To fix a p*ncture or not...that is the question?

2»

Comments

• iPete wrote:
    Use Tip Top Touring patches [glue] and never had a repair fail, pre-glued on the other hand.. :evil:

+1. I take a spare tube with me and a pack of instants patches in case of a second event on the same ride (though I've yet to have need of them), and fix the removed tube when I get home. In the last 10 years, I've only binned one tube - where there was a tear near the valve - and I've yet to have a repair fail.

You can also buy just the patches with Tip Top so you can use up all the vulcanizing solution that's left in the kit once you've used the supplied patches...

_
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I count binning tubes as a crime of similar wrongness as eating babies. I'll only scrap a tube if it fails at the valve.

I use the old fashioned method at home - it isn't any slower than using glueless really and I have more faith in the repair.

Not that I've tried it yet but apparently, if after about 20 years you have to scrap a tube, you can use the rubber as a source of more patches.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.
    And me.
    I carry a small repair kit as well, in case of lightning striking twice.

I do that too. I carry 2 tubes and once, only once I punctured twice

Same here, but don't carry repair kit.
    If patches are too near then bin the tube, happened once in 38yr.
    Current tubes probably have a dozen patches each.
  • Pep
    Rolf F wrote:
    apparently, if after about 20 years you have to scrap a tube, you can use the rubber as a source of more patches.

Yes, I can confirm.
    It was a big surprise to learn that they even SELL patches.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pep wrote:
    Current tubes probably have a dozen patches each.

:shock:

Good lord think of the extra weight :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At the roadside I swap in the spare tube (I carry some self adhesive patches for Justin...), when I get home I fix the tube with old school glue on patches and then replace the new tube with it so my spare tube is still 'nearly new'.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I
    New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.

And another.

& again
  • Marathons

This is the most effective prevention method I've used so far.

I always patch but carry a spare tube to save time at the side of the road.

All the instant patches I've tried were s*#te old school patches work every time for me. :)
    FCN = 8/9 Black Tourer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I

And another.

& again

But why? Have you patched close together in the past and the repair has failed?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pep
    Rolf F wrote:
    I

And another.

& again

But why? Have you patched close together in the past and the repair has failed?
    Not happened yet to me, but whenever two punctures are near I'm afraid it's going to happen.
    The only failure so far has been when the puncture is very near the valve.
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    I

And another.

& again

& again. Anyone tried slimes?
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rolf F wrote:
    I count binning tubes as a crime of similar wrongness as eating babies. I'll only scrap a tube if it fails at the valve.
    Quite. This is something that James May's ManLab (back tonight) should pick up on as an example of modern man's inability to carry out simple tasks that our parents' generation took for granted.

I always patch at the roadside, unless it's an organised event. The total downtime for a visit isn't extended by any significant amount by the difference between patching & swapping tubes, and once it's done it's done. And like a good weld, a properly applied patch is stronger than the original tube. I'd rather keep to a minimum the number of times I have to get the Pro 3s off & back on the rims. Fun it ain't.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    I carry a repair kit and spare tube. Used to swap tubes first but tend to patch on spot now, find it easier if you can spot the hole quick. No messing around taking the wheel or the whole tube out.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Quite. This is something that James May's ManLab (back tonight) should pick up on as an example of modern man's inability to carry out simple tasks that our parents' generation took for granted.

I always patch at the roadside, unless it's an organised event. The total downtime for a visit isn't extended by any significant amount by the difference between patching & swapping tubes, and once it's done it's done. And like a good weld, a properly applied patch is stronger than the original tube. I'd rather keep to a minimum the number of times I have to get the Pro 3s off & back on the rims. Fun it ain't.

This.

I save up tubes and patch a load at once. That way I can use a whole tube of rubber cement in one go and not leave half of it to go icky and become useless.

Old tubes die when the valve fails, and then they can be cut into new patches, rubber bands, chainstay protectors, Lady Gaga outfits etc.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I fixed a puncture on my baby's pram last night.

Very manly.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ^^ I swear to goodness that I have had more trouble mending punctures on a pram than I ever had on a bike. Life got easier when I found a place that sold tubes with angled valves. Thankfully we have given away our Phil & Ted's and it won't be long before the McClaren goes the same way.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    we have a right angled valve adaptor.

but I've lost it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've been stopped a few times whilst fettling by one of our neighbours to pump up her pram tyres. Every time she tries she seems to let more air out than she gets in, Her husband is even worse.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Old school glued patches every time. Even at the side of the road

I'm tight. :wink:

Yarp, same here. Unless the tube has exploded whilst being pumped up. In which case I replace the tube and wait for my hearing to come back.... :oops:

+1 I can still hear the Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep when I think about the inner tube peeping out between the rim and the tire. Tried to undo the valve but alas...
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Libraio wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Old school glued patches every time. Even at the side of the road

I'm tight. :wink:

Yarp, same here. Unless the tube has exploded whilst being pumped up. In which case I replace the tube and wait for my hearing to come back.... :oops:

+1 I can still hear the Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep when I think about the inner tube peeping out between the rim and the tire. Tried to undo the valve but alas...

Uh huh, last one I changed clearly wasn't quite right and I pulled over about 5 seconds before the thing blew with a hell of a bang. That was after fitting a new (last one on me) tube. Had to leave the bike at work and get the train back.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I use Leeches from Halfords. Only had one repair fail and even then it tends to be a slow release.

I've gotten so used to using them that I don't need to take the wheel of to fix a puncture so it's quicker than either replacing the tube or using glue.

I've had a few people tell me they wouldn't consider riding to work because the old school method is so hard to master, I never did.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    This morning I had visit from the PF, new tube fitted and old tube put in bin next to oval station. Tonight I will take a new one out of stock and place it in the saddle bag. At £3 a tube I cannot be bothered. Must buy c02 though...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I normally stick a fresh tube in after checking the tyre to make sure there's nothing still in there to puncture the new tube.

But at the same time I also repair the tube I have just removed using glue and patch and that goes back into my bag for future use.

My record was 19 patches on one tube but that was back in the 80's when i was a mere boy and used my mum's spoons Uri Geller stylee to remove the tyre.
    FCN = 4