OT: Small children and sleep

13»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    rhext wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    [There are plenty of normal things that don't require a doctor - teething, wind, colic - but will still legitimately keep a littl'un awake. A zero-tolerance approach won't help in these situations.

I heard there was no such thing as colic.... it's just something a mid wife can tell sleep deprived parents instead of saying you've got a bad 'un there.

The only people who would take that line are those who have never experienced it....

You don't know whether to break down in tears yourself or throw them out of the window. Not likely to be colic at 20 months though.

Been down that road,

Literally

The only thing that got Little Miss TWH to sleep was putting her in the car seat and driving for miles.

Still don't know why we kept her.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,374
    rjsterry wrote:
    [There are plenty of normal things that don't require a doctor - teething, wind, colic - but will still legitimately keep a littl'un awake. A zero-tolerance approach won't help in these situations.

I heard there was no such thing as colic.... it's just something a mid wife can tell sleep deprived parents instead of saying you've got a bad 'un there.

The thing with midwives is that you are never sure whether they are referring to scientifically tested current medical thinking or old wives tales. Then there's the difference between old skool and nu skool.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Go through the pain now of controlled crying. The advice I now give is not to put them to bed when they are actually asleep (people insist on rocking babies to sleep), but instead get them used to going down with their eyes open (albeit verging on nodding of), and never give in to the sleeping on your lap or in your bed.

In short you have to go through the pain, and every day you put it off the harder it becomes. You are not helping them by not letting them cry.