Lighter water - URGENT help needed!!!

ooermissus
ooermissus Posts: 811
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
I have just swapped out my bottle cage for a carbon beauty - saving 21g on the old one for the bargain price of only £1.50 per gram! :lol:

However, to my horror, I have now realised that the water that I carry in it is really really really heavy. 500 grams for just half a litre - and that's before you even factor in the bottle itself! It's INSANE! :shock:

Not even drinking it helps - as the weight doesn't go away (duh!) - it simply moves the centre of gravity up, which is BAD. :(

Now I know you can get heavy water for nuclear reactors, but what about light water? Are people already using it? Does it EVEN exist? If not, shouldn't some budding entrepreneur invent it and make good money from those of us who want to shave off the grams?

Even a 10% saving ("light-ish" water) would be well worth it, while superlight water would be a bigger breakthrough than CARBON!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Comments

• Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    ooermissus wrote:

Even a 10% saving ("light-ish" water) would be well worth it, while superlight water would be a bigger breakthrough than CARBON!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Ice :wink:

It's lighter than water by 9% I'm led to believe :wink::wink:

There are some difficulties in drinking it, but I if I am right this problem is solved if you are patient. :lol:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The trick is to blow bubbles through the water before you put it in your bottle.

For best results pour the water in a saucepan and use a straw to blow bubbles through it for about 5 minuets.

With practice you should achieve a 20-25% weight saving.
  • Steam might work. It doesn't weigh much, does it?
  • I thought at first that we should tell water about the cutbacks and that it's going to have to lose a hydrogen molecule. Of course I then realised that that's a stupid idea and that what we need to do is put more hydrogen in as it's lighter than air. There you go. Take that to the Dragons, remembering that it's 50% mine.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Have you considered dessicated water?
  • Master Beights
    Master Beights Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Already sorted
  • It is heart breaking when you pick up your even half filled bottle. The weight!
    I have a different ongoing problem, for years I have been searching for an electrolyte replacement beer. Does not need to be hypertonic, isotonic would be fine.
    My research has involved drinking a lot of beer, in quite a few cases the results have been inconclusive and I have had to to perform the same tests over and over again.

Should I apply to the EU to fund my research?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    A sachet of dehydrated water would seem to be the answer here, either that or water impregnated with Helium rather than the usual Carbon Dioxide :D

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Try H2O tablets, just add water.....
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • fish156 wrote:
    Have you considered dessicated water?

I like the idea, but you want to reduce the density of water without taking the wetness out, otherwise you won't get the same hydration/weight ratio.

Perhaps we're just not being bold enough - rather than drier water, what about lighter and wetter water? :!: :!: :!:
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Take one of these with you, fill up from a nearby stream or pond when thirsty.

ElemarisCoolzwart.jpg
  • I hate this conundrum as well! My advice would be to cycle in heavy rain with your mouth open! Obviously you would have to do it naked so that your clothes didn't become heavier with the extra water!

Full body wax could save a couple of grams! Perhaps try crying before you cycle to empty the tear ducts! Nails trimmed to the nubs... and i wonder how much a kidney weighs??
  • It is heart breaking when you pick up your even half filled bottle. The weight!
    I have a different ongoing problem, for years I have been searching for an electrolyte replacement beer. Does not need to be hypertonic, isotonic would be fine.
    My research has involved drinking a lot of beer, in quite a few cases the results have been inconclusive and I have had to to perform the same tests over and over again.

Should I apply to the EU to fund my research?

this
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    There's Moisture in the air, just breath really really quickly. You won't need to carry bottles. I'll buy youre carbon jobby off you.
  • Have you considered osmosis?

The first steps are too put your hand in a bowl of water as you sleep. Your body then begins absorbing the nourishing liquid by itself. After a few weeks, move onto holding your hand under the tap at work for 10minutes at a time, chanting 'there's no place like frome' under your breath.

By week four, you should be able to drink water from the surrounding air through your pores.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Scientists in China have recently developed a new method for producing deuterium-depleted drinking water, which contains less 'heavy water' than normal tap water:

http://pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/pre ... /ie101820f

It's not clear if they're aware of the enormous potential market for this product amongst weight-conscious cyclists.
  • Have you considered carrying an empty bottle, waiting until you need to take a leak then drinking your own urine?

It's sterile and 95% water and as you're carrying it anyway there's no increase in weight.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Carry two bottles and simply fill one with Hydrogen and the other with oxygen. Quick gasp of each and job's a good un.

