To fix a p*ncture or not...that is the question?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
What do you guys do?

do you just swap the tube when your out an fix it when you get home or replace tube an sling the old one?

i have had 3 "visits" in the past few days (changed tyres an tubes an on different wheels!) an have used up my stock of spare tubes. so debating which tubes to buy....

does anyone glue patches on any more?

them instant repair kits are pants in my opinion (tried scabs an Muc-off flavours)
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    With the price of tubes now I use those instant patches when i get home. Think my current tube has about 4 patches on :lol:
  • willy b wrote:
    With the price of tubes now I use those instant patches when i get home. Think my current tube has about 4 patches on :lol:
    +1 but I bin a tube with 4 patches or if two patches are within an inch or so... but tubes aren't that expensive, less than £4 in packs of 10 and only £5 each bought individually...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    On the road side i just stick a new tube in after checking teh tyre to make sure it won't just screw the new tube going in. I have pack of instant patches i carry with me just as a back up but usually fix it with an old school glue patch when i get home.

If it's a snake bite I bin it if it's not I patch it, 4 patches the tube goes in the bin.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I used to use new innertubes on the rare occaision I get a puncture. But now I tend to patch them. I have some stick-on patches that came with some Park Tools tire levers and they work really well.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Old school glued patches every time. Even at the side of the road

I'm tight. :wink:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SimonAH wrote:
    Old school glued patches every time. Even at the side of the road

I'm tight. :wink:

Yarp, same here. Unless the tube has exploded whilst being pumped up. In which case I replace the tube and wait for my hearing to come back.... :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Change to new the by the side of the road and then glue+patch once I get home.... Well actually I tend to wait til I've got 4 or 5 punctured tubes and then do the lot in 1 go....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Change to new the by the side of the road and then glue+patch once I get home.... Well actually I tend to wait til I've got 4 or 5 punctured tubes and then do the lot in 1 go....

+1
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.

And another.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    replace the tube at the roadside and repair the old tube at home in my own time and then stow that one away in my pannier bag or rucksac as a spare for the next time.

For the past three years I have been running on the same three tubes and only two repairs :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

+1

+2
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.
    And another.
    And yet another
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    And me.
    I carry a small repair kit as well, in case of lightning striking twice.
    A small piece of duck tape and a tyre boot have proven their worth.
    And if all else fails, there's a tenner in the repair kit to get a cab/buy a new tube/buy beer while waiting for help.
    Misguided Idealist
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Ditto, plus I don't use the chalk when repairing at home, just let the glue dry in the workshop over a day or 7.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I throw the whole bike away and get a new one. :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • New tube roadside, glue repair when I get home. If the patches are close I bin it.
    And me.
    I carry a small repair kit as well, in case of lightning striking twice.

I do that too. I carry 2 tubes and once, only once I punctured twice on the way home (pre carrying repair kit days). Had to do an ET and phone home, Ms EC came to collect me. Lucky for me, I punctured within sight of a pub!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    new innertube each time, I've tried fixing them before, but somehow it just doesn't work for me, so it's bin it for the sake of my sanity

happy to keep them for anyone if they want to fix em and use em
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I generally fix them. I carry spare tubes though, so if it's raining heavily or my hands are too cold, I'll just whack in a new tube and repair when I've got somewhere warm and dry.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mudcow007
    for all of you that say you repair them, do you use the old glue an patch or instant type?

i prefer the traditional type but felt like a pauper asking for the kit in my LBS

where do you buy yours?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:
    for all of you that say you repair them, do you use the old glue an patch or instant type?

i prefer the traditional type but felt like a pauper asking for the kit in my LBS

where do you buy yours?

Old glue and patch method, purchased from the LBS. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I never try to patch a tube on the roadside,I take them home to repair.
    The trouble is I now have 20 plus innertubes in my shed awaiting patching ! :roll:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've always used old style patches with vulcanising cement. I bought some Park Tool self adhesive patches (Super Patch Kit) about a month ago, but I've yet to have cause to use one. I'm a little wary of them, truth be told, but there's less stuff to carry and less faffing around, so I hope they're effective.

I bought mine from brilliantbikes.co.uk along with some new levers and Brompton tubes & tyres.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Marathons
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Use Tip Top Touring patches [glue] and never had a repair fail, pre-glued on the other hand.. :evil:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Glue and patch for me. I've lost count of the number of times pre-glued has failed on me.
  • mudcow007
    Marathons

i swapped over to marathons +'s on Friday but still picked up a flat this morning (running them at 100psi)

l
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Clever Pun wrote:
    new innertube each time, I've tried fixing them before, but somehow it just doesn't work for me, so it's bin it for the sake of my sanity

happy to keep them for anyone if they want to fix em and use em

Bagsy!

I'm as poor as DDD doesn't realise he's going to be 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Oh and for info, I use a spare tube by the road and glue patches at home. I've got some park self adhesive ones in my pack for an emergency but I've never had one work properly.

Just put latex tubes in the Rhigos, no way I'm chucking them!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I do like the Park Tools patches.They bond quite quickly, but you need to fit properly. Have used these for 2 years and had only 1 fail, probably was a faulty fitter (me).

A lot less faff than glue and IMHO just as good.

Best piece of advise after a visit is to determine what caused it and check very carefully your tyre for the presence of a buried bit of glass and or other sharp thing. Nowt worse than another punture (or two) in the same place!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"