The Snip!!

Bozman
Bozman Posts: 2,518
Does anybody know how long i'll be off the saddle?
I need to cycle a few times a week to keep the strength up in my knee so i'm slightly concerned about the length of time this opp will leave me off the bike.
I've got a turbo but...... for some reason that fails to keep the strength up in my knee, so it's out on the roads or nothing.

Comments

• I had the snip a few years ago and was back on the bike 2 weeks later. The most important thing is to follow the docs advice and you will be amazed at how quick you recover. Ignore the advice and you could be off the bike for a long time!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I rode my bike 25 miles to the doctors office and back that day. When I got home I went for a 10 mile run.

:wink::wink:
  • Rory75
    Rory75 Posts: 60
    Had the snip 5 weeks ago. Doc said stay off mtb for 3 weeks. Gave it 2 weeks and went out on road bike for 20miles then 30miles a few days later. Slight ache, but no problems with infection. After 3 weeks back to regular road riding and throwing the mtb around my local trails without no problems.

Best to stick loosly to the doctors advice.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Best not to have it done and make her take some pills :twisted:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My wife seemed genuinely disappointed by how little discomfort I experienced
    I was riding again within a week, having got bored and removed the stitches myself.
  • I'm a urologist and I wouldn't have one.

Several studies have shown that there is a significant incidence of long term testicular pain, such as a study of 470 vasectomy patients which found that 18.7% of respondents experienced chronic genital pain (Choe J, Kirkemo A. Questionnaire-based outcomes study of non-oncological post-vasectomy complications. The Journal of Urology 1996;155:1284–1286).

Find another way!
  • Hi

Post operation pain is an issue - so is the quality of the Surgical Team -But one thing for certain is that medical research is not always good despite over a million papers being produced each year. Very careful consideration should be given to having this procedure and importantly look at the results of more than one old study (over 10 years old)! Remember, many of these studies are done by medics who have no, scientific training and little knowledge or appreciation of statistics and need to publish to develop their careers. I have seen many basic mistakes published. A medic is not a scientist.

On consideration of the information available I made the decision to have this done. I was most happy with the results and the Surgeon was a personal friend.

However, on a different note, the anaesthetic (used due to other complications) caused me a deep depression. On personal research, and surprisingly not well studied - many people suffer from long term depression and psychological effects of anaesthetic long after the period suggested by the Anaesthetic team. If you go ahead I would suggest having it done under a local anaesthetic if possible.

The brain is a funny thing - sham surgery where the patient does not know whether it was real or not - can cure pain and knee disorders!

Good luck and seek as much advice as possible.

Good luck - Tom
  • I'm scheduled in for June next year.....bit of a waiting list apparently...Trying to convince the wife to go with IUD or IUS instead
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had mine done under local. Attended by a rather lovely redhead nurse, who turned up the following week at my son's football match!

No lasting pain / discomfort.

I have had a general anaesthetic on 4 occasions though, and suffered recurring bouts of depression; never considered a connection...(I just put it down to me being a gloomy Northerner)
  • edenchristopher
    edenchristopher Posts: 58
    edited October 2011
    Hi

Post operation pain is an issue - so is the quality of the Surgical Team -But one thing for certain is that medical research is not always good despite over a million papers being produced each year. Very careful consideration should be given to having this procedure and importantly look at the results of more than one old study (over 10 years old)! Remember, many of these studies are done by medics who have no, scientific training and little knowledge or appreciation of statistics and need to publish to develop their careers. I have seen many basic mistakes published. A medic is not a scientist.

On consideration of the information available I made the decision to have this done. I was most happy with the results and the Surgeon was a personal friend.

However, on a different note, the anaesthetic (used due to other complications) caused me a deep depression. On personal research, and surprisingly not well studied - many people suffer from long term depression and psychological effects of anaesthetic long after the period suggested by the Anaesthetic team. If you go ahead I would suggest having it done under a local anaesthetic if possible.

The brain is a funny thing - sham surgery where the patient does not know whether it was real or not - can cure pain and knee disorders!

Good luck and seek as much advice as possible.

Good luck - Tom

You dismiss clinical research because doctors 'have no scientific training and little knowledge or appreciation of statistics' (I've corrected your punctuation), which is nonsense, and then offer advice on the method of anaesthesia based on level 4 evidence (essentially personal opinion)!

How much scientific training have you had?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Isn't it curious how you can read one thing and think "wow that sounds like a lucid, well thought out argument and I'm sure I can agree with that" then someone elses comments (seemigly) blow it out the water and make you question the original argument.

I feel like the guy from the Fast Show. You know the one..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm a urologist and I wouldn't have one.

Several studies have shown that there is a significant incidence of long term testicular pain, such as a study of 470 vasectomy patients which found that 18.7% of respondents experienced chronic genital pain (Choe J, Kirkemo A. Questionnaire-based outcomes study of non-oncological post-vasectomy complications. The Journal of Urology 1996;155:1284–1286).

Find another way!

Most interesting comment. I had the snip some 20 years ago and in the last 15 years or so have developed testicular pain that no one seems to be able to explain(I've had more than a few tests done but nothing has come of it). Strange that no one mentioned this to me as a cause but I'm tempted to go along with what you say. Once again most interesting. Thanx
  • I had the snip nearly 8yrs ago and had a fair amount of low-level discomfort for a few years following the process. The consultant urologist I went to see stated that it was surprisingly common and very unreported (having had the snip himself he also said that he experienced some reoccurring pain). I suspect the people stating here that they were back on the bike in 2 weeks are in the minority and there is a significant majority who prefer not to post if they've had any issues. And generally, why would you? To admit that you voluntarily had a precedure that caused you some ill-effects can seem embarassing to many people.

TBH the feeling of discomfort (not really pain in my case) stayed with me for about 2yrs post-op - sometimes it would be barely noticeable, at other times it would be quite bothersome. I found jogging was about the worst thing I could do, even a couple of years afterwards.

Thankfully everything settled down and there have been no issues for the last 6yrs. With the benefit of hindsight I would think very carefully about the decision, although there are not too many realistic long-term alternatives. Having had 3 kids (twins the second time) the risks of the op in no way outweighed the financial pain/risk of having another set of twins!

To answer the OP's question, I was back on the (road) bike after 4 weeks. I found cycling caused less discomfort than walking for quite a while. I was careful to avoid potholes! I wouldn't have fancied MTB for at least a few months, but each to their own.
  • just don't go do some 200m swimming repeats - i went for said swim 4 weeks post op and ended up back with john wayne for a week.

after that, i didn't risk anything for another couple of weeks.
  • Post-op pain as signified by a questionnaire? I don't think so. This study gets bandied about all the time, if nothing else to show that men can't abide pain.

On another note, I'm not aware that anaesthetics cause depression.

Had a vasectomy under local and I am an anaesthetist.

TomBombadil is probably right about a lot of medical studies. I don't really think scientists' studies are necessarily better.
  • 'Another anaesthetist said that it is well known in the profession, that patients can suffer from mental depression and mania after receiving anaesthetic.' http://www.april.org.uk/pages/anaesthesia.html

Lots of evidence out there that the earth is flat too!

Incidentally, there are plenty of precedents and postcedents for using a validated questionnaire to quantify post-operative pain, such as Steegers MAH et al. Only half of the chronic pain after thoracic surgery shows a neuropathic component. J Pain 2008; 9: 955–61. What would you suggest as an alternative?

BTW is this really a bike forum?!
  • I see another anaesthetist mentioned this in an inquest. I am still unaware of any such evidence of this and I have looked before. I would stand corrected if proved wrong.

I was involved in a follow-up trial following major surgery with questions at 1 month and 6 months to the patients. Depression after surgery was one of the many things being investigated and I am fairly sure the risk was low (considering the level of cancer). The quality of life was the main end point of the study.

To the OP, get a consultant urologist to do it. The better the snipper, the better the snip.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I had mine done under local, if you are, make sure the Dr waits for the anaesthetic to kick in!! For my first ball mine did and was ok, just felt slight tugging,the second he stuck needle in and followed with scalple immediately!! I nearly hit the ceiling !!!
    Then he used sterri strips and some camoff and while I was recovering watchin tv on of my balls was on my thigh almost !! :D so I popped it in and put some stitches back on lol.
    Surprisingly after that recovery was event free and ok within a week or so, others I know took two or three weeks.
    Hope your not from :D Dunstable