Recommendations for a pursuit frame

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited February 2012 in Track
I am looking for a new track bike specifically designed to squeeze out every last second in the pursuit. Stiffness isn't as important to me as aerodynamics (I'm definitely not a sprinter).

I realise this is probably a subjective question and not many folks will have experience with high-end pursuit specific frames, but if anyone has thoughts - love to hear them.

Right now looking at a Look 596 or a Felt TK1 Endurance.

Anything else?

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The only top end frames for IP missing from your list are the BT, Cervelo T3 and Dolan Forza.

If you're serious about the Look, you might need to use your connections to get hold of one - they are built to order and national squads come 1st.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pokerface
    Eddy S wrote:
    The only top end frames for IP missing from your list are the BT, Cervelo T3 and Dolan Forza.

If you're serious about the Look, you might need to use your connections to get hold of one - they are built to order and national squads come 1st.

I have connections with Look - yes. Very pricey, but my first choice.

Cervelo T3 or T4 also highly rated.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Pokerface wrote:
    I have connections with Look - yes. Very pricey, but my first choice..
    I'll remember that for when I come to buy my 496 Track! LOL! :wink:

The Looks are suddenly very popular this season - so many of the national teams had them at the European Champs this w/e. You'd better order your 596 now if you want it in time for the World Champs.

If your budget is big enough, there is always the UKSI frame... :shock:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pokerface
    Looks like it's gonna be the Look 596. Got a sweet deal on it. Just awaiting confirmation on delivery time (yes - they do take a long time to get!)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have a chineese imported one (genuine not ebay seconds) but it is a very good frame, also very stiff. As you probably know it is not the cost of the frame that nakes it good as all the majotr ones are made in the same place and mostly by Giant or Merida. Some of the import ones are Identical to major brands, you would be gard pressed to see the slight modifications needed to make them exclsuive to the major companise :D
    DSCF2428.jpg
  • Pokerface
    I have a chineese imported one (genuine not ebay seconds) but it is a very good frame, also very stiff. As you probably know it is not the cost of the frame that nakes it good as all the majotr ones are made in the same place and mostly by Giant or Merida. Some of the import ones are Identical to major brands, you would be gard pressed to see the slight modifications needed to make them exclsuive to the major companise :D
    DSCF2428.jpg

I'm assuming that as it's going to take the next 2 months to get my Look handmade, that it's not done in that same factory in China as the rest! Nice to have a 'brand name' with w rich pedigree in the sport though.

Although I really did like the look of your frame - and a custom paint job would have been nice. Especially as I'm gonna have to have the Look either repainted or covered over for the Paralympics (branding restrictions).
  • oldwelshman
    There is no such thing as a hand made carbon frame lol they are moulded. If it was a one off frame it would costs hundreds of thousands of pounds to make. They have to do a run of many to make it viable. Some of the modifcations are done after the moulding process so that why some look identical but technically are not.
    There are hardly any carbon frames, if any,made outside of Asia, that goes for Look, Pinarello,Merida, Giant,Colnago, and all the others.
    If you want a paint job look at these :-) Some of your compatriots in the ladies team I know and have trained with were interested in the helmet paint job :D
    Look in my signature and when in photo buckt look at album called bikes, I had a pinarello prince airbrushed, cost me £250 for bike and bars.

DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0390.jpg
    DSCF1647.jpg
    DSCF1650.jpg
    DSCF1643.jpg
    DSCF1642.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Look call it a 'handmade frame with a 3 month turnaround time'. I am sure there is a pre-made mould involved, but it's certainly not mass produced. I have no idea why they take so long to produce. And they are pretty rare (in the grand scheme of track bikes).

I like your helmet - I shall be getting some custom paint jobs in the next year (probably a few).

And I'll be training with the girls pursuit squad in Majorca in a few weeks.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    edited November 2011
    That Dream bike looks nice, as long as it rides nicely and it's stiff enough for you.

Pokerface what's your budget?

I'd not add much to the debate and just say T3 like Eddy S did. They look so sweet and are world level right off the peg. Watching the Euro champs then the World Cup on TV I wondered "how big is the market for top flight track equipment" and it seems quite big. There are guys in Iran and Azerbaijan to name 2 random countires who are riding Looks so I could well believe their order books are full up.

Would you not trust your personal best to a Dolan or Planet X?

