Headaches

kev77
kev77 Posts: 433
Can somebody please tell me what is going on?

14 mile into a stretch of the legs this afternoon i had to abort and head home, the most severe headache came on, bordering migrain it has happened once or twice before but very rare. It comes on like a freight train with no warning, i tried to persevere with it but if i let off the power or put my foot down it got worse.

I have got home couple of pills 30 minutes later no headache, i have searched it online but cannot pinpoint it too cycling, there appears to be a multitude of reason's what is happening but i can put my finger on it.

I was hydrated i ate an hour before i went out ( nothing major )

Any idea's?

Cheers Kev

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Could be your helmet. I get horrible headaches whenever I put on a daft UV mask at work - it's down to where it exerts pressure on my head.
    More problems but still living....
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I get something similar, for me I've worked out it's sinus related as I also tend to get very bad exercise induced rhinitus. I've been using Sterimar nasal spray for a while and it has helped, and if it's even vaguely chilly out I wear something to cover my forehead just to try and avoid wind chill to the frontal sinuses.

Also, I carry a tube of ibuprofen gel with me on rides, if I do feel a headache coming on, it gets slapped all around the forehead area which does at least help to numb the pain slightly...
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I know that when its very windy and cold I basically get a headache form being too cold. My hat that goes under the helmet for winter sorts this out. Nott sure the temp in old blighty today but genrally find it needs to be below 10 degress before I get this
  • kev77
    cheers for the reply's

thinking about it tonight it was a tad chilly here in warrington around late afternoon, i had my jacket on and got super hot then removed it and i am thinking the chill gave me a headache, maybe wrong but hey ho!

TBH i do not think it was the helmet as i have been wearing this now for over 12 months and god knows how many miles!

cheers kev
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If I were you and this suddenly occurred and I'd ruled out the obvious stuff (helmet fit, sinus pain etc) I would see a doctor - there is just a tiny chance it is something serious. I also get terrible sinus pain from cold on a bike but no way would it send me home in the middle of a ride!
    Good luck!
  • kev77
    Right just been out again for a quick 30 mile,

10 mile into the ride again feeling the ache coming on, i let up for a while and controlled my breathing, hey presto nead ache goes.

I think i may go see the doc ( bearing in mind i am only 34 ) just lately as i am pushing myself i am gaining a decent level of fitness the more i push my heart earlier in the ride it is giving me the pain

I am tracking my BPM with a garmin, i may print the detail off to take with me, BTW blood pressure is fine

If i push later into the ride no pains

Strange eh