SCR Christmas presents

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Just seen this from the 2012 shop and quite liked it. Also a subscription to Rouleur is on mine.

So, what's on your Christmas present list?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Exposure Joystick and Red Eye.
    Case of red wine left over from Mrs A's staff Xmas party
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I like it, but why steel. Should be carbon fibre, surely!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You want to try folding crabon? Good way to get splinters in your anatomy and toxic resin dust in your lungs

I may be exaggerating
  • EKE_38BPM
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You want to try folding crabon? Good way to get splinters in your anatomy and toxic resin dust in your lungs

I may be exaggerating

For the sake of all of the pit crews in F1 and all other motorsports that use carbon disc brakes, I hope you are wrong.

• Wrath Rob
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I may be exaggerating

For the sake of all of the pit crews in F1 and all other motorsports that use carbon disc brakes, I hope you are wrong.
    Different form of crabon. One is carbon fibre in a resin matrix made by laying up sheets of matting and impregnating with the resin. The result is then cured in a auto clave at a relatively low temperature (2-300 C). You could make this in your own home if you really wanted. The other is a rather more complex process:
    The building process of the carbon fibers used for brake discs & calipers is as followed: one takes the regular PAN (white polyacrylo nitrile) fibres and pre-oxidizes them via a heating process. However, this is only the first part of the forming process, as the outcome of this maiden stage is later carbonized. Following the carbonization, the resulted material has to spend days up to weeks into high-temperature ovens (simulating the temperatures during the race, meaning somewhere around 1000 degrees Celsius), while combined with a hydrocarbon-rich gas. This way, the carbon fibre layers inside the oven will merge perfectly in order to create one fine piece of brake disc.

The final stage of the process is cutting the resulted material into the form of a brake disc, depending on the system used by each team in particular. F1 teams might also opt for different manufacturing companies, with Hitco, Brembo and Carbon Industries being on top of the preference list.

More at Wikipedia's Reinforced Carbon-Carbon page. That's your night time reading sorted then...
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just seen this from the 2012 shop and quite liked it. Also a subscription to Rouleur is on mine.

Really? I'm not a fan - I think it's kinda ugly to be honest. I'll not get into the folding carbon debate.

But for Xmas pressies, I think this precision oiler will be a good stocking filler for the boyf
    http://www.presentsformen.co.uk/precisi ... -prod9019/

I'd love a Rapha soft shell jacket but I'm not sure I've been a good enough girl this year for Santa to bring me that.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Would it seem strange that I think that precision oiler is a good idea? :oops:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I like the idea of a Roleur subscription...
  • EKE_38BPM
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Really? I'm not a fan - I think it's kinda ugly to be honest. I'll not get into the folding carbon debate.

But for Xmas pressies, I think this precision oiler will be a good stocking filler for the boyf

I'd love a Rapha soft shell jacket but I'm not sure I've been a good enough girl this year for Santa to bring me that.

Yes, you've been a very naughty girl. Mmmm, naughty girls...

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Yes, you've been a very naughty girl. Mmmm, naughty girls...

Think I'll put a naughty girl on my list :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does Robert Millar write regularly for Roleur? The one I have has an excellent article by him on climbing.
  • - New gloves for the spring/summer.
    - Some form of chain cleaning tool - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5783
    - Oh and a kindle :-)

Just need to think of what to get the Mrs :?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I always have real trouble trying to think of things I actually want..

I've got a couple of bike purchases lined up in my mind, but since they'll be under the FPO's radar I doubt getting them as a Christmas present would work... (fttc 2 sets of road pedals and associated swish shoes for track and road bikes)

ipad 32gb is on the list but that's kinda pricey (it's mainly for the flights we'll be taking in feb to keep us entertained)
    maybe a new pair of dominators might work?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
    - Some form of chain cleaning tool - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5783

I'd like the cleaning tool if it didn't also require me to use it...
    *hangs head in shame at state of chain*
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Got a new Selle Italia gel saddle on my list from Santa.
    The old one is 8+ years old and worn right through.
    Certain parts of my anatomy are really looking forwards to Christmas :):)
  • I want some kettlebells... aaaaand... hmmm... I'll get back to you!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Don't bother with chain cleaning kits. Had the Park one. Tried it, found it was very good at taking the chain off and filling up with grot (yup, even if you get it to work you have to clean that as well). Back in box. Out again some months later, thought 'I'll give it another go, must just have done something wrong'. I had....I'd bought the bloody thing. Stick with the manual method. Much cheaper, much less bother, much more effective (IMHO).

As for my list, here it is:

Yup, absolutely nothing. Though if anyone wins the lottery, Maxima RS2 with Super Record EPS and Tune Schwarzbrenner 25s please ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I want some kettlebells... aaaaand... hmmm... I'll get back to you!
    Had to look them up. Never heard of them before.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Charge Spoon for my MTB (save keep swapping from the commuter - although I'm likely to put the new one on the commuter and the old one on the MTB where it's more likely to get damaged!)
    New digi cam after mine was knicked off my desk at work
    Also hoping to get an HT2 chainset for the MTB as my old school square taper BB is on it's way out and it's an excuse to upgrade!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I want some kettlebells... aaaaand... hmmm... I'll get back to you!

Run downstairs Christmas morning, ooohhhh wowowowowo! A kettlebell... I'll open that later...

Would be a fun item to wrap but need to do it creatively, the shape kind of gives it away :-)
  • Wrath Rob
    Charge Spoon for my MTB (save keep swapping from the commuter - although I'm likely to put the new one on the commuter and the old one on the MTB where it's more likely to get damaged!)
    New digi cam after mine was knicked off my desk at work
    Also hoping to get an HT2 chainset for the MTB as my old school square taper BB is on it's way out and it's an excuse to upgrade!

Simon
    If you're going to be in London any time soon I've got a black Charge Spoon you can have. Just took it off of the commuter as it wasn't doing me much good on longer rides. About 3 years old but going strong.
  • Clever Pun

Run downstairs Christmas morning, ooohhhh wowowowowo! A kettlebell... I'll open that later...

Would be a fun item to wrap but need to do it creatively, the shape kind of gives it away :-)

the first few times you use them, your back muscles wont know what hit them

fairly limited imo but a good kinetic workout

Best two I've found
    squats into upright row
    swings (two and 1 armed)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Best two I've found
    squats into upright row
    swings (two and 1 armed)

Might go for them sometime, but would feel odd to be swinging something and not it being stationary and me swinging...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

I'd like the cleaning tool if it didn't also require me to use it...
    *hangs head in shame at state of chain*

those packet based heavy duty wipes - dettol/flash and the suchlike followed off by rags to dry and finish drying in then re-grease. Simples.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Best two I've found
    squats into upright row
    swings (two and 1 armed)

Might go for them sometime, but would feel odd to be swinging something and not it being stationary and me swinging...

the swinging is all in the hips... 1st tip: Don't let go 2nd: straight back and try not to gig with your new found power thrusting... DuffMan oh yeah
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    i fancy a bike repair manual but can't decide between the Zenn book and the Park one. Anybody help out?
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    sophidog wrote:
    i fancy a bike repair manual but can't decide between the Zenn book and the Park one. Anybody help out?

I've only got the Park. Not come across anything that it doesn't cover yet. It is essentially an advert for Park Tools though (as you'd expect).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • sophidog wrote:

I have the Zenn one but haven't actually ever successfully used it. I tried (to learn how to tune gears) but found it beyond me. Dense, complex text with diagrams rather than photos.

I found the collective wisdom of bike radar more effective for explaining to me in clear language how to do simple stuff (ie changing brake pads) and the bike shop does the rest.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    sophidog wrote:

The haynes manual for bikes is pretty good.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use my Zinn one all the time and find it really useful.

I usually read the necessary section before I start any work and then refer to youtube on the iPad when things start to go squiffy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX