AntiCuts Demo - 9 Nov

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Tube for me tomorrow. Work on lock down for the demo tomorrow.
From their own website it looks like it could be big.
exercise.png

Comments

• Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bring out the watercannon on the lot of them - the world is in crisis, this just makes it worse
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Are they going to protest about all those people littering near St Pauls?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    This is the one set I actually agree with, although maybe not for the reasons they think.

It shouldn't cost 9k + what the govt put in to educate a kid for a year. They're creating a ponzi scheme like they have in the US. The govt already know that most students won't pay any of this money back, so it becomes yet another way to create more off balance sheet govt debt.

The costs will come much later to all of us. The lecturers rewards will come now.

Nearly everything else in the govt I'd cut.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    bring out the watercannon on the lot of them - the world is in crisis, this just makes it worse
    *brings out the stock anti-demo chat response*

Yeah, watercannon anyone who demonstrates about stuff that I don't agree with.

F*ck free speech. :roll:
  • W1
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    bring out the watercannon on the lot of them - the world is in crisis, this just makes it worse

Free speech, or a free day of thuggery and mindless vandalism?

By all means protest, but let's not have any bleating when the police do their job against violent criminals.
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:

By all means protest, but let's not have any bleating when the police do their job against violent criminals.

Without going over this again - what is the option? Say, hypothetically, me and 5,000 others want to go protest - and we clear it with the police, arrange a route and a time that's agreed upon - which is what's happened here.

Then when we arrive, 100 people turn up alongside the 5,000, who are there to kick things off.

Then what? Do we prevent the 5,000 protesting?
  • rick_chasey
    Were you ever a student W1?

Do you think all students spend most of their time learning how to be violent and general civil disobedience??
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This topic has mileage...
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    This topic has mileage...

Nah.

I'm about to give up the ghost on this one soon.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:

Without going over this again - what is the option? Say, hypothetically, me and 5,000 others want to go protest - and we clear it with the police, arrange a route and a time that's agreed upon - which is what's happened here.

Then when we arrive, 100 people turn up alongside the 5,000, who are there to kick things off.

Then what? Do we prevent the 5,000 protesting?

Without repeating myself again, don't bleat about police tactics in dealing with trouble makers (including water cannon and rubber bullets). If you choose to attend an event which is more than likely to attract deliberate trouble makers, you cannot be surprised if the police and the general public aren't throwing petals at your feet and bowing down to your every demand.

Peaceful protestors should be discouraging their co-protesters from hi-jacking events in order to behave like thugs. It really isn't hard if the organisers and other protestors have a clear messsage that such behaviour will not be tolerated and is counter-productive.
  • W1
    Were you ever a student W1?

Do you think all students spend most of their time learning how to be violent and general civil disobedience??

Yes.

And no. Have I ever said anything that suggest that is my view? Of course not.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm arranging a sit-in in Parliament Square for next Tuesday to protest against the Puncture Fairy, the present Government's abject failure to remove potentially hazardous and life threatening pieces of razor sharp stuff from the streets of this nation and global big business' general contibution to the unfairness of life.

Who's with me?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    W1 wrote:
    Without repeating myself again, don't bleat about police tactics in dealing with trouble makers (including water cannon and rubber bullets). If you choose to attend an event which is more than likely to attract deliberate trouble makers, you cannot be surprised if the police and the general public aren't throwing petals at your feet and bowing down to your every demand.

Peaceful protestors should be discouraging their co-protesters from hi-jacking events in order to behave like thugs. It really isn't hard if the organisers and other protestors have a clear messsage that such behaviour will not be tolerated and is counter-productive.

So that's pretty much a yes to Rick's question. I have to say that it's pretty naive to suggest that peaceful protesters simply have to issue some sort of statement to make the hooligans stay away. Generally, they (the hooligans) aren't co-protesters; they just want a ruck and don't really care if what they are doing is counterproductive to a cause that is of no interest to them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Was just walking through the City.

Saw 5 police horse vans (more like lorries) on the way west > and generally police were EVERYWHERE.

Near West Brompton, whenever there's a big event like Notting Hill, I see a lot of police, filing in and out.

Saw, no exaggeration, around 40-50 motorbike policemen filing out in a long line, all with their white helmets by their right side this morning.

An FYI..

They're certainly taking it seriously.

