Weight loss for the festive period

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited November 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all,

Okay, so i am 6'2" & currently am 99 kgs. I have been away on business for a year & put 14 kgs on !! I know, i know. Is it possible for me to lose 14 kgs by dec 23rd? without killing myself ? I can now commute every day beteween then & now on the bike, shortest is 10 miles each way. My question is do i try i get up even earlier (i get up at 5.30am now) and do longer less intense, or stick with the 10 each way & cane it? Soon i will be on the fixed gear, but i have been doing fixed in winter now for about 7 yrs so i can cane it on that no problem.

Any dietry advice would also be welcome, but i generally know my stuff there as i used to be a semi- pro footballer, quick weight loss advice i guess i'm after, although slow is always best i know. Just trying to shave a lot off before the onslaught of santa.

Many thanks in advance :D
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• Almost 4 pounds a week?

Yes, it's possible. No, it's not likely you can do it without picking up a tapeworm or some sort of virus.

Half that amount in probably more realistic. And even that will take a lot of hard work and effort to do week after week.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    IMO. Stick to the 10miles each way (30-40mins?) and do longer rides at the weekend. Avoid Long & Slow - go with Short & Hard, or Long & Quite Hard.
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    IMO. Stick to the 10miles each way (30-40mins?) and do longer rides at the weekend. Avoid Long & Slow - go with Short & Hard, or Long & Quite Hard.

from a few bits i have read it seems best to ride at 68-79% for your max heart rate. BUt was other have said i think its unlikely you would loose that much weight and if you did chances are you would get sick, just ride more, eat the write stuff and correct amount and see how it goes
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    RichA wrote:

I lost 5kg (11lb) in 2 1/2 months without really trying that hard and I did that with a mix of hard longer rides and shorter threshold efforts. Done very little else due to a very disrupted season due to injury so concentrated in just trying to keep the miles up for the sportives and trying to get my power back to where it finished last year. Got there in the end. Obviously I watched what I ate a little closer but I didn't get too hung up on that either. I would tend to just eat a little less than I would have before, especially the sweets where I would only eat half the normal portion - all the taste without all of the calories.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Low-to-zero carb diet and a course of ECA will drop the pounds quicker than you can click your fingers - speaking from experience with weightlifting. However, cardio with no carbs is slightly less fun than taking hedge clippers to your manhood.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I don't know what is wrong with you lot (and my girlfriend too :D) but when we both decided to lost some weight we have just revised what we've been eating at that time. Too much rubbish everyday! and this applies probably to almost everyone. You may think that I'm joking or whatever, but I've lost about 8kg in two-three weeks (didn't really noticed how long it exactly took) by just eating less/better and doing proper hard training rides. For example, my girlfriend was eating the same food as me but in much smaller amounts and she couldn't drop much, but to be honest she also didn't have much unnecessary kgs :D and she didn't do any exercise, so that's the reason too

However, at the beginning when I came from 86kg to 78kg I felt sick, because there wasn't enough time to adapt my organsim to new "diet". Therefore, had to go back again to 80kg and only then a bit slower down to 76-78kg - where I'm now(depending on the day and I don't weight myself everyday, so it varies slightly.

Note, I haven't been overweight at any time, I'm 190cm tall so now I consider myself as pretty slim :P

I think it's should be much easier for overweight people to lose weight if they just dedicate themselves in 100% to that attempt :) so good luck :)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Low-to-zero carb diet and a course of ECA will drop the pounds quicker than you can click your fingers - speaking from experience with weightlifting. However, cardio with no carbs is slightly less fun than taking hedge clippers to your manhood.

This is THE best way to lose weight FAST. I dropped 6 stone in 3 months using this approach. But riding day after day on a no-carb diet is a pretty tough thing to do.

I've said it before - you can lose weight FAST, but you can't do meaningful training that way. But - if all you want to do is lose weight and have the willpower - use this approach.

Just be careful when you reintroduce carbs back into your diet or you'll gain back the weight quickly if you don't keep exercising.

Note to readers - the post was about losing weight FAST. Not about doing it the smart or healthy way. 8)
  • From what I've read, 1kg of fat equates to about 7,500 calories. So that means yo gotta lose/burn/reduce 105000 calories in 54 days or 1944 calories.

You won't be able to burn that amount on your short spins even if you set a land speed record on the bike, so that means you'll have to fairly well starve yourself, in which case you won't have the energy for that record attempt each morning.

If you starve too much, then the body starts breaking down muscle and mining bone for the missing ingredients, so you end up weaker. I think I remember reading something like 200 to 500 calories a day negative on requirement is all you could do before the body looks to muscle for a food source.

When you start eating less you will reduce what's in the system at anyone time so will see an initial larger gain in the first week or two.
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    B3rnieMac wrote:

ECA ephedrine coffiene aspirin? - In which case the E part should no longer be legally available and is a no no if you want to stay free of doping allegations. - Tho' you could always just exist on stack loads of coffee....
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Pokerface wrote:
    B3rnieMac wrote:

This is THE best way to lose weight FAST. I dropped 6 stone in 3 months using this approach. But riding day after day on a no-carb diet is a pretty tough thing to do.

I've said it before - you can lose weight FAST, but you can't do meaningful training that way. But - if all you want to do is lose weight and have the willpower - use this approach.

Just be careful when you reintroduce carbs back into your diet or you'll gain back the weight quickly if you don't keep exercising.

Note to readers - the post was about losing weight FAST. Not about doing it the smart or healthy way. 8)

I'm doing a similar thnig at the moment, its a no diary, no carbs (in the form of bread,pasta,rice ,potatoes) diet.

