Merida Brass Monkeys

Comments

• agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Have fun out there today on the 4 hour run, the course was good I found and conditions were perfect, probably wouldn't have liked it so much in the rain though with mud/wet roots everywhere.
    I now groan every time I have to bend down so it was pretty brutal on me, but most importantly I have to remember when to stand and when to sit as a low branch almost ripped my head off! Luckily, it just dented the helmet and thats it. I managed 4 laps in about 3.5 hours, not quite enough time left for another lap...luckily :-)

My endomondo laps are here if anyone wants to see the course -
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/un-zPiA4woc
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Rode this today after a good few years away from XC racing and cycling :mrgreen: . Got 32nd in vet male so too shabby 8) . I sold all my gear when I stopped and had to borrow my sons 30lb Gary Fisher :| May have to invest in some new equipment I feel :wink:

The course was very entertaining and 100% rideable. Good job the organisation :D
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    edited November 2011
    agg25 wrote:

Thanks for the map upload. I may follow it this weekend as I wasn't confident enough to enter the real event!

Anyone know any way I can transfer the route to the Endomondo Android app?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Mccraque wrote:
    Miss N - i did see you...not on your bike though. I don't know if that was after your tumble but you were off to one side, on a blue 5 - on lap 1. I couldn't say hi as was a little far away.

Ah, I had a couple of 'chain off' incidents as well on lap 1 (don't know why, maybe my gear changing was a bit aggressive, was fine on lap 2 :? ) so could have been anything!! Either way, I was probably looking a bit grumpy!

GrenW - you should give the next one a try! If you're going to ride the course anyway, may as well try your luck in the race :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • miss notax
    Oooh, just seen the results, 7th out of 15!! If I had done a third lap as a similar pace I would have been 5th :D

Am quite chuffed with that!

Results are here http://www.timelaps.co.uk/results.aspx
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    miss notax wrote:
    GrenW - you should give the next one a try! If you're going to ride the course anyway, may as well try your luck in the race :D

I may try the one after Xmas. I'm currently riding a 10 year old bike that I dragged out of the garage 4 months ago when my love for riding was rekindled. So current steed is a 34lb bike with crappy rubber suspension, an aversion to changing gear and brakes that are frightening if pushed too hard. There's a spangly new Cube LTD Race in the bedroom with a 'don't touch till Xmas' sign on it that is just calling my name but I'm trying to be a good boy!

It's a pity I couldn't do the Porridgepot one as I ride that area twice a week so knew much of the course already. :cry:
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    Hi guys, please could you remove the gps logs of the course, as it can affect some very delicate relations with the MOD reference access for mountain bikers.
    This should shed some light on the reasons why: http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/about/
    Cheers
  • rus6
    rus6 Posts: 9
    It was a great course and excellent trail conditions, I really enjoyed it.

I did however also smack my helmet on the low branch at the end of one of the down hills.

I also got hopeless lost on the first lap as the tape had mysteriously disappeared at one point, so I headed off down a rather large concrete hill bit like the tank traps and then along a trail before finally realising I was about to re-do a section of the lap the wrong way. At that point I did start to get a bit worried I wouldn’t find the trail again, but luckily I spotted a few people that were previously behind me and made my way over to them!
  • agg25
    GrenW wrote:
    agg25 wrote:

Thanks for the map upload. I may follow it this weekend as I wasn't confident enough to enter the real event!

Anyone know any way I can transfer the route to the Endomondo Android app?

I've just shared it as a route -
    Go to http://www.endomondo.com/routes/ then on the search bar (on the map window) type pirbright. This should then show you the Brass Monkey's route I did, then once clicking on it, you have the option for Download to phone down the bottom left.
    Hope that works, if you follow it just be sure to duck for the tree branch my head smashed!
  • agg25
    I wrongly thought that if I did a lap that finished after the 4 hour cutoff it wouldn't be counted so I finished at about the 3hr 30min mark. I don't know if it was common knowledge that it would be counted as long as it started before the 4 hours and/or whether this was written anywhere but I couldn't find out on the website. Although my legs were already pretty shattered!
    Only other criticism would be that there was no water anywhere to fill water bottles, I had to buy a few bottles from the caravan. I've ridden other marathons before where there's food and energy drink (after you've paid your £20 of course) to top up on the way. Could be an area of improvement for next time.
    Apart from that, great day out in the forest!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They actually mention having water on the website, I wasn't looking, but agree I didn't see any.

Sure Jon mentioned the 'come through at 1:59/3:59 and you can go back out again' in his startline briefing.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    njee20 wrote:
    Sure Jon mentioned the 'come through at 1:59/3:59 and you can go back out again' in his startline briefing.
    It was mentioned to me when i booked in, but i knew that anywhoo.

*edit*
    Pictures are up
    http://joolzedymond.com/photocart/index ... llery=1269
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • miss notax
    Who's up for the second one (Sunday) then??! :D

Me, Notax, and a couple of other friends will be there!

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    no can do, i organised a xmas ride and i now am the proud owner of a cracked frame after the last race!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Hi! I'm doing the second one. I'll try not to miss the start again :p.
    I'm riding a Boardman hard tail, got a large goatee and skulls maillot, easy to spot me. VW, have fun this Sunday :mrgreen:
  • njee20
    Yep I'm there, and gonna be lining up early so I can at least vaguely near the start! Looks like it may be a bit parky!
  • miss notax
    njee20 wrote:
    Yep I'm there, and gonna be lining up early so I can at least vaguely near the start! Looks like it may be a bit parky!

And a tad muddy I think....!!!