Heard JP, who are near where the protests stop, are being told to leave at 12 today.
  • W1
    Was just walking through the City.

Saw 5 police horse vans (more like lorries) on the way west > and generally police were EVERYWHERE.

Near West Brompton, whenever there's a big event like Notting Hill, I see a lot of police, filing in and out.

Saw, no exaggeration, around 40-50 motorbike policemen filing out in a long line, all with their white helmets by their right side this morning.

An FYI..

They're certainly taking it seriously.

Heard JP, who are near where the protests stop, are being told to leave at 12 today.

You can hardly blame them, after what has gone before.

It's rather ironic that a group who is seeking to avoid government cuts is forcing such an exceptional degree of government expenditure on policing their pointless protest, rather than trying to address the underlying reasons for the cuts in the first place (i.e. gross overspending). Same goes for the non-dwellers at St Pauls.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I think my path to wasabi may be blocked, and I really want katsu curry :x

I'm just near St Pauls and can see a few police out the window, I'm sure many more are around the corner :)

Hope it turns out to be peaceful.
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:

So that's pretty much a yes to Rick's question. I have to say that it's pretty naive to suggest that peaceful protesters simply have to issue some sort of statement to make the hooligans stay away. Generally, they (the hooligans) aren't co-protesters; they just want a ruck and don't really care if what they are doing is counterproductive to a cause that is of no interest to them.

It's not naiive - it is the least that should be expected from a properly organised and managed protest. Not all protests manage to decend into violence and thuggery - I wonder why that is?

Whether those who want to legitimately protest are in fact quite content for the hooligans to turn up and add some publicity to the protest - well, who can say....
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:

It's rather ironic that a group who is seeking to avoid government cuts is forcing such an exceptional degree of government expenditure on policing their pointless protest, rather than trying to address the underlying reasons for the cuts in the first place (i.e. gross overspending). Same goes for the non-dwellers at St Pauls.

I wasn't blaming the police, merely noting it.

I'd suggest that the people who take an interest in reducing gov't cuts are probably not the ones kicking off. (as ever).

Doubt they'll mind the JP lot stopping work early mind!
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

I wasn't blaming the police, merely noting it.

I'd suggest that the people who take an interest in reducing gov't cuts are probably not the ones kicking off. (as ever).

Doubt they'll mind the JP lot stopping work early mind!

The tone of your post implies that you are surprised by the level of policing.

Who are JP?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JP Morgan
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:

It's not naiive - it is the least that should be expected from a properly organised and managed protest. Not all protests manage to decend into violence and thuggery - I wonder why that is?

Whether those who want to legitimately protest are in fact quite content for the hooligans to turn up and add some publicity to the protest - well, who can say....

Given the attitude that you've crystallised into regarding protesters, which is not enormously uncommon, I'd suggest it is not the kind of publicity they want, nor they seek.

I think you'd agree that it should be up to the police to protect the democratic rights of those who want to peacefully protest from those who do not, as well as the police themselves.
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:

The tone of your post implies that you are surprised by the level of policing.
    I hadn't heard of the protests 'till I walked into the office.
  • sketchley
    W1 wrote:

Given the attitude that you've crystallised into regarding protesters, which is not enormously uncommon, I'd suggest it is not the kind of publicity they want, nor they seek.

I think you'd agree that it should be up to the police to protect the democratic rights of those who want to peacefully protest from those who do not, as well as the police themselves.

I'd agree with that.

A properly organised protest should include communicating and cooperating with the police to ensure that their democratic right isn't spoilt by those intent on violence. I see no evidence of this happening which could be the fault of either side not talking or not listening. While I do not believe it to be the case, I can see why some people think the protest organisers actually want the violence in order to increase publicity for the cause. What I cannot understand is why the protest organisers do not see this as a problem and ensure they are seen to take steps to ensure the peaceful protest that is their right.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Just found this via / Twitter / Sky News. I'll take back the comments above, looks like the organisers are doing something.

AdzxF6aCAAAU7io.jpg
    --
    Chris

• rick_chasey
    444083241.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    I guess W1 would approve of this banner?

http://www.twitter.com/HeardinLondon/st ... 6692114432

7ce9gz
  • Mad Roadie wrote:
    bring out the watercannon on the lot of them

convert one to fire soap too. that will shift em
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png