New to Turbo Trainer - madness!!!!

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
Bought a TT the other day and used it for the first time today - completely and utterly surprised/knackered/wondering.

Only managed 45 minutes due to riding like a fat lad to cake shop offering free cakes but was really surprised at how easy it was to go nuts and pedal like mad - think I need to reign it in a bit. Considering my normal rides last 2-3 hours I was spent after 45 minutes and had to wash the floor due to the sweat.

Hooked though and if the winter is as bad as last year I know my fitness and form will be better come the spring.

Gerrin!!

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    yes
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Same, first "ride" today! Just did some simple standing up and sitting a la a spinning class - need to have a look at NapD's thread to get some good ideas!

Very surprised how quick the tyre has worn though! :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Totally agree, my planned "recovery ride" this evening ended with me destroying myself in 35 minutes, no self control whatsoever. Re. tyre wear I'm looking at buying a trianer tyre after seeing the shredded rubber debris all over the floor; anyone have any recommendations? The Vittoria ones seem to be cheap but not sure if they're any good.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    I've made do with my turbo for the last three winters I've been in this flat. Live on the top floor, so I'm always a bit worried about pushing it TOO much in case downstairs complains, and the only place I have to do it is in the hall outside our bathroom, so maybe a metre wide. The noise of the thing just amplifies and bounces back at you, big headphones are a must.

Also because of the small confines, the sweat really does beat off me. When it gets properly wintery, when I get off after a session, the amount of steam coming off me looks like I've been set alight.

This year I've been taking a dose of Rule V and taking it outside. Hairs on your chest and all that.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    ddraver wrote:
    Same, first "ride" today! Just did some simple standing up and sitting a la a spinning class - need to have a look at NapD's thread to get some good ideas!

Very surprised how quick the tyre has worn though! :shock:

Even normal road tyres should last a long time - like a whole winter of use IME.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Conti Trainer tyre and Sufferfest ... sorted time/pain fly by. Angels, Hunted, and Fight Club are top choices. Downward Spiral has a honkin US indie rock soundtrack. :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach