In the week off, did anything exciting happen?

2»

Comments

• Oh I bumped in biondino in the lovely Havelok Tavern with the now not so tiny puppy.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I bought a lovely 2.6KW petrol generator to use to power the house that I'm refurbing for sale when I'm there, and then promptly wrecked my back lifting it's 60Kg bulk out of the car so refurbing work reduced to a little light painting for now... :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Has there been downtime?! :lol:

I've been holed up in Trondheim and Tromso (Northern Norway and home of the worlds most Northerly brewery apparently - conveniently visible from my hotel window). It was warmer and wetter than I expected from somewhere hundreds of miles North of the Arctic Circle :lol:
    I can see reasons for this.
    1) Man made climate change leading to warming of the polar regions
    and/or
    2) Beer jacket.

Or 3) The effect of the Gulf Stream (albeit augmented by 2)).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I had an especially large poo last Friday.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The first frost happened here.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    As my favourite internet timewasting site was down, I had no option but to get a job.
    After a year off this comes as something of a shock - not only working, but from an office, where I have to go every day :shock:

On the plus side, they've had two days of me turning up in a suit, driving a car. Tomorrow I'm cycling :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not much really except for finding out the missus was seeing someone else and having to move in with friends. Apart from that, not a lot.

:(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Joelsim wrote:
    Not much really except for finding out the missus was seeing someone else and having to move in with friends. Apart from that, not a lot.

Sh!tter. Sorry to hear that.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Joelsim wrote:

Sh!tter. Sorry to hear that.

Too right, that blows.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    1) Man made climate change leading to warming of the polar regions
    and/or
    2) Beer jacket.

At about £9.00 for a beer, option 2 is a hopeless dream in Norway :lol:

But yes, Gulf Stream it is. I just didn't expect the weather to be exactly the same as it is in Leeds (only warmer.....)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Booked a spur of the moment trip to San Francisco - and hoping for some decent weather so I can hire a bike and go for a jaunt through Golden Gate Park, over the Golden Gate and round the Marin Headlands. One of the website seems to think that at 26 miles, that's a bit too much to attempt in a day. :roll:

Did a ride like this last year when I was over there, called the Paradise Loop. It was about 50 miles in total as I took a few detours along the way. Here's the original:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/ ... sco/408760

I went wrong a few times, and also rode around the extra bit of headland in Strawberry. I can recommend Blazing Saddles on Columbus Avenue if you're looking to hire. They do a range of high-end road bikes as well as the more usual. Warning, though, Americans can't climb hills for toffee - you'll be blasting past them at every opportunity.

http://www.blazingsaddles.com/san-franc ... venue.aspx
  • 2 off's: 1 on road bike in diesel on Maryhill Road, road rash up legs and on left cheek.... ow, ow ow. Then night Mountain Biking at Glentress on Saturday and had a small argument with a tree, resulted in 4 stitches in A&E. However, was brilliant run, and still managed to do Innerliethan on Sunday.

Though decided to take the week off the bike and recover.

Still getting all blue stuff on rhs of the page when I log in.......

Ouch. Had an off last week too, blow-out puncture in the front when travelling at about 25 mph, lost grip, somersaulted over the bars. Few cuts and bruises, but nothing too bad. Tore my new tights, though.

Heal well, Wallace.
  • Did a ride like this last year when I was over there, called the Paradise Loop. It was about 50 miles in total as I took a few detours along the way.

Oooh thanks - and for the Blazing Saddle recommendation. Looks like they have a Specialized Ruby which might be rather nice so long as they have it in titchy sizes - I may want to bring it back with me. Darn it - now I might have to take my shoes out too since would be a waste of a lovely bike to ride it with flats.

Sorry Joelsim for the bad news...
  • Did a ride like this last year when I was over there, called the Paradise Loop. It was about 50 miles in total as I took a few detours along the way.

Oooh thanks - and for the Blazing Saddle recommendation. Looks like they have a Specialized Ruby which might be rather nice so long as they have it in titchy sizes - I may want to bring it back with me. Darn it - now I might have to take my shoes out too since would be a waste of a lovely bike to ride it with flats.

Sorry Joelsim for the bad news...

Yeah, I hired a Kestrel Talon, very nice to ride but bastard ugly to look at. Shame it had pretty poor tyres on it or I could have fallen for it. They did have a wide variety of pedals that they would fit to the bikes for you, to match your shoes. Very slick outfit - the bike was superbly maintained and came with two bottle cages, a toolkit and a couple of CO2 cartridges.
  • I took Undercover Elephant's advice and went to Blazing Saddles. They had a perfectly sized Specialized Ruby for me and we had a perfect day crossing the bridge a few times, wandering up the Marin Headlands and then playing around in Golden Gate Park. Lots of hills - and yes, you're right - even I could blast past a few bods.

The roads in the Headlands had all recently been resurfaced and coming down from the peak where I took the attached pic was a blast - one way road (the way we were going!), no traffic and a perfect surface. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! I did find myself singing 'Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby' while flying down various hills.

The only downside about the day is that now I want a Ruby for home...

• Always good when a recommendation works out, glad you had a good time. Love the pic, great view.

N+1, you say? :twisted: