Mud, Sweat and Gears 2012

Comments

• bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    pilch wrote:
    Had a good race, loved the course and loving the new bike - 10th vets, here's me doing my best Bevis impression down the sandpit
    6890268842_b088e22340.jpg

well done thats a good result - Im guessing from there you werent stuck in traffic for two hours
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Yeah, had a good start & nailed it up the long section to the 1st singletrack, after that evreything was moving pretty freely and I just moved up when I could
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Have to agree with bigdawg as I thought this course was horrible! I thought Thetford was bad for humps but they seemed to cram as many as they could in the 8km course. There were no hills to speak of and a lack of overtaking points so if any fast guys wanted to get past you had to slow down an pull over into the trees!
    The two bomb holes were good, one technical and testing just to stay upright and the other needing a little faith.
    Everyone was kind and polite with lots of please and thank you during the race.
    My start wasn't great and had to pull over on third lap to check my front tyre had sealed from a puncture which sprayed my face in sealant lol. Thank the lord for tubeless!!!!
    I must admit I was hoping for a top 16 finish but wasn't gonna be my day. Tried catching best I could on lap 5 but to little too late :( finished 24th in sport and hoping this is my worst result of series lol
    Roll on Round 2!! 8)
  • flange.
    flange. Posts: 38
    In contrast, I loved it. Proper fast course, really bumpy, dusty but the bit after the first bombhole was glorious.

Had a much better result that the nationals the week prior, got myself some points and happy all round. 6 laps was a killer though, I was out of fluids on the 5th. I pre-rode the course on the Saturday and got lost - which was a blessing because I found loads of new singletrack I've never ridden at Tunstall before. I'm a proper Tunstall convert, I'll be heading there rather than Thetford from now on.

As an aside, the MSG/TROG crew did a great job of organising the event and everyone was really cheery and friendly. A big contrast to the last winter series at Thetford...
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    Looked like great fun to me as first time spectator and potential future rider. I watched the morning session and had a wander around the course so I can go back and ride it later :D

Saw one moment of potential disaster on the second lap when a herd of deer ran throught the riders on the dense wooded section after the first bomb hole. A few seconds either way and someone would have taken a serious hit. Unfortunately the TROG cameraman I was chatting to was set up looking the other way so it's not on film.
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    At least it wasnt wet! every other race in that part of Tunstall has been a wash out.....

Bigdawg, spotted the Brooklyn top riding round, you looked like you were having a grim time of it from the sidelines to me, and not really enjoying it as you should.

As for the friendly nature of the day, i would question it a little, standing on the feed zone straight, towards the end of the afternoon race (with my 7 year old daughter) i have to say i wasnt too impressed with some of what i heard, its not hard to notice thats the main point for spectators/helpers and lots of kids, its not really needed.
  • bigdawg
    having now had a while to mull it over I still think it was all down to that start. Having a nose through the results I see guys I I usually fly past ten places up... Within five minutes of the start I got stuck behind a guy at the start of the singletrack who wouldnt move over and i think there were about 10 people queued behind him by the time we could get past (and he didnt get a lot of thanks!) and that was the story of my race - 5minutes getting up to speed, then stuck behind a group of riders in singletrack, easily lost anything up to a minute a lap just sat behind slow riders - very frustrating, that and the bumpy nature of the course and youre right I wasnt in the best of moods, and what was up with that little stretch just before the start finish, it felt like riding through glue??

On the whole I did find most people in good spirits and a joy to ride with, there were a few people taking things a teeny bit too seriously, and some language that needn't have been used (esp when your at the tail end of the sports field, going bakcwards, no need to swear at someone youve been holding up for half a lap) - even in the kids race...!

Oh well hopefully on to better and more open courses, take this as lesson learnt re getting a better start.

Are there any more pics up anywhere..?!?!

• bigdawg
    Just had a proper look over the results - the top four or five in the vets at least would have had effectively the same position in the elite category... Nice to see people cruising for easier wins...

• C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    No photo's of me anywhere....
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    bigdawg wrote:
    Just had a proper look over the results - the top four or five in the vets at least would have had effectively the same position in the elite category... Nice to see people cruising for easier wins...

My mate Rich won the Elite... I doubt he was 'cruising', maybe the old boys just got faster :wink:, Paul Ashby (vets winner) is a Machine...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bigdawg
    No not the elite winner cruising, the vets winner, going for an easy win. Admittedly its an old bugbear of mine from years back - always wanted a points system in mtb - but surely someone with those times (in the vets) should be in the elite category.

Hell I could have entered the elite and got better points / position than in vets, and got a better start!

Hmmmmm....

• evo3ben
    A week and a half to go till Hylands Park 8) never been there before. Hoping it's not like tunstall with then stupid humpy bumpy things lol. Weather not looking good though could be a wet muddy race.
  • bigdawg
    I was think that this morning looks like rain for the next week at least...

VW whats it likely to be like - crappy like codham or ridable??

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    It holds up pretty well over there, what i will say is the roots over the far side if its raining will catch a lot of people out.
    Over the last few months they have put down quite a lot of stones on the single track to make it more "all weather" but they are big stones and it slows you right down. Also worth remembering they have a few long grass areas to cover too (always nice in the rain)
    will be interesting to see what sort of track they put together for you there.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    you not here either..??

• VWsurfbum
    Long story short, I was meant to be at a porsche club day with the old man, he's now critacally ill in hospital. Unlikely i will be out on the bikes for a while.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Long story short, I was meant to be at a porsche club day with the old man, he's now critacally ill in hospital. Unlikely i will be out on the bikes for a while.

Sorry to hear about your dad VW, hope all works out okay

Looking forward to Hylands, it'll be my first time there as well
  • bigdawg
    sorry to hear about your dad VW - thoughts are with you...

• VWsurfbum
    Cheers chaps. Not an easy time, and I could do with a bit of racing to take my mind off it.
    Just shows doesn't matter how fit you are/was anything can happen.
    This started out as a straight forward plastic knee replacement and now he head rhumatoid arthritis on the lungs and is sedated and kept paralised as the drugs they gave him 2 years ago
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    I'll be trying out an on bike camera next sunday, so if evryone can can slow down towards the end of the last lap to make sure I can catch you and get you on film as I pass, otherwise you won't be famous on film.....
  • bigdawg
    you might need to waterproof it first!!

not looking great:

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/E ... /long.html

• C0LL0
    I'd better be changing my tyres as well, knew it was too early for semi slicks :(
  • evo3ben
    Same here. Just changed my rear tyre today as a really cant see it drying out over the next week. Its wetter now than it has been all through winter lol
  • bigdawg
    VW did say it drains well and some of hte stuff I was riding this weekend (albeit not in Chelmsford) was bone dry!

However the forecast is now for rain on Sunday too!!

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    The forecast isn't too good at the moment, if it's chucking it down on Sunday I'll stay in bed. With the big time difference between the womens and mens events, and with wifey entered, I don't fancy spending a day sitting in the car waiting for the mens afternoon ride.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Guys with local knowledge - given the current 'muddines' and the fact rain's on its way. What would you say tyre wise?
  • VWsurfbum
    Rons or XKings.
    I'm tempted to do it now? knowing the terrain in these tricky decisions could work to my advantage and cover my lack of training :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    401639_203335486449503_147369388712780_313076_68241756_n.jpgTrying to work out where this bit is?

this looks good
    536097_203335903116128_147369388712780_313082_1463409923_n.jpg

but this will still be fast but sticky.
    581193_203335996449452_147369388712780_313083_1950697006_n.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty