Winter Training with no Turbo - Possible?

CakeLovinBeast
CakeLovinBeast Posts: 312
Since getting my (first ever) road bike in July, I've really been enjoying myself and my main worry now is that I don't want to let my fitness slip too much over the colder months.

- I'm currently commuting 3x a week, but because of the lack of light, the quality of my lights and the quality of the roads, I'm having to do a bike-train-bike 12 mile round trip; as opposed to 34 mile round trip back in the lighter days.
- My only decent ride is on a Sunday on the (newly-joined) club run. However, due to family committments, I can't guarantee to get out for the full 60 miles every weekend.
- I don't currently have sufficient money for either a decent turbo, or a decent set of lights, to increase my time in the saddle. I'm keeping an eye in the usual places for a cheap 2nd-hand turbo, but no luck as yet. I don't want to waste my money on something rubbish that I'm going to want to get rid of in 5 minutes.

I do, however, have access to a gym at work. I find indoor cardio work entirely soul-destroying, but I'm happy to do whatever needs to be done in order to get the maximum benefit from it. I reserve an éspecial hatred for gym bikes, with their lack of clipless pedals and big, fat saddles, but again, I'm prepared to suffer. I appreciate that it's not going to be as good as spending time on a proper bike, or even time on a turbo for that matter, but is it possible to supplement my "proper" cycling with indoor work to at least attempt to preserve some fitness over the winter?
Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic

Comments

• Yes - but only up to a point. If nothing else 45 mins every lunchtime will help you keep the weight off even tho' you might be cycling less otherwise. Personally I would do some kind of intervall training on a bike (or rowing machine) and perhaps some core/flexibility exercises. It might be possible to pimp the bike set up to make it more comfortable - better saddle etc
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Gym bikes are uncomfortable - so use them for out of the saddle training. I use one quite a lot and really feeling the benefit on the hills. Do a mix of short hard resistance intervals (30secs - 1min), with longer medium resistance intervals (3-5mins or as long as you can manage). It's a real good workout and you'll be sweating buckets.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Set of lights can be had for only £30 or so if you want to go the Deal Extreme route ?
    That plus a backup front plus couple of decent rears would surely be sufficienent and the cost can be offset agaisnt your train fare ?
    Turbos can be unbeareably dull for some - might be worth casting around for someone willing to give you a long-ish try-out of theirs to see if you can hack sitting on it for more than a single 5 minute blast.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Magichsine clone £36 from the UK - be with you in a couple of days. For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fashion-CREE-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-1600-Lm-Bicycle-Light-HeadLamp-HeadLigh-/150698078984?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item23164e3308

Smart Lunar R2 £12.49 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR2/smart_lunar_r2_rear_light

Less than 50 quid and you can ride like it is still daylight...!
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    If you find indoor cardio work soul destroying then a trainer will be no different (probably). I must admit my trainer is invaluable in winter, especially to train around light, weather, time or dog sitting (no kids thank god!) constraints.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    mustol wrote:
    Gym bikes are uncomfortable - so use them for out of the saddle training. I use one quite a lot and really feeling the benefit on the hills. Do a mix of short hard resistance intervals (30secs - 1min), with longer medium resistance intervals (3-5mins or as long as you can manage). It's a real good workout and you'll be sweating buckets.

Don't forget that sweating loads isn't really a sign that you're working hard, just that you're too hot :)

Does the OP have any spinning bikes in his gym? They generally allow you to clip in and are a bit better than the usual gym bikes.
  • Nope, no spinning bikes I'm afraid, it's a work gym and whilst it's well looked-after; it's a bit small and not the most up-to-date.

Thanks for all of the input so far.
  • I hate gym bikes - watching dots cross a screen is worse than river fishing for boredom.....and the geometries are all so wrong. buy a Tacx as I did with the variable electro magnet, you can use your road bike on it, and the real life videos and ability to ride 'live' against others is brilliant.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    edited November 2011
    Is there not street lights anywhere near where you live?

