In the week off, did anything exciting happen?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
I had two things of notes (as far as commuting was concerned)

On 31st October I came out to my bike to go home to find the front tyre flat. Arse. I'd lent my only spare to my mate. Bigger Arse. Fortunately he hadn't left yet so I nabbed it back. Yay.
Changed tube and set off on the 12 mile commute home and the spare blew 6 miles in. Right at the start of the main unlit stretch.
So I had a lovely 6 mile walk home, in the pitch black, down unlit country lanes, on Halloween. You couldn't make this stuff up. Still, I kept to the paths and no walking across fields, so no attacks by strange howling creatures :mrgreen:
I walked WITH the traffic and kept my lights on, so I could see what was coming and people could see me... all worked out very well and it was a very pleasant warm evening, so I actually enjoyed myself! 8)

Second thing - last Friday. Who got caught in that epic rain fall on Friday? I did. I checked the weather reports loads of times and it said Fog in the morning and scattered heavy showers in the afternoon. So, what the heck - it looked like that 'mizzle' stuff you get in the morning, I didn't think it would be so bad....

Gods, did I ever get that wrong. I HEARD the rain before I saw it, and when I saw it - it was like a wall of water. I went from damp to utterly, utterly drenched in seconds.

Still, I was warm and the wind was non-existent, so I just got on with it. I think I may have got a little carried away by the end as I was aiming at the deeper puddles and smiling at the drivers who all seemed to think I was a loon, the way I was carrying on :D

(Oh, and my clothes were so wet I had to mop out the wardrobe they were in 3 times....)

and after all that I took the long route home, via the canal / river path and got CAKED in mud :D:D
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• I had one evening of two punctures, a soaking, almost left hooked by old bint in Fulham with her wing mirrors folded in and then a dog fiddler try and run me over after I asked him nicely to use his indicators (see other thread). That is all.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    In the week off, did anything exciting happen?

nah
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Apparently not :)
  • Got the first puncture on the new set of tyres (1850 miles in) which is good but they could have chosen a dryer night to do it. Re4paired it using a CO2 cannister which I've never done but managed successfuly. Also managed to snatch another spot on the silly commuter stats table jumping up one from Sketchley (although its not a competition is it).
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I went to go out on Sunday and found my rear tyre was flat as a pancake. That was exciting (it was my first since I started cycling again).
  • my front wheel bearings have gone & it was blooming cold on Sunday morning.

so no, nothing exciting
  • Booked a spur of the moment trip to San Francisco - and hoping for some decent weather so I can hire a bike and go for a jaunt through Golden Gate Park, over the Golden Gate and round the Marin Headlands. One of the website seems to think that at 26 miles, that's a bit too much to attempt in a day. :roll:
  • Booked a spur of the moment trip to San Francisco - and hoping for some decent weather so I can hire a bike and go for a jaunt through Golden Gate Park, over the Golden Gate and round the Marin Headlands. One of the website seems to think that at 26 miles, that's a bit too much to attempt in a day. :roll:
    Its a lovely ride but be warned...even on a sunny day the wind on the bridge is biting and gusty.... at least it always has been the three times I've crossed it (once on an open topped bus, once on a bike and once on foot)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Booked a spur of the moment trip to San Francisco - and hoping for some decent weather so I can hire a bike and go for a jaunt through Golden Gate Park, over the Golden Gate and round the Marin Headlands. One of the website seems to think that at 26 miles, that's a bit too much to attempt in a day. :roll:
    That sounds good.
  • While we were all locked out of the forum, Prawny managed to get in all on his ownsome, and even managed to post to himself (though that post didn't make the crossover). I thought that maybe he got trapped inside. Has anybody heard from him recently?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    on the subject of the down time, that my internet buddies was what they term a Right Royal Fuck-up
    FCN = 4
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    While we were all locked out of the forum, Prawny managed to get in all on his ownsome, and even managed to post to himself (though that post didn't make the crossover). I thought that maybe he got trapped inside. Has anybody heard from him recently?

I think he's been deleted - or possibly upgraded to Prawny v2.0
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    on the subject of the down time, that my internet buddies was what they term a Right Royal Fuck-up
    Nice to see that the swear filter survived intact
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I became an uncle for the first time. Baby girl who's doing very well. Unfortunately her mother came down with mastitis and had to spend 5 days in hospital. Everyone's home now so looking forwards to meeting her for the first time.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I actually got quite a bit of work done :|
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They showed the Nirvana paramount gig on BBC4.