• Hopefully it won't be too muddy. Tunnel Hill drains really well, and at the moment it is fairly dry. It looks like there could be a heavy downpour tonight, as long as that is rain and not snow it 'should' be ok. A few parts of the area do rip up a bit if it is wet, but other than that it really won't be too bad.

I haven't ridden the course yet, but have heard there are lots of hills and lots of singletrack.

I am not racing, but spectating and looking after the kids while my wife pootles around in the 2 hr race. I will try to cheer on anyone I spot.
  • miss notax
    What bike is your wife riding? There aren't too many ladies riding in the 2 hour race, so it's easy to spot other girls!

• njee20
    She's the one at the front on the red and white Whippet :-)
  • agg25
    I'm doing the 4 hour again, I hope the course aint too muddy. Any ideas as to whether to go for mud tyres (Mud X) or stay with the Nobby Nics?
    Going to aim for 5 laps without hitting any trees with my head this time.
  • miss notax wrote:
    What bike is your wife riding? There aren't too many ladies riding in the 2 hour race, so it's easy to spot other girls!

Yes Nick is correct. Lou is riding a red and white On-One Whippet and looks like this:
    http://www.xcracer.com/Brass-Monkeys-VFTP.html
  • miss notax
    Oooh, first place, I look forward to seeing her as she laps me then!! :lol:

• njee20
    If we're posting links to XCRacer have we all seen the photo of me on the poster for the Black Park XC race halfway down the homepage.

I'll be signing autographs on Sunday. :-)
    Any ideas as to whether to go for mud tyres (Mud X) or stay with the Nobby Nics?
    Going to aim for 5 laps without hitting any trees with my head this time.

I suspect the next 24 hours will decide that for you. But as Jason has said it drains well. I think I'm just going to fit Dirty Dans, as they're not really any heavier than Rocket Rons, and I can't see I'll lose too much time if it miraculously dries out. I suspect Nics would be more than adequate, it doesn't get claggy round there.
  • I'll be riding the 4 hour event on Sunday - my first ever MTB race - in fact only my 3rd MTB ride ever. I've just come over from the dark side (long time roadie). I'll be the one that sprints away at the start and ends up on his face at the first bump, bend or root. (Apologies in advance if I inadvertently hold anyone on here up.) I'll post my impressions of the event on Sunday night in case anyone else is planning on a similar transition. My two pre-race training rides have been very frustrating - I just can't convert my leg strength into any useful speed on a MTB - it feels more like skiing than cycling at the moment. I have to concentrate massively on where I'm putting my front wheel otherwise I'm off the bike in an instant. All advice gratefully received...
  • miss notax
    fridgeboy wrote:
    I'll be riding the 4 hour event on Sunday - my first ever MTB race - in fact only my 3rd MTB ride ever. I've just come over from the dark side (long time roadie). I'll be the one that sprints away at the start and ends up on his face at the first bump, bend or root. (Apologies in advance if I inadvertently hold anyone on here up.) I'll post my impressions of the event on Sunday night in case anyone else is planning on a similar transition. My two pre-race training rides have been very frustrating - I just can't convert my leg strength into any useful speed on a MTB - it feels more like skiing than cycling at the moment. I have to concentrate massively on where I'm putting my front wheel otherwise I'm off the bike in an instant. All advice gratefully received...

Wow, not sure I have any useful advice but wanted to say GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll have fun :D

If it's any consolation, on the few road rides that I have attempted I have felt completely out of place... The bike's too uncomfortable, the tyres are too narrow and cars completely freak me out!! I'm much happier sliding through mud and over roots!

• njee20
    I have to concentrate massively on where I'm putting my front wheel otherwise I'm off the bike in an instant. All advice gratefully received

I recommend concentrating massively on where you put your front wheel ;-)

It gets easier.
  • Fridgeboy, if you can get there early enough to preride some of the course do so, it will give you an insight into what to expect on the first lap. Tunnel Hill has lots of rooty singletrack, loads of it will feature in the course, there won't be anything really technical, but I am sure some sections will catch people out... Just try to relax on the rooty bits, the bike will roll over them ok.

miss notax, I have just seen your thread about a carbon hardtail. If you want to check out a 16" Whippet for size, Lou will be about after the race and I am sure you can have a spin on her bike. We will be hanging about around the Four4th tent, just ask for Lou or Jason.
  • Thanks for the encouragement folks. I do have a couple of more specific newbie questions that you might be able to help me with:-

1. is there anywhere to leave a 2nd water bottle and some food near the end of the lap, or do you really need to carry everything you need with you? (I'll be on my tod - the missus won't come and hand me my musette)
    2. do people normally carry spare tube and pump or do most people call it a day if they puncture? (BTW - love how easy it is to get an MTB tyre off the rim! Some of those road Contis are as tight as rat's *rse)
    3. can anyone offer any advice on a sensible tyre pressure for the terrain? My road bike norm is around 110 psi but I think my MTB tyres only have about 40 psi in at the moment. That seems low to me.
    4. is it feasible to do a whole practice lap before the start, or would I be crackers to attempt that?
  • miss notax
    JasonRwmb wrote:
    miss notax, I have just seen your thread about a carbon hardtail. If you want to check out a 16" Whippet for size, Lou will be about after the race and I am sure you can have a spin on her bike. We will be hanging about around the Four4th tent, just ask for Lou or Jason.

That's really kind, thank you, I will definitely try and take you up on that! I love the look of the Whippet but being a bit *vertically challenged* it's too much of a risk to buy without trying. Cheers :D