Assos Airjack 851 or perhaps Rapha Softshell?

Comments

• COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    My Pro Team jacket arrived this morning after ordering on Wednesday night. I am very pleased with it, the quality is exactly as you would expect with an item costing this much.

I usually wear a small in their jerseys to get a good tight fit, but ordered up a medium in the jacket and it was a good decision. The fit is definitely race oriented (slim but with decent fitting at the shoulders). I'm off out shortly to see how it performs with the finest Highland November (12C with ominous black clouds and the wind 15Kts gusting to 25Kts) I'll update on my return.

COVEC
  • My jacket arrived yesterday. Now I've seen it in the flesh it does indeed look more like a jacket than jersey. I did go a size up from usual and the fit is perfect, so thanks to those who gave advise on this. Probably not going to be cool enough this weekend to try it yet!
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I love the way people dismiss Rapha for being too expensive whilst promoting Assos as an alternative!

I like both brands personally, Assos in particular for shorts, Rapha for jersey and jackets as I don't want to look like Captain Scarlet or an extra from Dr Who on the bike. :lol:

I love the way they dismiss Shutt whose handmade-in-Britain quality is equal (IMHO) to either-at a fraction of the price.

On the second point, apart from being handmade-in_Britain and of very high quality and tailoring, what also won me over to Shutt is their understated design and colour scheme.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    shane r wrote:
    I love the way people dismiss Rapha for being too expensive whilst promoting Assos as an alternative!

I like both brands personally, Assos in particular for shorts, Rapha for jersey and jackets as I don't want to look like Captain Scarlet or an extra from Dr Who on the bike. :lol:

I love the way they dismiss Shutt whose handmade-in-Britain quality is equal (IMHO) to either-at a fraction of the price.

On the second point, apart from being handmade-in_Britain and of very high quality and tailoring, what also won me over to Shutt is their understated design and colour scheme.

Who is dismissing Shutt? I've barely seen a bad word written about them on this forum, they make decent quality stuff at a good price. I find the styling a bit naff at times personally but I wouldn't dismiss them for it.

Quality wise, I cannot agree there from personal experience. I own a pair of the pro team shorts (previous version). At £60 odd in a sale they are very respectable, but nowhere near the quality of my Assos Uno's. The pad is a cheaper gel version, the lettering on the leg started to come away after one wash and the white bib straps have discoloured badly despite being washed in exacly the same way as my Assos / Rapha gear. So good value, yes, but equal quality? - not even close.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Flanners1 wrote:
    I have a few including the Rapha one and Gore, Campagnolo, Descentem Giordana. Rapha looks nice but for functionality and price Campagnolo Full Textran or Gore for me.

Yeah but.....
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    primalcarl wrote:
    My jacket arrived yesterday. Now I've seen it in the flesh it does indeed look more like a jacket than jersey. I did go a size up from usual and the fit is perfect, so thanks to those who gave advise on this. Probably not going to be cool enough this weekend to try it yet!
    Confused. I got a size up to compare and its too big. Especially under the arms and round the neck and the sleeves are too long. Are you guys wearing them too big? I spoke to a guy at Rapha and they are supposed to be race fit. ie close fitting.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ajb72
    primalcarl wrote:
    My jacket arrived yesterday. Now I've seen it in the flesh it does indeed look more like a jacket than jersey. I did go a size up from usual and the fit is perfect, so thanks to those who gave advise on this. Probably not going to be cool enough this weekend to try it yet!
    Confused. I got a size up to compare and its too big. Especially under the arms and round the neck and the sleeves are too long. Are you guys wearing them too big? I spoke to a guy at Rapha and they are supposed to be race fit. ie close fitting.

Well we're not all identical are we, so advice is always going to be on personal experience. Most people seem to need to go up one size for pro team (the jersey was obscenely tight on me in my regular size!). Sounds like you are the exception that proves the rule.
  • Has anyone got a Rapha rain jacket and if so what's the fit like. I'm a Rapha M.
  • Ribble has 25% off this weekend
  • ajb72
    Has anyone got a Rapha rain jacket and if so what's the fit like. I'm a Rapha M.

standard fit, so a medium for you if that's your comfortable size. They are fitted but not race cut.
  • ajb72 wrote:
    Has anyone got a Rapha rain jacket and if so what's the fit like. I'm a Rapha M.

standard fit, so a medium for you if that's your comfortable size. They are fitted but not race cut.

Cheers!
  • Flanners1 wrote:
    I have a few including the Rapha one and Gore, Campagnolo, Descentem Giordana. Rapha looks nice but for functionality and price Campagnolo Full Textran or Gore for me.

Yeah but.....

Ok, the Assos :D
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Flanners for the amount of dosh you have spent on jackets it would have been cheaper to move to somewhere warmer.
  • sloppyschleckonds
    sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
    edited November 2011
    Eyorerox wrote:
    Flanners for the amount of dosh you have spent on jackets it would have been cheaper to move to somewhere warmer.

:lol::lol::lol:

20% off the Rapha softshell today using 'BACONEGG1'
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • on-yer-bike
    Eyorerox wrote:
    Flanners for the amount of dosh you have spent on jackets it would have been cheaper to move to somewhere warmer.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Does anyone know whether the mentioned Rapha discount codes are still valid today? Thanks
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Comeback15 isn't. I had the proteam jacket and another long sleeve top in my basket last night, but left it to this morning to click on buy, by which time it had expired. Saved me a lot more than 15% in the long run I guess.
  • Boo. I had a Rain Jacket lined up :-(
  • Was on the verge of buying a softshell. I can (just) about swallow Rapha prices at 15/20% off given the amount of cold weather commuting I do. Full price...and I'm looking elsewhere.

Btw, for what it's worth...I have a Assos Airjack 851 jacket. I find it a wee bit chilly in the depths of Scottish Winter...but it is 4 years old, so has maybe lost some of its windchill protection with wear/washing, etc? It fits nicely and still looks good.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • Just noticed Matt Baker on the One Show is wearing a Rapha Softshell jacket for his charity ride
  • primalcarl wrote:
    Just noticed Matt Baker on the One Show is wearing a Rapha Softshell jacket for his charity ride

Bloody poser :wink:
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • primalcarl wrote:
    Just noticed Matt Baker on the One Show is wearing a Rapha Softshell jacket for his charity ride

Cheap advertising for them, I noticed on the first morning he set off he was wearing a Rapha long sleeve jersey.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    primalcarl wrote:

Cheap advertising for them, I noticed on the first morning he set off he was wearing a Rapha long sleeve jersey.

Is it at all possible that he just likes the gear and bought it himself :?:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The girl who kayaked the Amazon - Helen Skelton is it ? I noticed she was wearing an Assos jacket when she did her high wire walk at Battersea Power Station.

So in the Blue Peter Camp - its split exactly 50/50 Assos to Rapha.
  • daviesee wrote:

Is it at all possible that he just likes the gear and bought it himself :?:

Yes
  • What colour did you guys go for? What does the chartreuse colour look like in the flesh?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Got my proteam jacket yesterday due to them giving out another 15% off code last week. I like it. Not quite as wind proof as the softshell or gilet, but it feels very light and well cut. I had only a s/s base layer underneath and that felt right for this morning (9 deg).
  • How are people finding the sizing of the Pro Team now they've had a chance to use it properly?

I ordered a size larger than usual and like the overall fit a bit looser so I can layer underneath if necessary, but find the bottom of the jacket too big and as there's no toggles the wind gets in under. That's the trouble with mail order, not being able to try sizes before you buy. But I'm not sure the medium would have been big enough
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I have the Rapha jacket and really can't fault it, but it is not the warmest softshell there is - that honour goes to my Gore jacket which is simply awesome when the temperature drops. Unfortunately with this freakishly warm winter we are having it is too warm to wear. Mind you, the Rapha is easy to wear and fits very well.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I have the Castelli Espresso Duo jacket and I love it. It is warm enough never to need more than a long sleeve baselayer and bibtights underneath. Quality and finishing is on par with Assos and Rapha. Sizing is Italian (i.e. racing snug), so I'd recommend to go a size larger if you like it more roomy.

This is the jacket: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-espresso-due-windproof-jacket/
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com