As a bonus, the hydrogen bottle will actually float if you get a light enough bottle!! Actually thinking of it - team domestiques may actually float away if they use this tactic in the TdF when collecting for the team. :idea:
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Bah !!! Too scientific you lot.

There's a valley up in North Yorkshire where you can get this light water stuff, at least that's what it says on sign posts. :wink:

And another thing water is naturally lighter up here. There's been many a day when I've seen it floating in the air.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    This is what you want
    9000803.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Deuterium-depleted water is what you're looking for.
  • Deuterium-depleted water is what you're looking for.

OMG. Exciting. :D

And - no surprise here - the Chinese are leading the way in trying to bring light water to the masses:
    In an effort to produce mass quantities of healthier H2O, Chinese scientists have come up with a new method to change water’s chemical composition. It involves making light water...

[Currently] it’s hard to produce — current methods include electrolysis, distillation, a high-temperature exchange method that uses hydrogen sulfide, and desalination from seawater, according to authors Feng Huang and Changgong Meng of the Department of Chemistry at Dalian University of Technology in China. These methods are either expensive, inefficient or bad for the environment.

The authors propose a new method involving a platinum catalyst, which quickly removes deuterium from water using cold and hot temperatures, according to the American Chemical Society. The result is water with a deuterium concentration of roughly 125 ppm.
    The method could be the basis for industrial-scale light water production — and a new way to produce huge quantities of healthier water for the masses.

Soon we'll all be importing our water direct from China, I reckon - just like the rest of our bikes.

But how much weight am I going to save? And are they going to be able to provide it at acceptable cost? There's no way I am paying more than £2 a gram at the upper limit - I am not made of money!!!!
  • You are all thinking too small

Water has a molar mass of 18.0148 g / mol. (Based on the naturally ocurring isotopes)

Taking deuterium depleted water further there is an isotope of oxygen with a molecular weight of only 12 (a 25% reduction over 'natural' oxgyen)

This means you could have lighter water at just 14 g / mol - a massive weight saving over normal water

The only issue is that it will have a half-life of less than a fraction of a second before decaying into nitrogen - but you can't have everything.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684

I'm afraid I can't recommend a suitable beer, but if you want something stronger, try this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06254FF0o10

Edit: I see someone beat me to it with the same M&W clip. Oh well....

:)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I thought at first that we should tell water about the cutbacks and that it's going to have to lose a hydrogen molecule. Of course I then realised that that's a stupid idea and that what we need to do is put more hydrogen in as it's lighter than air. There you go. Take that to the Dragons, remembering that it's 50% mine.

Remember the Dragons are going to want double whatever equity stake you offer, a kidney, first dibs on your corneas and your first born's soul to be kept for eternity...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    This thread made it to Cycling+ this month. Page 51. Roll-call of honour goes to:-

Ooermissus
    RichardSwt
    Deptfordmarmoset
    Stewie Griffin
    Fidh156
    McBain_v1
    Ziggycycledust
    Me!!

Enjoy your month of fame guys!! :D:D
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Carry two bottles and simply fill one with Hydrogen and the other with oxygen. Quick gasp of each and job's a good un.

As a bonus, the hydrogen bottle will actually float if you get a light enough bottle!! Actually thinking of it - team domestiques may actually float away if they use this tactic in the TdF when collecting for the team. :idea:

Of course...the resultant explosion would blow a rather large hole in your esophagus....but I guess that would save some weight too :shock:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This thread made it to Cycling+ this month. Page 51. Roll-call of honour goes to:-

Ooermissus
    RichardSwt
    Deptfordmarmoset
    Stewie Griffin
    Fidh156
    McBain_v1
    Ziggycycledust
    Me!!

Enjoy your month of fame guys!! :D:D

I didn't make the list?

Outrageous.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    There is a solution.... The cyclist's friend, yes carbon...

You can now get water that is based upon carbon: carbonated water...

It's not cheap though, compared to normal water. The best is from the small European factories, such as Evian and.....

Campagnol'eau...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Nah that Campagnolo water is just overpriced, shiny tat that people who have been suckered into buying it feel like they have to evangelise about it to each other becasue they re so upset....(*ducks*)

SRAM water is much nicer, hence people hjave won so many races on it, although this new electric water from Shimano (D2I) sounds interesting, especially now there is a cheaper version available...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver