Gisburn wins MBR readers trail of the year!

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited November 2011 in Routes
Well I'm chuffed anyway especially as we have a new section due to open around Christmas.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• Do you mean the hope line, or is there an extra surprise coming!?
  • Excellent news. Went to Gisburn on Monday and enjoyed it so much. Did the full red and Hulley and the new Hope lines great just need a better bike. Cant wait to go back again. Its a cracking trail.
  • stumpyjon
    Nope, not the Hope line. The XC volunteers have been working on a new 1km long section of singletrack to bypass a chunk of downhill fire road on the lower loop. We're close to finishing the first (actually the last) 500m of this new section which means it'll soon be rideable. The downside is because it's the last section the access to it is a bit of a pig along a very boggy bit of fireroad. Eventually we'll link up all the way back tot he existing trail. It should be pretty good as it follows the steep sides of a gulley with a stream in the bottom, once it's bedded in it should be pretty fast, lots of sharp ups and downs. I'll put something up on www.pmba.org.uk when it's open.

• Is the new section where the big black drainage pipe was blocling access to it? When is this due to open? Just wish Gisburn was closer as its brill.
  • Thanks for pmba link. Never seen that site before and there's plenty interesting info on there! Look forward to checking all those new sections

Bwfc4eva, are you by chance the lad I was chatting to at the bench at the top of the fire road climb? I was battered after pushing up it!?
  • I had a carrera Vulcan with white Toras and was probably having a smoke. Are you the one with the red Vitus or did you have a mate with you?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    stumpy is the new hope line open now..

last time i was up there at gisburn it ended in a bog just after the drops....

gisburn aint that far from bolton,,
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Good news that :D

Can't wait to see the new section and get to try the full hope line :D

Just need to get Tim to sort the "uplift" I was chatting to him about last week....
  • That was me with the vitus. Off to gisburm again in a couple of weeks, booked on a skills course.
  • That was me with the vitus. Off to gisburm again in a couple of weeks, booked on a skills course.

Aye you overtook me on the way up to The Cragg. Managed to get round the whole red eventually. I'll have ask the missus to drop me at Gisburn again as i really enjoyed it.

I may look into a skills course there. As my climbing on rocks and roots is useless.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    delcol wrote:
    stumpy is the new hope line open now..

last time i was up there at gisburn it ended in a bog just after the drops....

gisburn aint that far from bolton,,

The Hope line is finished right down to the fireroad now, a word of warning!!! on the new section (gravel) as you come to the rollers and jumps (4 in a row) don't go too fast, these jumps don't need speed they are designed to get air without it, just go nice and steady or you will over cook it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Well I'm chuffed anyway especially as we have a new section due to open around Christmas.

I've had a walk down the new section and it looks good! with a bit of luck I should be able to help out on the December dig.
  • stumpyjon
    As said above the Hope line is finished although I'm not sure if it's officially open. The bit we're working on is the section blocked with the pipe (although the pipe has now gone and is forming a bridge across the stream as of Sunday). Hoping this new bit will be rideable by Christmas (we reckon we have 2 to 3 days of work left). It'll be a bit of a pig to get to it as the access to the start is down a very boggy section of old railway line, the intention is to eventually take it back to the fireroad junction with the gate across.

Keep an eye on the PMBA site, I try and keep it as up to date with local stuff as possible, still got a load more route info and stuff to get on if I can ever find the time. If you can spare a fiver and join (online) to support the work we're doing to working with people like Tony Lund at Lee Quarry amongst other things.

• Whats that new bit on the left just as you go past the home sign (Not onward) It looks like the end of a run but wasn't open last time we were there.

I assume its entered at the top of the hill before you turn for the quarry (by turn I mean rest for 5 as that hills a killer)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    /\ /\ that'll be the hope line
  • 1mancity2
    stumpyjon wrote:
    If you can spare a fiver and join (online) to support the work we're doing to working with people like Tony Lund at Lee Quarry amongst other things.

Done Stumpy :lol:
    The Hope line linking section is offically open as of last week.
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Whats that new bit on the left just as you go past the home sign (Not onward) It looks like the end of a run but wasn't open last time we were there.

I assume its entered at the top of the hill before you turn for the quarry (by turn I mean rest for 5 as that hills a killer)

Yes your correct, to the right as you reach the top of "Hamburger Hill" as we call it.
  • Hamburger hill? I perfer to call it heart attack hill :D
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • 1mancity2
    bjj.andy.w wrote:
    Hamburger hill? I perfer to call it heart attack hill :D

Its not that bad the first time, went up the bugger 9 times sunday!

By the end it would have been quicker pushing but gotto keep going.
  • I rode it for the first time. Last time I was there. I've pushed from pretty much the junction every other time so well chuffed I made it up. I did promise myself ten mins at the top if I did it though. Maybe next time I'll promise myself 7 Mins.
  • 1mancity2
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    I rode it for the first time. Last time I was there. I've pushed from pretty much the junction every other time so well chuffed I made it up. I did promise myself ten mins at the top if I did it though. Maybe next time I'll promise myself 7 Mins.

Good Lad! well done and it does get easier (not) :shock:
  • One thing that could do with a little tidy up is bottoms run. Its got some nice deep craters in places which are now huge puddles. Still like that bit tho :)
  • 1mancity2
    One thing that could do with a little tidy up is bottoms run. Its got some nice deep craters in places which are now huge puddles. Still like that bit tho :)

Manual through them :twisted:
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    One thing that could do with a little tidy up is bottoms run. Its got some nice deep craters in places which are now huge puddles. Still like that bit tho :)

I tried to bunnyhop over them and failed and soaked myself. Enjoyed it tho. Managed an OTB again on the boardwalk up to the Cragg. I just cant do it :lol: I got too fast,brake and skid off the edge.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 wrote:

I tried to bunnyhop over them and failed and soaked myself. Enjoyed it tho. Managed an OTB again on the boardwalk up to the Cragg. I just cant do it :lol: I got too fast,brake and skid off the edge.

Get your speed and gearing right before you get onto it, keep the bike upright and if your gonna brake only on the straights and softly, 2 bits were you get caught out, 1) corner with the camber and 2) the hump back bridge bit, on this pedal hard and try to freewheel over it..
  • Its the hump back bridge, I seem to freeze before getting to it slam on the brake and skid off or put my foot down and fall off.

Out of the three times I've been to Gisburn i have fallen off it twice. I will master it. Managed the rock steps on Homebaked tho so I'm getting there and improving my riding.
  • 1mancity2
    Its the hump back bridge, I seem to freeze before getting to it slam on the brake and skid off or put my foot down and fall off.

Out of the three times I've been to Gisburn i have fallen off it twice. I will master it. Managed the rock steps on Homebaked tho so I'm getting there and improving my riding.

Pedal steady and try and roll over it keeping your pedal stroke nice and even if you need it, if you push to hard your back end just spins and kicks you off.

Well done the rock steps on homebaked take some doing, before long you will be manualing down the first part :shock:
  • stumpyjon
    Yeah, the boardwalk just needs a steady approach, no sudden movements, bit like riding on ice! Congrats on the rocky section, freaks out quite a few people, I have to grit my teeth to get down it and I built the nasty step at the top......

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Gisburn is good...but in my opinion not worthy of trail of the year...the Scott's have the best trails end of.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I don't get it.
    We rode Gisburn last year (wet) and it was basically a mire.Not a big fan of trail centres but the good thing is they're(allegedly) all weather.Gisburn wasn't.The bit before the slab/black bit? was un-rideable.I marked it only marginally better than Dulby and not in the same class as any of the the 7Stanes or any of the the N.Wales TC's and TBH I rate Whinlatter higher and I'd only ride that again if I was riding with someone who really wanted to try it.
    Then again these Polls are a load of Bollox anyway :roll:
  • 1mancity2
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I don't get it.
    We rode Gisburn last year (wet) and it was basically a mire.Not a big fan of trail centres but the good thing is they're(allegedly) all weather.Gisburn wasn't.The bit before the slab/black bit? was un-rideable.I marked it only marginally better than Dulby and not in the same class as any of the the 7Stanes or any of the the N.Wales TC's and TBH I rate Whinlatter higher and I'd only ride that again if I was riding with someone who really wanted to try it.
    Then again these Polls are a load of Bollox anyway :roll:

Since you were last up alot of the sections have been resurfaced to help drainage and new features have been added, the guys do a great job of keeping it running.