Not aimed at you, but I find it hilarious how many cyclists give up riding now because its dark and a bit cold.
  • Zoomer37 wrote:

Not aimed at you, but I find it hilarious how many cyclists give up riding now becuase its dark and a bit cold.

no street lights, exepct the one (yes one) by the church in the village - then 3m in most directions to the next one :)
  • Zoomer37 wrote:

Not aimed at you, but I find it hilarious how many cyclists give up riding now because its dark and a bit cold.
    Not really.
    There's sporadic street lighting for maybe a mile, then you're into the countryside and maybe ~5 miles of dark, potholed roads that get used as a racetrack by the local Corsa racing team. That pattern pretty much repeats itself over and over around here.

I have nothing against riding in the dark or cold. I don't even have an issue with riding in the wet. My issue is with getting crocked either by a careless/stupid/drunk driver, or by clattering a monster hole in the dark. My lights are good enough for commuting, but not for any speed along unlit lanes. I don't particularly want to go for the Magicshine route as, whilst I'm sure they're bright, I've heard plenty about reliability issues and so I'd rather save for something that will last a little better.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    ....I don't particularly want to go for the Magicshine route as, whilst I'm sure they're bright, I've heard plenty about reliability issues and so I'd rather save for something that will last a little better.

While I've heard of issues as well (mostly with the 1st generation lights), my Magicshine is on its third winter and while the switch sometimes takes a couple of presses before it works, can't really complain for £40 when an equivalent output from a big-name brand would have cost 3 or 4 times as much. I've just invested in a light similar to the T6 posted above - £28 delivered. That's less than a lot of to-be-seen lights. If it lasts even a couple of winters I'll be happy. Don't see the point in spending money on something from Hope or whoever that'll cost over £100 when the best light available now will be considered ordinary in a couple of years time.
    More problems but still living....
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I actually feel that I am safer cycling in the dark than in the day. I have more lights than Oxford St at Christmas and if you think about it, that means I am more visible at night than I am in the day, and from a greater distance. This also means I can see the road ahead every bit as well as I could in the day. I can also see cars coming round a bend ahead because I see their lights before I see the car. Generally the roads are quieter as well - once you hit 8pm the roads I train on are almost deserted right now, whereas in the daytime and rush hour some of them are very busy.

I dont like the rain, but can put up with it if required - I can see this curtailing my training to some degree though. I am thinking of supplementing the cycling with swimming/gym over the winter - to work on uppper body too.

amaferanga - was the £28 light you bought shipped from the UK? I am looking to buy a second for my son and about £35 seems to be the cheapest in the UK. Shipping from HK or China will probably mean it is Christmas before it would arrive now.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    apreading wrote:
    amaferanga - was the £28 light you bought shipped from the UK? I am looking to buy a second for my son and about £35 seems to be the cheapest in the UK. Shipping from HK or China will probably mean it is Christmas before it would arrive now.

Its from dealextreme. I was a bit worried it'd take weeks before it was even dispatched, but it was dispatched after 4 day so should hopefully be here within a couple of weeks. Having said that, had I known it was available for £35 from a UK seller I'd probably have got it there instead.
    More problems but still living....
  • From May until September I only had the gym bike to work with because of a destroyed right arm. It kept me fit and improved my cycling (lost a power of weight and built up the quads). And even though I'm now back in the saddle I'm still regularly attending and aim to do so right through the winter.

You don't have to watch dots on a screen if you've got an account at cyclingtorrents.nl and something to play videos on. I'm on a stage of the 2010 Vuelta a day at the mo.
  • If the works gym is a bit lacking and the indoor bikes are rubbish (which they usually are) i'd say hop on the rower. Nail the technique and maybe even look up some training plans on the net to keep it interesting (the sub7 minute 2k is one i'm aiming for at the moment).

Also try and get out both saturday and sunday.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Training doesn't always have to be on the bike.

The Winter is an excellent time to strengthen your core and other parts of the body.

Running, Weights, Stretching can all be done in place of cycling during the winter months

The importance of a strong core in cycling is over looked by many amateur cyclist. Although having a strong core in cycling is important riding the bike doesn't give the core the sort of work out your core needs.

If you have imbalances in your body the winter is an excellent time to sort them out.

