13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RDW wrote:
    Technological Singularity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
    http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vinge ... arity.html

"Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended.
    ..Just so I'm not guilty of a relative-time ambiguity, let me more specific: I'll be surprised if this event occurs before 2005 or after 2030.
    "

So any day now, then.

We'll know it's about to happen when Siri, the new CEO of Apple, announces that the iPhone 7G will have a direct neural interface and a selection of 'Mind Apps'. On the bright side, our Borg-like successors will be able to control the Shimano Di4 shifters on their integrated carbon exoskeletal propulsion systems by thought alone.

Seriously, have you played Deus Ex?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    RDW wrote:
    On the bright side, our Borg-like successors will be able to control the Shimano Di4 shifters on their integrated carbon exoskeletal propulsion systems by thought alone.

Course, if they truly had superhuman intelligence, they'd be on Campag Record. :P

<ducks and runs for cover>

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I think the fast depletion of natural resourses, coupled with the greed of the 'top' echelons of humanity to preserve for them & their families, the social breakdown of our/all society - breeding of feral children accelerating beyond what the world can provide will generate gang warfare on an unimaginable scale. This would lead to nobody 'farming' to provide basic staple diet foodstuffs and ultimately humankind dying out.
    If you think about it most governments of the world over the past 25yrs have slowly withdrawn what they are able/willing to provide for their people and the high ups obtaining more & more & more for themselves, famine in the bread basket of Africa etc, most nations are manufacturing less and less - where does it all end ? Humankind dying out.....!

Sorry to be a depressing harbinger etc, but unless things turn around fairly sharpish, I worry for my offsprings' future....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    vitesse169 wrote:
    I think the fast depletion of natural resourses, coupled with the greed of the 'top' echelons of humanity to preserve for them & their families, the social breakdown of our/all society - breeding of feral children accelerating beyond what the world can provide will generate gang warfare on an unimaginable scale. This would lead to nobody 'farming' to provide basic staple diet foodstuffs and ultimately humankind dying out.
    If you think about it most governments of the world over the past 25yrs have slowly withdrawn what they are able/willing to provide for their people and the high ups obtaining more & more & more for themselves, famine in the bread basket of Africa etc, most nations are manufacturing less and less - where does it all end ? Humankind dying out.....!

Sorry to be a depressing harbinger etc, but unless things turn around fairly sharpish, I worry for my offsprings' future....

People have been saying the same stuff for 200 years and it never happens.