or giving up altogether, over on the Garmin forums plenty of people, me included, have had issues with them, ive gone back to my 5+ yr old hard strap which still works perfectly.
  • +1 for the garmin strap problem. Try a different jersey, or try wearing the strap with the sensor on your back - it does work!
  • It certainly doesn't look like a blip, here's the garmin data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129244168

Could it be that I just have a very high HR?
  • SBezza wrote:
    Was it on the road, or on the turbo. If it was on the road it could have been a flapping jersey that caused the readings. On some descents with some of my jerseys I get readings of 200+ when obviously no where near that.

HR is individual but what sort of age are you (not that I would expect anyone to hit 214 bpm in 3 mins as Cougie has said)

SBezza,

It was on the road, the jersey wasn't flapping. I'm 27. It looks like from the garmin data (above post) that my heart rate was above 200 from 52 seconds onwards...
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    I've seen similar things on mine esp when running - first 5-10 mins, hr around 170+ then settles to a more realistic 150ish. Solved it by properly spitting on the strap instead of just a quick lick :shock: See how it goes with that and on a longer ride before panicking
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey under a minute to 200bpm ? Wow !

How did you feel at that level.

Could you chat, gasp a word or two, or had you lost your vision by that time ?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    That Garmin HR trace doesn't look real to me.
    More problems but still living....
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    cougie wrote:
    Blimey under a minute to 200bpm ? Wow !

How did you feel at that level.

Could you chat, gasp a word or two, or had you lost your vision by that time ?

+1 to these questions, really would question the data, as I would never expect it to rise so quickly. That's not to say it hasn't, but it does seem strange. I wouldn't rule out some interference TBH, the jersey doesn't have to flap much at all to give a false reading, you might not even notice it.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Garmin have just replaced my HR Strap for my Garmin 800 as I was recording at the end of my rides up to 248 bpm!

I chatted to a few mates and they all said that had it gone that high at my age then I would be in hospital or in the morgue!

I called Garmin and without any hesitation they said they would send me a replacement FOC, didn't even ask for the old one back, apparently they have had a number of complaints with the HRM on the 800.

I never had any problems with my 705 which had the hard strap, but the 800 comes with a soft strap so I wonder if that is where the problems lie.

Glad to say I'm now back to normal.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    52 to 53 sec in you jump from 189bpm to 211bpm. That's got be an error. That sort of jump at the upper end just doesn't happen in 1 sec, or at least not for me.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Garmin have just replaced my HR Strap for my Garmin 800 as I was recording at the end of my rides up to 248 bpm!

I chatted to a few mates and they all said that had it gone that high at my age then I would be in hospital or in the morgue!

I called Garmin and without any hesitation they said they would send me a replacement FOC, didn't even ask for the old one back, apparently they have had a number of complaints with the HRM on the 800.

I never had any problems with my 705 which had the hard strap, but the 800 comes with a soft strap so I wonder if that is where the problems lie.

I have this problem too! About in every 5 rides I get reasonable readings, the rest are rubbish (average heart rates of 240s aren't uncommon). Did you contact Garmin directly or go via the retailer?

On the other hand it does make people worry during turbo sessions when they look over at my numbers... :wink:
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Cunso
    Cunso Posts: 2
    A normal physiological max heart rate is 180. The software is either over reading the ECG complexes or you are flicking into supra ventricular tachycardia.
    I'm a ED doc
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Velonutter wrote:

I have this problem too! About in every 5 rides I get reasonable readings, the rest are rubbish (average heart rates of 240s aren't uncommon). Did you contact Garmin directly or go via the retailer?

On the other hand it does make people worry during turbo sessions when they look over at my numbers... :wink:

Give Garmin Tech a ring and tell them what is happening, they sent out the replacement within 2 days with no quibble, seems like they know the problem is more wide spread than they are letting on.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Cunso wrote:
    A normal physiological max heart rate is 180. The software is either over reading the ECG complexes or you are flicking into supra ventricular tachycardia.
    I'm a ED doc
    For whom?

Many people on this site have seen rates higher than 180 so they are all suffering with dodgy HRMs or have SVT :?

Glad you're not my doc :roll:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • Johncp wrote:
    I've seen similar things on mine esp when running - first 5-10 mins, hr around 170+ then settles to a more realistic 150ish. Solved it by properly spitting on the strap instead of just a quick lick :shock: See how it goes with that and on a longer ride before panicking

Yep,I think you're right! Completely wet the electrodes through and now it's working great, max HR on a hilly ride today was 185, much more realistic...
  • Cunso wrote:
    I'm a ED doc

First of all, :lol:

Your heart rate monitor is, to be frank, giving you incorrect readings. My old hard strap was doing this until I moved the strap 5 odd cm down. You may have a high MHR but to jump so high in such a short time isn't possible. The trace is exactly the same as when mine was misreading.

For the record my MHR is at least 203