Knee Hurts (a bit)

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
A tiny bit of discomfort on the left knee. It seems to be over the outside of the knee cap,(over the surface of the knee cap) not within. It doesn't really effect training and it seems to subside when powering or climbing hills by getting out of the saddle and provoked by going hard in the saddle.

Any thoughts?
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Go see a good sports therapist and get a bikefit done.
  • Has it just started?

Does it hurt off the bike?

Have you knocked it recently?

Have you got footbeds in?

Have you tweaked your position?

Have you ridden your mountain bike in hiking boots. That what I did and I got knee pain just where you described. I found resting it for a bit did the trick.
  • Go see a good sports therapist and get a bikefit done.

I've had the bike (and me) Retulled.

It is a road bike and the discomfort has only just started after 1500 miles.

There are no footbeds.

It has not been knocked recently.

There is slight discomfort when not on the bike.
  • You could try some foot beds, i found the blue specialized ones worked for me. Another thing that might help is a foam roller (Amazon sell em) as your IT band could be causing discomfort. They hurt but they do work in loosening up the band and can help your knee pain. These are just suggestions that helped me, I'm no expert.

Good luck
  • You could try some foot beds, i found the blue specialized ones worked for me. Another thing that might help is a foam roller (Amazon sell em) as your IT band could be causing discomfort. They hurt but they do work in loosening up the band and can help your knee pain. These are just suggestions that helped me, I'm no expert.

Good luck

Thank you. But what do you do with a foam roller?
  • Waterford, one more point.

As I have got lighter and stronger, I am now climbing hills in the saddle much more, rather than out of the saddle. I think this is a major contributor.

Thank you.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

This is what a foam roller can do for you. I don't look as comfortable as this guy when I do it as the tears are usually running down my very red face.

It might be your position behind the BB as your sitting down more you're putting more leverage down but as you've had a pro fit then it's unlikely to be this.

I'm not sure what else it could be. You could try talking to the pro bike fitter or the doc for advice, might just be a bit of housemaids knee.
  • Hi

I used to have knee issues, mucked about with angle of my clips and finally changed to Frog pedals which have limitless flloat, never had a knee problem since.
  • Rode today. Employed higher cadence. Each time I settled into a gear, I changed down. On tough hills, I got out of the saddle (like I had before).

Best ride ever.

No discomfort. Better cycling.

I had been told by other club members I ride with, but it never really clicked. Higher cadence was necessary.

As usual, I never read the brief. Too long in advertising.

edit: rained all the time though.