The best training book

Kit82
Kit82 Posts: 4
Hello,

I am looking for a training book to gain both power and endurance. I am aiming to do a few races and time-trial next spring and would like to train properly over the winter following a set-up programme.
Have you got any favourite book?

Thanks for your advices.

Kit

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I've got Joe Friel's Training Bible which is good for understanding the basics and coming up with a training plan.

However, he's slowly releasing lots of information onto the web via his blog, so I'd do some digging on there first and you may get all you need for nothing. It might take a bit of hacking through, but it should be worth it.

His blog is here: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/
  • Kit82
    Thanks a lot! I will have a look at the website.
  • Arne Bakers book isnt too bad. there is also at least one Power based training guide - have TOTALLY forgotten its name tho' - try Amazon? Flamme Rouge website has some good info and tips too.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you have a power meter? If so then Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Coggan and Allen will be useful.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Do you have a power meter? If so then Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Coggan and Allen will be useful.
    That's the one... short term memory is rubbish and clearly long term is going the same way.... :oops:
  • Kit82
    Thanks to all for your advices. I do not have a power meter. Do you think that's something I should consider? For now, I was planning to train on the turbo depending on heart rate more than power.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    the joe friel bible one is very good as is the Coggan one but if you do anything get a powermeter!
  • Greg Lemonds complete book of bicycling - excellent read and still valid now.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Graeme Obree's will be out soon. Looking forward to that one.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I started from nothing this year and followed Chris Carmichel's 'Time Crunched Cyclist'. It isn't as thorough as Freil's book, but does give you 4 'recipes' to follow for different aims and levels. Next year, I will make my own plan using Freil and Googan's books but I don't think that I knew enough to have been able to do that at the start of this year.

A power meter is an important buy. Powertaps seem to be heavily discounted at the moment as the new model is coming out.