Lastly, it's more of a sprint bike (I'm led to believe) but the Ridley Arena looks obsultely stunning.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pokerface
    That Dream bike looks nice, as long as it rides nicely and it's stiff enough for you.

Pokerface what's your budget?

I'd not add much to the debate and just say T3 like Eddy S did. They look so sweet and are world level right off the peg. Watching the Euro champs then the World Cup on TV I wondered "how big is the market for top flight track equipment" and it seems quite big. There are guys in Iran and Azerbaijan to name 2 random countires who are riding Looks so I could well believe their order books are full up.

Would you not trust your personal best to a Dolan or Planet X?

Lastly, it's more of a spring bike (I'm led to believe) but the Ridley Arena looks obsultely stunning.

As per my previous post - I ordered the Look. Should be with me in the next 6 weeks. It cost me less than what a Cervelo would have cost me!
  • No recommendations from me cos i know that i know less than squat about this subject! However i just wanted to say that I'm surprised that a world champion has to fund his own bike, all be it at a reduced price. I'd have thought that manufacturers would be jumping over each other in order for their products to be seen. I think I saw somewhere to that you have to pay for your own kit? Seems harsh to me.
  • Pokerface
    No idea how it rides yet, but a quick pic of the new bike. First test ride Friday AM:

Look596.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Pokerface wrote:
    No idea how it rides yet, but a quick pic of the new bike. First test ride Friday AM:

Look596.jpg

Very distinctive bike. What's that hanging below the saddle?
  • Pokerface
    Pross wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Look596.jpg

Very distinctive bike. What's that hanging below the saddle?

That's the SRM computer. Mounted in line with the seat post to keep it 'aero'. You're not allowed to have it where you can see it when racing! Plus it's wired so all the wiring runs up the back of the seat tube.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Pokerface wrote:

Look596.jpg

Yummy - roll on Friday!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • That'll be on the track in Majorca or closer to home?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Pokerface
    That'll be on the track in Majorca or closer to home?

Manchester
  • Mmmmm nice. Look fwd to report on how much quicker you are
  • Pokerface
    Still need to get the position dialled in - but it was around 1/2 a second faster per lap than my previous bike. That's a pretty big difference!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Pokerface wrote:
    Still need to get the position dialled in - but it was around 1/2 a second faster per lap than my previous bike. That's a pretty big difference!

:shock:
    Nice one :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • oldwelshman
    Pokerface wrote:
    Silly question but was the 1/2 second difference for the same power output as 1/2 second a lap is a massive amout, if I could improve 1/2 sec a lap I would have medalled in the worlds this year :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Silly question but was the 1/2 second difference for the same power output as 1/2 second a lap is a massive amout, if I could improve 1/2 sec a lap I would have medalled in the worlds this year :D

Yes. Same power.
  • oldwelshman
    Thats a huge difference for same power, is the bike like 5kg lighter, you lost 5kg or was you riding with a parachute before ? :D
  • Pokerface
    Thats a huge difference for same power, is the bike like 5kg lighter, you lost 5kg or was you riding with a parachute before ? :D

Better aerodynamics and position on the bike. Old bike wasn't able to give me the correct position due to a number of factors. (And the new bike is probably heavier - but a whole lot stiffer and handles MUCH better).
  • Out of curiosity, What does half a second equate to distance wise? Is it a meter per lap? More or less?
  • Pokerface
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, What does half a second equate to distance wise? Is it a meter per lap? More or less?

Depends on your speed obviously - but in this case around 6.5 meters (19.2 seconds a lap = 13 meters a second)
  • Wow! Knew you'd have good times but that sounds and will look phenomenal. How far behind "the big boys" and that is meant with the greatest respect?
  • Pokerface
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Wow! Knew you'd have good times but that sounds and will look phenomenal. How far behind "the big boys" and that is meant with the greatest respect?

On a good day, I'd be at least 2 to 3 seconds a lap behind Jack Bobridge and his world record. But I'll be trying to break the World Record for my class in a few weeks.
  • how close to chris b's record is that? :O i know jackie B is the record holder
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Wow! Knew you'd have good times but that sounds and will look phenomenal. How far behind "the big boys" and that is meant with the greatest respect?

On a good day, I'd be at least 2 to 3 seconds a lap behind Jack Bobridge and his world record. But I'll be trying to break the World Record for my class in a few weeks.

Pretty impressive none the less. Fingers crossed for attempt. If in Manchester will it be an open session?