Sunday clubrun (take it easy up to the end of january their is a long season ahead gradually increase your distance and the amount of hills you climb)
    Monday rest day ........... use this day to sort out most of the other things in your life away from cycling

Tuesday Running day ---- your not a runner this isn't about running marathons mix pressups, situps start jumps etc into your run. make sure you stretch afterwards. Half an hour to 40 mins is enough don't do anymore than this, rather concentrate on good form and speed of your running.

Wednesday Chain gang --- join a club and start a chain gang find a place which is car free (or nearly car free) and bash out some miles doing through and off in the chain gang

Thursday same as Tuesday

Friday Same as Monday

Saturday 50 mile ride first 10 miles done slow to warm up ........ then 30 miles at a pace where you can still talk but close to having to shut up due to the need to breath heavily. Add sprint points to the ride ie 30mph signs or town signs. last 10 miles done really easy, try and relax the body for the last 10 miles, you want to be able to recover for sunday.

Sunday increase the mileage or difficult of route but don't increase too drastically as little as 3 miles each ride is enough. if in a club ride take it easy ride at the back and push slower riders up hills. Always ride out to the clubrun ride.

Never ride in COLD AND WET CONDITIONS .....WARM AND WET IS FINE and so is WET AND WARM :-) ........ Dress properly and if you can't ride due to weather conditions make sure you go for a run with added exercises.

With regards family and non cycling friends :arrow: put them first during the Winter because you know how selfish you are when the weather is good and you need to ride your bike.

If you can't do 50 situps with out your feet coming off the floor you have weak stomach muscles.
    if your feet do come off the floor after 20 situps or less resort to doing Curls rather than sit ups to protect your back.

I could put it more concisely but I don't have the time.
  • I too feel safer on quiet roads in the dark as opposed to daylight. A previous poster has mentioned that you can get a very good light set up for around £50 (you will do well to find a decent turbo for that much). I ride one of two routes back from work so I know where the bad bits are and I don't descend at 40mph.

When it gets icy I do more running which helps keep the cardio fitness. Whilst the crossover is not immediate, if I am running fit then it doesn't take much time on the bike to transfer the fitness over to cycling.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Never ride in COLD AND WET CONDITIONS

= cobblers!

Apart from anything, that would preclude riding through the entire winter if you live in Lancashire.

If you've got the kit, cold and wet is fine (though if you have poor circulation it can be annoying for the digits).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Rolf F wrote:
    Never ride in COLD AND WET CONDITIONS

= cobblers!

Apart from anything, that would preclude riding through the entire winter if you live in Lancashire.

If you've got the kit, cold and wet is fine (though if you have poor circulation it can be annoying for the digits).

+1 to that.

If you want to become a better cyclist, then cycle, cycle, cycle. If you just want to get a bit fitter do a range of things in the winter.

The only time it isn't really safe to ride on the roads is when they are icy, but even then you could get a good workout by some MTB-ing.

There is no point suggesting a workpout schedule, we are all different and require different stimuli to progress. I am sure someone interesting in just getting fit wouldn't want to follow my training plan, and likewise I wouldn't follow a training plan that was aimed at someone just interested in doing 10 mile TT's.

To the OP, if you are not willing to ride in the dark, and don't have the oppurtunity to ride during the day, then you will have to make do with a gym bike, but don't expect big improvements in fitness, I would aim to try and keep fitness at a reasonable level and wait for the winter to pass. I would still try and commute fully on the bike, and save money from not having to pay train fares, even if the £30 light only lasted 4 months, still works out cheaper then 4 months of train fares. Mine has been very reliable so far.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I appreciate that it's not going to be as good as spending time on a proper bike, or even time on a turbo for that matter, but is it possible to supplement my "proper" cycling with indoor work to at least attempt to preserve some fitness over the winter?
    I must be getting old as my memory is going but I've just checked back and reminded myself that I did the majority of my mid-week training on a gym exercise bike over the winter before I won the British Best All Rounder and the National 50 and National 100 time trials. It was only a very ordinary exercise bike and the position wasn't even that good but I knew exactly what I needed to do on it and I did an hour on that four mornings a week before work. I did also supplement the mornings in the gym with an hour on the turbo two evenings a week and then I was out for decent rides every Saturday and Sunday. I didn't have my best form that year but I don't think it was too shoddy.

