Training for 300 miles in 24 hours

madeinleeds
madeinleeds Posts: 41
Ok, first post on here so be gentle...been around for a while but only reading...

I'm contemplating entering the SCOPE 24 hour London to Paris ride in July 12 and interested to know others views on the step up in current riding and also the training required.

Currently do between 100 to 150 miles a week, which is based on a 20 mile a day commute on a single speed, and then between 30 and 50 miles at the weekend on the road bike (hilly, but no big climbs). All of this is solo riding and pretty much all year round. I like to think I'm in ok shape, 6ft and 75kilo. I'm 38.

If I do enter my plan is to eventually have doubled my weekly mileage, by increasing the weekend ride slowly over the coming months to 100, with an occasional longer one, and throwing in a mid week 50 mile ride by extending the commute home.

Grateful for any comments ?

Cheers

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I think the sort of training you are doing is the right way, obviously it is a good idea to increase the weekend mileage as you get closer to the event, just so you get used to being in the saddle for that amount of time, and get used to the fatigue that 100 miles + will give you. For the extended commutes I would do them pretty hard, more like a tempo ride.

Use the weekend rides to find a eating and drinking strategy that works for you, as obviously for 300 miles, you need to make sure you are eating and drinking enough.
  • Loads of advice on YACF audax forum and the US ultracycling site.

You could try a Audax series from the PBP series next spring, 200K, then 300K then 400K. Check on the Audax UK calendar of events and make sure the event is marked "PBP". You're sure to meet some guys who are serious about long distance riding and preparation for them. Avoid the really hilly ones. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the replies, all helpful. Nutrition something I've never really had to think about before, current rides done on a slice of toast and a bottle of water! Aware though that anything going into the 5 hour + territory requires a bit more thought.

Will be sure to check out the YACF as looks like another useful source of info. Harder bit is to get out and do the extra miles..(and persuade the mrs it makes sense..)