I've lost over half a stone in 2 weeks and during this time I've done plenty of riding and training. You can get plenty of carbs from the unlimited vegetables - its just making sure you don't get them from the list above.

I'm aiming for another week off on the diet and then CAREFUL reintroduction for the carbs above - as you have mentioned.
  • B3rnieMac wrote:

ECA ephedrine coffiene aspirin? - In which case the E part should no longer be legally available and is a no no if you want to stay free of doping allegations. - Tho' you could always just exist on stack loads of coffee....

Well the OP didn't say anything about competing so wouldn't have to worry about doping allegations. and ECA is freely available on multiple websites and can be delivered to the UK with no fuss, speaking from years of experience here. And ephedrine isn't illegal to own and isnt under any controlled drug regulations.
  • B3rnieMac wrote:
    B3rnieMac wrote:

Well the OP didn't say anything about competing so wouldn't have to worry about doping allegations. and ECA is freely available on multiple websites and can be delivered to the UK with no fuss, speaking from years of experience here. And ephedrine isn't illegal to own and isnt under any controlled drug regulations.

Here in Sweden its illegal to sell it and its on WADAs list of prohibited substances, so I'd run the chance of both being caught and punished for buying prescription only stuff and being caught doping if I used it and was subjected to a doping test. I imagine its the same for most European countries.
  • shedhead
    Hi all,

thanks for all your replies, i am currently going with the low carb, short cane it route option. I am doing ok thus far, i've dropped 2 kgs in 8 days so i'll stick at it. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced ECA stack as well please?

Thanks again
    :D
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • if you go to http://www.centurysupplements.com or http://www.astronutrition.com they both do complete, all in one stacks, or individual E & C to make your own. I'm a fan of thermalean :-)
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    shedhead wrote:
    Hi all,

thanks for all your replies, i am currently going with the low carb, short cane it route option. I am doing ok thus far, i've dropped 2 kgs in 8 days so i'll stick at it. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced ECA stack as well please?

Thanks again
    :D
    Remember not to make the common mistake of losing too much too early then giving it up and eating in force when the novelty wears off or progress stalls. Not that I am saying that this will happen with you personally but it usually does.

Be aware that ephedrine can cause insomnia at least as bad as caffeine - believe me I know about it so do not consume within 12h of planning to sleep to start off with. Just start moderately and build up gently, as others have said this is banned in competition which I'm sure you are aware of not that it matters if you do not compete anyway.

Even with stimulants weight loss will only happen if you are burning more than you are consuming so learn to eat less which you seem to be doing, and as a sane limit I personally would not consume ephedrine or caffeine more than 3 days a week over a period of time. Just because many people drink coffee every day does not mean that it is a wise thing to do. I rarely use stimulants anymore because I do not feel they are necessary for me even during weight loss periods.

Murr X
  • If you're going the eph and caff route, doing it during weekdays and stopping at the weekend it a good idea. Or 4 days on, 4 days off, something like that. Your body adapts quite quickly and if you just take them constantly without a break you might as well be taking two pound coins with some water instead of the tablets, it'll do you as much good as a stimulant and lose you money the same way...
  • shedhead
    Thanks again for your replies, they're very interesting. I did a quick 16 miles before work this morning & have been on almost zero carbs for 9 days now & i felt a little bit drained on the ride. My question is, if i want to start taking a few carbs on board to help with the energy, what is considered the correct amount ? given what i'm trying to acheive. I have been taking eca every day up to now, but in light of suggestions above, i will knock them on the head at the weekend. They are certainly supressing my appetite though & have not experienced any insomnia yet. If you see any posts from me at 3.00am, that has obviously changed !
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    This sounds like a rediculous way to live. If you are exercising why are you eating no carbs? Make sure you eat plenty of carbs like vege's, fruit, legumes etc. Perhaps just avoid the shite stuff like pasta, rice, bread and cereals.
  • shedhead
    Dru wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    B3rnieMac wrote:

I'm doing a similar thnig at the moment, its a no diary, no carbs (in the form of bread,pasta,rice ,potatoes) diet.

I've lost over half a stone in 2 weeks and during this time I've done plenty of riding and training. You can get plenty of carbs from the unlimited vegetables - its just making sure you don't get them from the list above.

I'm aiming for another week off on the diet and then CAREFUL reintroduction for the carbs above - as you have mentioned.

Styxd, it's a quick-fix thing for me to shift some of my year working away aberrations. I obviously don't intend doing this long term as it's not possible to train properly or healthily.
    Cheers
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    But if you aren't eating any carbs, then surely your riding/exercise wont be to its full potential?

I'd have thought you'd get more out of eating carbs (vegetables, fruit and legumes) and being able to ride at your full potential?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    styxd wrote:
    But if you aren't eating any carbs, then surely your riding/exercise wont be to its full potential?

I'd have thought you'd get more out of eating carbs (vegetables, fruit and legumes) and being able to ride at your full potential?

You'll lose more weight without the carbs. Your riding will suffer. Just depends on what your aim is. His is to lose weight fast.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    3 weeks in and with the carbs through vegetables route I've lost 10 lbs.

Riding regulalry (3/4 times per week) mixture of long and slow on the club ride and mixing it up with intervals and stuff on the track (3 sessions in the last week)

Will do it for one more week and then I start a structured winter training plan which will involve going back to the regular diet.
  • shedhead
    Hey Dru ! chapeau ! keep up the good work.
    Thanks for all replies, i'm still "at it" & it's going ok. the weather is helping at the moment as i haven't had to swap to the fixie yet