Only Nirvana gig that has been filmed properly (in16mm too).

That was exciting.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    2 off's: 1 on road bike in diesel on Maryhill Road, road rash up legs and on left cheek.... ow, ow ow. Then night Mountain Biking at Glentress on Saturday and had a small argument with a tree, resulted in 4 stitches in A&E. However, was brilliant run, and still managed to do Innerliethan on Sunday.

Though decided to take the week off the bike and recover.

Still getting all blue stuff on rhs of the page when I log in.......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • While we were all locked out of the forum, Prawny managed to get in all on his ownsome, and even managed to post to himself (though that post didn't make the crossover). I thought that maybe he got trapped inside. Has anybody heard from him recently?

He's now Langoustine
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    In a week without the forum I didn't spend a single penny on anything bike related.......just saying :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Ooh nice! Enjoy.

If you want to trim your journey a bit you can put your bikes on the ferry back from Sausalito to SF, which might save you a few miles depending on your route.
  • Got smacked by a driver overtaking too close at about a 10 mph speed difference. Ripped my tights on her wing then smashed the wing mirror off with my elbow, just about managed to hold it upright but it was close. She drove off. Caught her at the lights, she accused me of lying and she didn't touch me, then admitted she may have clipped me but didn't want to stop as she was running late for work and there was nothing I could prove as there were no witnesses. Got police and ambulance, fortunately I checked out ok apart from some bruising. Doubt I'm going to hear anything from the police as they really didn't seem to bother taking my statement or giving me a reference number and were busy talking to her for the half hour I was in the back of the ambulance so she could get her excuses in. Waiting for the 14 days to see if I hear anything from the RTA bureau but will be claiming through LCC solicitors for new tights.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

He's now Langoustine

:D It's amazing how quickly they grow up, isn't it?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm still alive, it was scary though. Glad were all plugged back into the matrix properly now.

Shame my posts didn't carry over, I'm sure I posted some very useful advice/prophecies cant remember them now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Got a job.
    Had disagreement with the boss.
    Lost a job.

Now looking for a job!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I had a double puncture. Second one arguably my fault - the tyre mustn't have been seated properly and blew off with a hell of a crack just as I was about to get back on. As I pushed the tyre back on it tore an inch long hole in the inner-tube. Had to get the daughter to come and rescue me. I now have marathon pluses instead of marathons and carry two spare inners instead of one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Got a job.
    Lost a job.

Now looking for a job!

Explanation please.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    In the week off I got a new phone, started signing on (had to get the new phone because of signing on, PAYG as I'm no longer rich enough for a contract) and missed the M5 crash by 30 minutes as I decided to leave home for Bristol early to avoid the Bristol traffic. Glad I did now.

Oh and passed my military map reading course so now I can get lost on Dartmoor safely :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Got a job.
    Lost a job.

Now looking for a job!

Explanation please.
    I applied for an online/internetty type job. It seemed I didn't get that but my details were passed onto their physical shop. I had a chat with the store manager and office hours were agreed upon. A few weeks later he wanted me to do shift hours, work every saturday (but with a day off during the week) and at least every other sunday.
    I told him this isn't what we agreed and (after talking to his boss) he said he'd have to let me go immediately even though he was happy with my work.
    The store manager's wife is about to have a nipper and he'll be on paternity leave soon so I was willing to come to a compromise to allow him to have a stress-free (ha ha) paternity leave and look for a job starting when he returns to work but it was a no go.

I've now seen the job advertised as "IMMEDIATE START!!" Sack in haste, repent at leisure, eh?

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Has there been downtime?! :lol:

I've been holed up in Trondheim and Tromso (Northern Norway and home of the worlds most Northerly brewery apparently - conveniently visible from my hotel window). It was warmer and wetter than I expected from somewhere hundreds of miles North of the Arctic Circle :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rolf F wrote:
    Has there been downtime?! :lol:

I've been holed up in Trondheim and Tromso (Northern Norway and home of the worlds most Northerly brewery apparently - conveniently visible from my hotel window). It was warmer and wetter than I expected from somewhere hundreds of miles North of the Arctic Circle :lol:
    I can see reasons for this.
    1) Man made climate change leading to warming of the polar regions
    and/or
    2) Beer jacket.