Please recommend a cheap HRM for TCTP.

Hi
I am currently reading and planning on undertaking 'The Time Crunched Cyclist' training plan.
I am, however, a firm believer in spending my time and effort on the bike and not over complicating or analysing data.
Consequently I do not intend buying a power meter but would splash a few quid on a basis heart rate monitor, I do own a decent older HRM but simply need "average heart rate" readings for a particular session.
Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable tool.
BTW I'm tight and happy to admit that!!!

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Garmin 500 or Polar CS6??x. Neither is uber cheap but considerably cheaper than a power meter. They will be good choices because they allow you connect them to a computer so that you can download your workouts and perhaps more importantly for a prescriptive training plan such the one to be followed you can set the training plans up on the device and that will help you stick to the plan much better.

Have to say though it seems a rather odd time to be contemplating this plan as it's all about targeting and event ~12 weeks out. Have you an event in mind?
  • Thanks for your comments.
    With regard to an event in mind....
    Not specifically, just the motorvation not to embark on the Stella n cakes plan and promise myself a ride tomorrow!
    I bought a turbo for last Christmas and used it in a relatively structured way through to mid march,
    It may be a week or two before I commence the plan as I had stitches in my knee cap yesterday, as well as other parts of my leg, so can't be jumping on the bike just yet!!
  • doyler78
    It's a very intensive plan which will leave you wrecked at the end. It's not a plan to just get fitter on - it's too specific and too loaded for that. I would find a more general plan myself. One that will leave you able to carry on working at the end of it and not completely done in.

Good luck with the recovery.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Basic Polar watch like FT1 should serve you well.

Don't bother with the flash models - too many bells and whistles.
  • The Polar FT1 can be had on eBay for approx £30.
    I also noticed some for less than a tenner! Are they Christmas cracker junk or just as good but without the branded name?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Getting a bit daunted by the comments re TCTP being too intense.
    Anyone used it and feel it's a good way to spend your winter training time?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If you don't want any bells and whistles, and don't need to download the data, get one from Tesco's for a tenner. I used one when I first started, gives you average readings, as well as max etc.

I would only start looking for more expensive ones if you want the extra functionality of downloading etc.

With regards to the TCTP, are you time crunched?. if not just do your own stuff, though if you have the book, you can follow it. As to it being too intense, each person will be different, as your fitness might be very good, it might not be that hard for you. Only you can know by trying it :wink:
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    The Sigma Onyx ones are quite cheap and very reliable.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... s/SIGMHRMA
  • doyler78
    SBezza wrote:
    If you don't want any bells and whistles, and don't need to download the data, get one from Tesco's for a tenner. I used one when I first started, gives you average readings, as well as max etc.

I would only start looking for more expensive ones if you want the extra functionality of downloading etc.

With regards to the TCTP, are you time crunched?. if not just do your own stuff, though if you have the book, you can follow it. As to it being too intense, each person will be different, as your fitness might be very good, it might not be that hard for you. Only you can know by trying it :wink:

Max is useless for heart rate training and he already has average so either he wants to trade up or he should stick with his current unit :lol: As regards the training plan I'd suggest if it isn't that hard for him he isn't doing the sessions right :wink:
  • SBezza
    doyler78 wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

Max is useless for heart rate training and he already has average so either he wants to trade up or he should stick with his current unit :lol: As regards the training plan I'd suggest if it isn't that hard for him he isn't doing the sessions right :wink:

I know Max is pointless, I was just saying it has this sort of information, then again I think ave is almost useless on intervals, unless they are at least 20 mins, and even then ave is not a good indicator of effort, HR just rises too slowly.

I am guessing his current one doesn't show ave, hence his asking for one that does show ave. To the OP is your current one shows ave HR, then just use this.

As I have never seen the TCTP I have no idea of the sessions, but for some people, 4/5 hours of training a week wouldn't neccesarily be that hard, each session might be hard, but the overall load might not be that great. I could do 4 hours a week for 12 weeks, and come out of it alot less fit :wink: no matter how hard each individual session is.
  • doyler78
    Ahh misread that first post. I though he said all it has was average rate not that was all he was looking for so I would agree a cheaper model would do the job well :oops:

The programme is actually built around 8 hours a week and the sessions are based around high intensity workouts with only minimal recovery. It's the intensity and volume of them that makes the plan so hard. Been there and tried it. Done 6 weeks and at that point I decided that as I didn't have the big event at the end of it that continuing to flog it wasn't go to be worth the payback (recovery weeks).

I have however taken a good few of the sessions and worked them into my own training now as they keep things interesting.
  • SBezza
    doyler78 wrote:
    The programme is actually built around 8 hours a week and the sessions are based around high intensity workouts with only minimal recovery. It's the intensity and volume of them that makes the plan so hard.

I wouldn't call 8 hours that time crunched, amazing how they can market something to those that don't need it :lol:

Yes 8 Hours of High Intensity would be just a tad knackering, definitely not one to do without a goal to attain at the end.
  • doyler78
    SBezza wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:
    The programme is actually built around 8 hours a week and the sessions are based around high intensity workouts with only minimal recovery. It's the intensity and volume of them that makes the plan so hard.

I wouldn't call 8 hours that time crunched, amazing how they can market something to those that don't need it :lol:

Yes 8 Hours of High Intensity would be just a tad knackering, definitely not one to do without a goal to attain at the end.

Yeah totally agree with that. I was surprised at 8 hours myself when I bought it but I guess when you work with pros, as Carmichael does, who are doing 2-3 times that volume then I suppose your perspective becomes a little clouded :lol: