Merida Brass Monkeys

Comments

• Wow, thats one of the best videos I've seen for ages...and made even better cos I'm in it :lol:

Is there anyway I can save that to my files?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    gazhurst wrote:
    Wow, thats one of the best videos I've seen for ages...and made even better cos I'm in it :lol:

Is there anyway I can save that to my files?
    www.videora.com then download the youtube downloader
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Cracking video that Javi, did you record it on your head cam as well?

Fridgeboy, cracking write up and well done for finishing!

Got 1st lap full, plus some bits. Included when I crashed. Need to edit but it's first time using Las Vegas Pro :oops: so it's going to take some time for a very basic edition
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    fridgeboy wrote:
    I'm in Winchester and have only been out (twice) along some of the bridlepaths around here. I don't know if there is anything like yesterday's terrain around here. I did hear there was something over at Stoke Park Wood at Bishopstoke which is not too far away. Anyone know what's there or if there is somewhere better in the area?

Hey, well done for getting around!!! :D

As for how to improve, practice, practice and practice. We're based near Romsey, not a million miles away from you, and we ride regularly in the New Forest. Drop me a PM if you're interested in joining us sometime - you would be very welcome :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A way to improve technique is riding off road as much as you can. Better with hard tail than full.

I'd disagree personally, ride what you have, there's a school of thought that suggests riding FS makes you lazy etc, but I'm not really convinced you end up a better rider if you start on a hardtail.

You have the end of the South Downs on your doorstep, but Jason's advice is spot on to see if you can find a local group to ride with.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    fridgeboy wrote:
    I'm in Winchester and have only been out (twice) along some of the bridlepaths around here. I don't know if there is anything like yesterday's terrain around here. I did hear there was something over at Stoke Park Wood at Bishopstoke which is not too far away. Anyone know what's there or if there is somewhere better in the area?

Well done on your baptism of fire :lol:

Pop into Hargroves. I know they do rides from the shop but don't know any more than that.

There is the Oxdrove near Alresford as well as miles of Bridleways in that area. Often see riders around Cheesfoot head too!

click me for some ideas!
  • njee20 wrote:
    A way to improve technique is riding off road as much as you can. Better with hard tail than full.

I'd disagree personally, ride what you have, there's a school of thought that suggests riding FS makes you lazy etc, but I'm not really convinced you end up a better rider if you start on a hardtail.

You have the end of the South Downs on your doorstep, but Jason's advice is spot on to see if you can find a local group to ride with.

Maybe you're right njee20. Would it be better to ride as many different types of bikes on different terrains as possible? Never ridden a full sus :oops: and might not be the best person to give advice. Anyway, so far for me it's working fine. I'm normally faster on technical twisty stuff but fire roads kill me!
    Finally got the clip of the second round in youtube :D I've posted on Your pics and vid sub forum. Go to 3:30 for the crash.

Who is going to 3rd round at Hungry hill? Read that first part is really hard and once you get to the top it's fast flowing singletrack. Mud tyres maybe?
  • njee20
    Would it be better to ride as many different types of bikes on different terrains as possible?

I'd not get too hung up on what you have, I'd say it's better to get used to your bike though, rather than trying as many as possible. Riding a variety of places will improve your skills though certainly.

I'm going to R3, a few more hills would certainly suit me! Hopefully it won't be too wet!
  • Last round.
    Good luck tomorrow! :D
  • The Course is in great shape even dusty in places :D

A Bumper entry as well, we will be gridding the top 6 in each Category too.

Will be a great finale to the series.
  • miss notax
    Good luck everyone :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• miss notax
    So how did everyone find it? :D

I am feeling absolutely SHATTERED :? Managed three laps today - although the last one was tough going. Came 6th in todays race, and got 3rd place in the series overall 8) Really pleased with that! Found starting at the front slightly alarming though :shock:

I saw quite a few accidents today - I hope everyone from here is ok? I rode past one chap who was concussed and had broken his collar bone (people were with him and help was on the way - I didn't literally ride past him without checking!) and Notax helped some poor girl who was pushed into the lake. My friend who was racing also got pushed off her bike by a couple of blokes. Not sure what got into some people, but pushing girls off their bikes isn't a particularly manly thing to do in my book :evil:

• VWsurfbum
    Blimey! That's just not cricket!
    Well done on your 3rd place, what did you get?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OTOH I helped a girl out of the river at 10 Under the Ben who swore she'd been pushed in... I saw it happen and there was a rider about 10 feet behind her but I don't think he could have pushed her as he wasn't Mr Tickle.

<edit- not casting aspersions on Mr Tickle you understand, I don't think he'd push a girl into a river. Might feel her up though>
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    edited January 2012
    yeah, lots of arrogant roadies, saw two of them arguing (properly shouting) because neither of the two wanted to sit on the front - rather funny actually.

Plenty of people cutting one another up at the start, which was MANIC but to be honest, you had to cut someone up at some point if you wanted to get anywhere.

I was quite pleased with result considering the state I was in on saturday...

Hope anyone that broke themselves makes a speedy recovery!

video edit to follow!
  • njee20
    Great fun I thought - started right at the back, had a laugh chatting to people, then got a puncture! A terrible result, but a lovely day to ride your bike!
  • VWsurfbum
    njee20 wrote:
    Great fun I thought - started right at the back, had a laugh chatting to people, then got a puncture! A terrible result, but a lovely day to ride your bike!
    sounds like the best way to enjoy racing tbh
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • miss notax
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Blimey! That's just not cricket!
    Well done on your 3rd place, what did you get?

A nice trophy (my first for mountain biking!) and a new tyre - can't remember what type, but a racey one I havent heard of before! Feel knackered now :-(

• Miss Notax

Hope Notax cooked your dinner tonight. As I only managed 1 lap due to mechanical failure I had to cook dinner + bread baking when I got home.

Second in the series trophy sits proudly next to my cup from the last race. Will send you some photos from todays race.
  • miss notax
    Notax cooking...? Not sure I'm that brave!!!

Think we both did flipping well - just sorry about your bike issues. Would love to see some pics if you have some!

• SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Breakdown of the race on a lap by lap basis...

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/lapbylap/M ... Round3.asp
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Woww! What a race!! Destroyed from top to bottom. Had to rush the last half of my fifth lap to get an extra lap. Did it just for 81 seconds so I'm more than happy with my result. 6 laps under 4 hours 49 minutes :D:D

I started really fast 3 laps. Lap 4 was feeling really bad, second half of 5 ok and did the last lap chatting with another guy who had been riding at my pace most of the race.

I saw the girl by the lake being attended . Suddenly, 2 fast guys overtook me on my right side, on a narrow gap between me and the casualty. They didn't slow down or told me they were coming! :evil:

The course was very tough and didn't enjoy much the pain on those long hills on fireroad. It's more suitable for roadies I guess. AT the end of the race I thought the course was much worse than the previous 2 rounds but after viewing the video of the first lap I'd say it's not as bad as I thought.
    Overall, top marks for this Merida Brass Monkey Series. Great effort, fantastic!
  • SiLanc wrote:
    Breakdown of the race on a lap by lap basis...

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/lapbylap/M ... Round3.asp

Very interesting link. I was checking the races for last year until you stopped updating it.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Yeah, sorry about that. It's a long story. Anyway, back now.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    miss notax wrote:
    Would love to see some pics if you have some!

My family took a few snaps!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 940&type=3

Fantastic event overall! Got 13th in the over 40's so well happy with that. New Reba's were so much better than my old J1's 8) . I had some guy randomly ride into my bars on the first lap. When I said watch your line, I got abuse back and I must admit that in response I called him a w*nk*r :oops: . Will bite my tongue next time. Loved the descent :D
  • miss notax
    Nice photos!

There seemed to be some very grumpy people there on Sunday!! :?

• ollie51
    I did a quick edit from the footage I got on sunday - http://vimeo.com/35599142

Enjoy!
  • njee20
    Probably a good video, but I can only see your forks :?
  • ollie51
    njee20 wrote:
    Probably a good video, but I can only see your forks :?

I was trying out a new place to the camera, which was the forks, I can't say I'm a huge fan, you just can't see enough of the trail.
  • njee20
    Agreed, and what you can see is the boring peripheral stuff. Quality's good though.