So yes, of course it's possible to preserve some fitness over the winter on a gym exercise bike. You'll need to train consistently and hard on it though.

Ruth
  • SBezza
    LOL you nutter Ruth, 6 hours a week on gym bike/turbo :o , no excuses for me wimping out come the really bad weather :lol:
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    SBezza wrote:
    LOL you nutter Ruth, 6 hours a week on gym bike/turbo :o , no excuses for me wimping out come the really bad weather :lol:
    I don't think you're in a position to call anyone else a nutter when it comes to training Steve. :lol:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    I appreciate that it's not going to be as good as spending time on a proper bike, or even time on a turbo for that matter, but is it possible to supplement my "proper" cycling with indoor work to at least attempt to preserve some fitness over the winter?
    I must be getting old as my memory is going but I've just checked back and reminded myself that I did the majority of my mid-week training on a gym exercise bike over the winter before I won the British Best All Rounder and the National 50 and National 100 time trials. It was only a very ordinary exercise bike and the position wasn't even that good but I knew exactly what I needed to do on it and I did an hour on that four mornings a week before work. I did also supplement the mornings in the gym with an hour on the turbo two evenings a week and then I was out for decent rides every Saturday and Sunday. I didn't have my best form that year but I don't think it was too shoddy.

So yes, of course it's possible to preserve some fitness over the winter on a gym exercise bike. You'll need to train consistently and hard on it though.

Ruth

Quite so Ruth. Doing nothing becuase you haven't got/can't afford lights, icy roads, fear of traffic etc is never going to help fitness. ANYTHING you do will help general fitness - even long brisk walks, and the closer you can get to cycling the more it will help cycling fitness. Focussed sessions on an uncomfy gym bike aren't the same as teh real thing but as you have said - not too shoddy either!
  • To the OP: Spin is an option but it's worth it only I would say if you can find a decent class that is cyclist orientated. You are more likely to work hard and get good threshold / interval work from this than on your own on an exercise bike or even a turbo.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Rolf F wrote:

= cobblers!

Apart from anything, that would preclude riding through the entire year if you live in Lancashire.

Fixed :wink:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    My only concern in winter is black ice and snow :shock:

A good light set-up does wonders. For the last 2 years i used a Fenix Torch up-front and the amount of twits that pulled out in front of me was scary.

This year i have upgraded to the Magicshine MJ-8I6 http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/Magicshine-bike-light-MJ-816LSET

Not 1 near miss (yet) Every driver has held back until i have passed 8)

Having a fibre flare as well as my other main rear light also seems to make drivers take extra care when passing me.
  • Slightly off-topic I know, NWLondoner wrote:
    This year i have upgraded to the Magicshine MJ-8I6 http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/ ... MJ-816LSET

Not 1 near miss (yet) Every driver has held back until i have passed

I have the DealXtreme version, and when I commute in to London I switch to flash mode. I love it when drivers complain that my light is too bright, I always respond with, 'Oh did you see me?' and as they ponder the question, I add, 'exactly'.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Slightly off-topic I know, NWLondoner wrote:
    This year i have upgraded to the Magicshine MJ-8I6 http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/ ... MJ-816LSET

I have the DealXtreme version, and when I commute in to London I switch to flash mode. I love it when drivers complain that my light is too bright, I always respond with, 'Oh did you see me?' and as they ponder the question, I add, 'exactly'.

What you are doing is illegal and could cause an accident. Let's hope if there is that it is you on the receiving end and not someone else who is killed as result of your actions. It's not a competition to see who can be the biggest tw@t on the road :wink:
  • SBezza
    doyler78 wrote:
    Slightly off-topic I know, NWLondoner wrote:

What you are doing is illegal and could cause an accident. Let's hope if there is that it is you on the receiving end and not someone else who is killed as result of your actions. It's not a competition to see who can be the biggest tw@t on the road :wink:

Just out of interest, what is he doing that is illegal?